Which Setup? Passive / Active - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 wilsonx will become famous soon enoughwilsonx will become famous soon enoughwilsonx will become famous soon enoughwilsonx will become famous soon enoughwilsonx will become famous soon enoughwilsonx will become famous soon enough

Default Which Setup? Volvo V60 Wagon

I have a Volvo V60 Cross Country, 2018, everything currently factory (non-Harman Kardon).

Front: 6.75" woofer, 1" tweeter
Rear: 6.75" woofer

I have a tendency to take months choosing things that cost this much, and I'm trying to avoid that because it's a huge time suck. So I've made a few impulse buys (which are all returnable currently):

1) Audiofrog G60s component speakers (6" woofer, 1" tweeter)
2) Audiofrog GS60 (6" woofer)
3) Alpine PDX-V9 (5-channel amp)

So now that I have this stuff I'm thinking maybe I should return the G60s components, and buy the GS10 tweeters to pair with the GS60 woofers up front. Seems kind of a waste to have what I assume are better woofers (GS60 vs. the ones in the G60s) in the rear. Basically my question is what is what should I go with between these options:

1) Active setup up front, with GS60 / GS10, and nothing in the rear, or
2) Passive setup up front, with G60s components (2 channels), and GS60 in the rear (2 channels)

Both of these would leave a channel for a sub (recommendations welcome--I am not a bass head, just want something tight that will complement the speakers).

Or is there something else entirely I should be doing?

What DSP should I go for? The chat guy at Crutchfield recommended the Kicker Front Row, but I'm guessing that's because it's collecting dust in their warehouse. I have been thinking about miniDSP since it seems relatively easy to use.

Thanks for any help. Sorry if my questions betray my ignorance.

Last edited by wilsonx; 1 Week Ago at 09:52 AM..
wilsonx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Rep Power: 5 mpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Which Setup? Passive / Active

Always active if that's an option. To my older ears my system made some huge improvements when I went full active with no rear speakers. I have 5 speakers in the car. Tweeters and mids up front and a single sub out back. Using a Kicker IQ1000.5 amp which was a great option for me with everything in a single chassis. Tuning is key.
mpm17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mpm17 For This Useful Post:
wilsonx (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 55 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Which Setup? Volvo V60 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonx View Post
I have a Volvo V60 Cross Country, 2018, everything currently factory (non-Harman Kardon).

Front: 6.75" woofer, 1" tweeter
Rear: 6.75" woofer

I have a tendency to take months choosing things that cost this much, and I'm trying to avoid that because it's a huge time suck. So I've made a few impulse buys (which are all returnable currently):

1) Audiofrog G60s component speakers (6" woofer, 1" tweeter)
2) Audiofrog GS60 (6" woofer)
3) Alpine PDX-V9 (5-channel amp)

So now that I have this stuff I'm thinking maybe I should return the G60s components, and buy the GS10 tweeters to pair with the GS60 woofers up front. Seems kind of a waste to have what I assume are better woofers (GS60 vs. the ones in the G60s) in the rear. Basically my question is what is what should I go with between these options:

1) Active setup up front, with GS60 / GS10, and nothing in the rear, or
2) Passive setup up front, with G60s components (2 channels), and GS60 in the rear (2 channels)

Both of these would leave a channel for a sub (recommendations welcome--I am not a bass head, just want something tight that will complement the speakers).

Or is there something else entirely I should be doing?

What DSP should I go for? The chat guy at Crutchfield recommended the Kicker Front Row, but I'm guessing that's because it's collecting dust in their warehouse. I have been thinking about miniDSP since it seems relatively easy to use.

Thanks for any help. Sorry if my questions betray my ignorance.
Ignorance and impulse do not make a great combo.
I understand "just wanting it done", but "wanting what done", and why?
(I wôuld return it all, and get some cogent plan established based upon goals.)

Or since that gear is good, just put it in.
(Then if you don't like it, just pull it out, sell it, and do an upgrade.)
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Holmz For This Useful Post:
wilsonx (1 Week Ago)

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Rep Power: 0 wilsonx will become famous soon enoughwilsonx will become famous soon enoughwilsonx will become famous soon enoughwilsonx will become famous soon enoughwilsonx will become famous soon enoughwilsonx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm17 View Post
Always active if that's an option. To my older ears my system made some huge improvements when I went full active with no rear speakers. I have 5 speakers in the car. Tweeters and mids up front and a single sub out back. Using a Kicker IQ1000.5 amp which was a great option for me with everything in a single chassis. Tuning is key.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll dump the rear speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Ignorance and impulse do not make a great combo.
I understand "just wanting it done", but "wanting what done", and why?
(I wôuld return it all, and get some cogent plan established based upon goals.)

Or since that gear is good, just put it in.
(Then if you don't like it, just pull it out, sell it, and do an upgrade.)
Do I at least get credit for knowing I'm impulsive and ignorant? Thanks for the straight talk. I'm gonna dump the rear speakers and go with the G60s components in the front. Just bought a miniDSP. All that's left to consider is a subwoofer.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 nstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enoughnstaln will become famous soon enough

If I'm reading this correctly...you have a set for 6.5 separates and a set of 6.5 woofers? Not coax's? I'm not sure what you would accomplish by running mid-woofers alone in the rear...running full range i'm sure they'll roll-off long before you get any usable vocals from them and adding midbass behind you without the benefit of TA may color the sound a bit as well as pull your soundstage back.

I would advise return the G60 mids and put that $$ towards a subwoofer...then run the whole thing ative off the PDX-V9...the nice thing about the V9 is if you don't have a dsp it is capable of running 3-way active on it's own...as well as a variable subsonic filter if you decide to go with a ported enclosure.

Factory HU - Alpine PXA-H800/RUX - 2 x JL Audio HD900/5's - Audiofrog GB10's - Audiofrog GB25's - Audiofrog GS 690's - Audiofrog GB2510 Crossovers - 2 x Audiomobile MASS 2012's
nstaln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to nstaln For This Useful Post:
wilsonx (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaln View Post
If I'm reading this correctly...you have a set for 6.5 separates and a set of 6.5 woofers? Not coax's? I'm not sure what you would accomplish by running mid-woofers alone in the rear...running full range i'm sure they'll roll-off long before you get any usable vocals from them and adding midbass behind you without the benefit of TA may color the sound a bit as well as pull your soundstage back.

I would advise return the G60 mids and put that $$ towards a subwoofer...then run the whole thing ative off the PDX-V9...the nice thing about the V9 is if you don't have a dsp it is capable of running 3-way active on it's own...as well as a variable subsonic filter if you decide to go with a ported enclosure.
Yes you're reading that correctly; I'll get rid of the mids. I just picked up a miniDSP 6x8, so now last thing is a subwoofer.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 55 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Do I at least get credit for knowing I'm impulsive and ignorant? Thanks for the straight talk. I'm gonna dump the rear speakers and go with the G60s components in the front. Just bought a miniDSP. All that's left to consider is a subwoofer.
You whole opening post struck me as you being a person that generally acts rationally. (And it seemed noteworthy)

Almost everyone throws a lot of that out window (defenestration) when it comes to any stereo dealings... myself included.

The fact that you were questioning it, was also "a tell" that you might be more rational than average. (Knowing that we are generally inclined towards emotion is a great start. But we still often make an emotional descision and then try to justify rationally)

AF seems like a good choice.
(At least we can point to the specs and justify their cost as we would be getting speakers with goods specs.)

I can make a cogent argument that the AF coaxials running passive are a great choice.
First, all the speakers are time-aligned to each other.
Second, the cross over is taken care of.
The main reason to avoid them would be is one wanted a super high sound pressure level (SPL) or loudness. (But that level is in the OHSA level to avoid,)

The coaxials, with a sub, should be pretty good.
(But if the goal is "super loud", then they are not the best starting point.)
If there is a spot where ^they^ fit, then that makes them more attractive.
wilsonx (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Quote:
You whole opening post struck me as you being a person that generally acts rationally. (And it seemed noteworthy)

Almost everyone throws a lot of that out window (defenestration) when it comes to any stereo dealings... myself included.

The fact that you were questioning it, was also "a tell" that you might be more rational than average. (Knowing that we are generally inclined towards emotion is a great start. But we still often make an emotional descision and then try to justify rationally)

(At least we can point to the specs and justify their cost as we would be getting speakers with goods specs.)

I can make a cogent argument that the AF coaxials running passive are a great choice.
First, all the speakers are time-aligned to each other.
Second, the cross over is taken care of.
The main reason to avoid them would be is one wanted a super high sound pressure level (SPL) or loudness. (But that level is in the OHSA level to avoid,)

The coaxials, with a sub, should be pretty good.
(But if the goal is "super loud", then they are not the best starting point.)
If there is a spot where ^they^ fit, then that makes them more attractive.
The G60s aren't coaxials, but the crossover is taken care of with the passive crossovers included. I think that's what I'll do. Super loud isn't my goal at all--my current speakers are very muddy at any volume. I'm looking for clarity / imaging. But I'm a novice so the easier the better. Is there a sub you'd recommend?
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Is there a sub you'd recommend?

Quote:
I have no experience with ^them^, but the specs look good...
wilsonx (2 Days Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Rep Power: 79 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

If you’re going to run an active two way than you really need a good tweeter that can cross as low as possible without audible distortion and I don’t think the GS10 is it. An active two way with subwoofer and no rear speakers can sound awesome if the tuning and installation is done correctly and that is key.

Disclaimer: I have not actually heard or used the AF GS series speakers.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to JCsAudio For This Useful Post:
wilsonx (2 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #11

Rep Power: 5 mpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
If you’re going to run an active two way than you really need a good tweeter that can cross as low as possible without audible distortion and I don’t think the GS10 is it. An active two way with subwoofer and no rear speakers can sound awesome if the tuning and installation is done correctly and that is key.
Yep. I have the Tang Band 25-2176S. Crossed at 2500Hz and with a steep slope it does a good job for my needs. Unfortunately it is no longer for sale at Parts Express.
mpm17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement