10" sub choices - ID10 D2 vs D4, or other? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Days Ago   #1

Rep Power: 12 flgfish will become famous soon enoughflgfish will become famous soon enoughflgfish will become famous soon enoughflgfish will become famous soon enoughflgfish will become famous soon enoughflgfish will become famous soon enough

Default 10" sub choices - ID10 D2 vs D4, or other?

Howdy! Looking for a little feedback.
I have a Helix D One monoblock sub amp, and a box that's 0.75 cuft.
The D One will push:
- @ 4 Ohms 1 x 200 / 400 Watts
- @ 2 Ohms 1 x 340 / 680 Watts
- @ 1 Ohm 1 x 530 / 1,060 Watt

I'm looking at the Image Dynamics ID10 range of subs - the D2 and the D4. I think, with this amp, I want to go with the D4 and run the voice coils in parallel for 2 Ohms. The D4 is a little more efficient than the D2, and I don't see any reason to do the 2 ohm parallel, 1 ohm load thing with this amp.

Any opinions?

I'm also not really budget constrained, but these seem to be good options for my application. I'd be open to other sub options. Has to be a 10" (biggest that will fit in the box in that corner) and has to have a mounting depth of 6.5" or less. The box is a flush-mount fiberglass box in the back corner of a BMW E91 touring wagon.

Thanks!
flgfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 192 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: 10" sub choices - ID10 D2 vs D4, or other?

i think you are on the right path with the ID D4. You will probably get suggestions for the Dayton HO too. Don't over think it...the ID10 sounds great.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 GB10d4x2 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to miniSQ For This Useful Post:
flgfish (3 Days Ago)
Old 3 Days Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 305 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see anything wrong with the ID10d4. They're fine subs and pretty efficient too.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
flgfish (3 Days Ago)

Old 3 Days Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 192 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

There is also a Hybrid audio Clarus D4 selling here on the classifieds that is a really nice sub. Not sure how you feel about buying used. The seller is very reputable here and i have owned both. The ID is a little dryer, and the Clarus is a little warmer sounding. Both are great subs.

2018 Crosstrek
Old 3 Days Ago   #5

Rep Power: 12 flgfish will become famous soon enoughflgfish will become famous soon enoughflgfish will become famous soon enoughflgfish will become famous soon enoughflgfish will become famous soon enoughflgfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
There is also a Hybrid audio Clarus D4 selling here on the classifieds that is a really nice sub. Not sure how you feel about buying used. The seller is very reputable here and i have owned both. The ID is a little dryer, and the Clarus is a little warmer sounding. Both are great subs.
I don't mind buying used. Looking at just the specs, I'm not sure what the Clarus does that the ID wouldn't do... but I haven't modeled anything in WinISD either. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around "warm" and "dry"... The ID10 looks to have a little more Xmax. My Windows VM is giving me hell since the last MS update... need to futz with it I guess.
Old 3 Days Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgfish View Post
I don't mind buying used. Looking at just the specs, I'm not sure what the Clarus does that the ID wouldn't do... but I haven't modeled anything in WinISD either. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around "warm" and "dry"... The ID10 looks to have a little more Xmax. My Windows VM is giving me hell since the last MS update... need to futz with it I guess.
i can't speak in terms of WinISD...but warm vs dry makes total sense to me.

Let me try again, the Clarus will sound like its digging deeper ( playing lower bass notes). But the ID10 will sound tighter and snappier.

2018 Crosstrek
The Following User Says Thank You to miniSQ For This Useful Post:
flgfish (3 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #7

Thanks for the input, y'all. I went ahead & ordered the Image Dynamics ID10d4. I had some Amazon gift cards, and can't really go wrong with a $130 experiment... we'll see how it goes!
Old 2 Days Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 305 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll like the ID.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
flgfish (2 Days Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement