Seas ER18RNX installed - VERY DISSAPOINTED - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 katodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enough

Default Seas ER18RNX installed - VERY DISSAPOINTED

I just finished installing the Seas ER18RNX's, replacing the Polyglasses in my doors.

I am extremely dissapointed. There is NO midbass output at all compared to the Polyglasses, even in a simple A/B comparison. Do these things need to break in? Is my door simply too much volume for the loose suspension of the Seas?

I have them installed in a FULLY deadened coupe door (bit bigger than sedan door). The only method air can escape is through the window crack. The speakers are mounted to 3 x 1/4th inches of MDF rings, with ensolite sandwiched between each layer. I am pushing ~ 150 watts @ 4 ohms to the Polyglasses, and ~ 75 watts @ 8 ohms to the Seas. I understand that the Seas need more power, but I am running into this even at comprable medium listening levels.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am very dissapointed right now.
katodevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 180 HIS4 will become famous soon enoughHIS4 will become famous soon enoughHIS4 will become famous soon enoughHIS4 will become famous soon enoughHIS4 will become famous soon enoughHIS4 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Seas ER18RNX installed - VERY DISSAPOINTED

I'd say give it some break in time. The suspension should loosen up after a few hours of use.

2016 Porsche Cayman GTS - OEM HU / The rest is a work in progress...
HIS4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 katodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enoughkatodevin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
I'd say give it some break in time. The suspension should loosen up after a few hours of use.
The suspension is already much looser than the polyglasses. I'm wondering if the cone is just not being controled by the suspension at all since they weren't designed to be put into a car door.

Also, seem to be getting to tinsel slap? How do you go about fixing that?

Old 05-18-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Thor Industries
Position:
Lightning bolt delivery

Rep Power: 190 mvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mvw2 Send a message via MSN to mvw2

You'll want more then 75w rms. Yes, you'll need some break in time. Yes, the bass output will probably be less then the Polyglass. Frequency response rolls off earlier and the woofer uses a high loss surround that trades control for low frequency looseness. Basically expect to EQ the woofer. There's a lot of capability there, but you'll need to have a little EQ to get it...and more power.

No lawn darts in the fairway! This is a golf course damn it!
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvw2 View Post
You'll want more then 75w rms. Yes, you'll need some break in time. Yes, the bass output will probably be less then the Polyglass. Frequency response rolls off earlier and the woofer uses a high loss surround that trades control for low frequency looseness. Basically expect to EQ the woofer. There's a lot of capability there, but you'll need to have a little EQ to get it...and more power.
Thanks for the input. I'll try 180 watts and see what happens. Any advice on the slapping at high volumes?
Old 05-18-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 282 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

put a small piece of foam on the back of the cone
Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Thor Industries
Position:
Lightning bolt delivery

Rep Power: 190 mvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mvw2 Send a message via MSN to mvw2

Not sure what the slapping is. It might just be the low power and simply not moving right. Put more power to it and see if it cleans up. I don't really know what the slapping would be otherwise. I don't recall if the leads are woven in or not or if they are just designed to simply not be able to hit. It has a ton of throw and with the high loss surround, they should get rather significantly loud before running out of excursion and even that requires a good EQ bump on the bottom end to make it move enough. I've used the W18NX, and it should be very similar to the ER18RNX.

No lawn darts in the fairway! This is a golf course damn it!
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Not sure what the slapping is. It might just be the low power and simply not moving right. Put more power to it and see if it cleans up. I don't really know what the slapping would be otherwise. I don't recall if the leads are woven in or not or if they are just designed to simply not be able to hit. It has a ton of throw and with the high loss surround, they should get rather significantly loud before running out of excursion and even that requires a good EQ bump on the bottom end to make it move enough. I've used the W18NX, and it should be very similar to the ER18RNX.
You might be right. The leads aren't woven in, but they seem like they is no way for them to be able to hit the cone. I'll try it free air and see if I hear any of the weird noises.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it, and will try:
1 - More Power
2 - EQing
Old 05-18-2009   #9
lsm
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 lsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enough

Give them at least 24 hours of break in time before giving up on them.
lsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 833 GLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond repute

Also make sure the polarity is correct.
GLN305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009   #11
lsm
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 lsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enoughlsm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLN305 View Post
Also make sure the polarity is correct.
Good Point!! Try popping them with a battery to make sure they weren't labeled wrong. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that...
lsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
It has a ton of throw and with the high loss surround, they should get rather significantly loud before running out of excursion and even that requires a good EQ bump on the bottom end to make it move enough.
Forgive my ignorance, but could you please explain what is considered a "high loss surround"? Is that refering to drivers with more loose suspensions? What are the advantages/disadvantages of drivers with "high loss surrounds"?
Old 05-18-2009   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 210 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

first of call, breaking in a speaker does not make something that hs no midbass all of a sudden produce a ton of midbass, it may change the sonic charcteristics of a speaker but you aint gonna break it in and all of a sudden, there is the midbass.

curious, why did you go wtih this driver change? i cant imagine wanting more midbass is the reason? if so, halving your power isnt the way to do it, not to mention, as far as i know, this driver isnt a midbass monster? it shouldnt be nearly as bad as you describe, but i would imagine midrange perhaps would have more to do with your change?

easiest option, swtich your wiring at the amp and make it bridged going to it, see if it makes a difference?

b

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
first of call, breaking in a speaker does not make something that hs no midbass all of a sudden produce a ton of midbass, it may change the sonic charcteristics of a speaker but you aint gonna break it in and all of a sudden, there is the midbass.
I totally agree, I do not think that breaking in the speaker is going to solve my problems. I recall reading an article trying to dispel the myths of breaking in drivers, saying that simply after a few seconds of playing, a driver is broken in.

Quote:
curious, why did you go wtih this driver change? i cant imagine wanting more midbass is the reason? if so, halving your power isnt the way to do it, not to mention, as far as i know, this driver isnt a midbass monster? it shouldnt be nearly as bad as you describe, but i would imagine midrange perhaps would have more to do with your change?
The driver change was mainly chosen because I was getting annoyed with the poor extension of my Focal's at the high/mid frequencies. I had them crossed over at 2k, @ 12db, and would get harsh ringing with higher vocals and guitars. However, their midbass performance was very acceptable to me. If I had to guess, I don't think that I ever pushed them with the full 150 RMs watts available to me. That's what lead me to believe that I had enough headroom for the Seas.

I read from a many users here that the Seas drivers performed very well, and had very good midbass. Was I mistaken? I do notice the reduced but flat response ~ 800hz, but was hoping to EQ that to compensate. The loose surround frightens me though, as I've always leaned towards more impact in my midbass. I'm not sure if the two are correlated, but have noticed that the VAS of car drivers is much lower than the DIY drivers that I've researched. Should I be sticking with car drivers?

Another reason I was looking to change was simply because I was a bit inspired by the DIY spirit here, and agree that spending money for name brand marketing won't necessarily always get you the best quality stuff.
Old 05-19-2009   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 210 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

well, i would never say "i dot think i everused that 150 watts" just beucase 99 percent of the time, the driver isnt needing it. its the split seconds where hte music demands the extra power, that makes having a bigger amp on a speaker more meaningful.

in general, seas drivers have excellent midbass, though my experinece is limited to the excel and of course Lotus drivers. i cant say for certain about that driver, however, if its anyhting remotely like the other seas drivers i have used, it would definetly want a bunch more power than 75 watts rms.

also, tuning may change a bit, are you running active? i would assume so since you switched just hte midbass, running the 8ohm seas driver off the old focal passive is obviously not hte way to go.

if you are running active, do you have any form of eqing?

if you are local to me, you are more than welcome to come by during the day, let me check it out, and you can take a listen to the seas in my car there is definetly no lack of midbass there

also remember mounting locationand tuning plays a huge part as far as how a speaker sounds. but yeah, basically taking peoples advice and getting a gear can sometimes result in these unpleasant surprises one person's "badass" can sometimes be another persons "undesirable"

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 05-19-2009   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
also, tuning may change a bit, are you running active? i would assume so since you switched just hte midbass, running the 8ohm seas driver off the old focal passive is obviously not hte way to go.

if you are running active, do you have any form of eqing?

if you are local to me, you are more than welcome to come by during the day, let me check it out, and you can take a listen to the seas in my car there is definetly no lack of midbass there
Yup, running active with an 880prs. Switching impediance with a passive crossover is not a smart thing. Gonna try and tweak the EQ a bit tomorrow, as well as try using another amp for ~ 150 watts RMS @ 8ohms.

I'd love to stop by sometime. I'm in San Jose also. I'm a bit embarassed of my install skills compared to yours, but if you promise not to laugh (too much), it'd be awesome to get your input. I'll shoot you a PM Thank you for the offer.
Old 05-19-2009   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

i never laugh at anyone, and never look down at anyone serious, ask anyone who has met me.

from reading your post, technical knowledge you may even have more than me, as i mostly just base my opinoins on experience...

but i am intrigued as well as to just how bad the midbass is wit hthis set...

the only othe rthing i can think of, other htan lack of power, is maybe with the old set, you got midbass reosnance that you killed the 200hz range on the 880, and this speaker for some reason, didnt excite that freq that much and as a result, it just took all your midbass away.

other than that, i dont htink eqing of any other freq can make it appear to have really low midbass

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 05-19-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 hc_TK is on a distinguished roadhc_TK is on a distinguished roadhc_TK is on a distinguished roadhc_TK is on a distinguished roadhc_TK is on a distinguished road

the seas drivers arent ment for car use, so dont expect more midbass from these vs the focals. These er ment for much smaller closed box or a vented box. So the tuning is way much lower than the focals. That causes more excursion and less punch..

/////Alpine, Stinger, Peerless, Seas, Focal, Supra Cables
Project SQ Audi A3: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=4934
hc_TK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 181 matdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enoughmatdotcom2000 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to matdotcom2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc_TK View Post
the seas drivers arent ment for car use, so dont expect more midbass from these vs the focals. These er ment for much smaller closed box or a vented box. So the tuning is way much lower than the focals. That causes more excursion and less punch..
That could explain your problem there. Home drivers need a CAN require certain enclosure size and depending on your door size Vs. other peoples door size who have installed these speakers results will vary. Been through these types of problems not going back. One thing that I used to do is look at the Qts the higher the better for IB installs (I think dont quite remember but it was something like that)

matdotcom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

I made some bumps on the EQ towards the bottom end, and I'm getting a bit of the midbass back. I originally set my gains using test tones with my 880 @ volume 40. I usually do my listening at ~25-30. I cranked the volume up to ~ 35 and the speakers are coming more alive. Midrange is very good, much clearer and smoother than my polyglasses. I need to take the time and reset the gains @ my amp. I will continue tweaking and updating this thread.
Old 05-19-2009   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 187 dual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to dual700

Quote:
i never laugh at anyone, and never look down at anyone serious, ask anyone who has met me.
RRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHTTTTTTT

Anyhow....
The ER18RNX has 88.5 db sensitivity while the Polyglass, depending on which type has 93 or 94.5 db. Impedance plays a lil bit of factor too.
So yes, you will get much weaker output outta the box.
But not piss poor midbass response, regardless on your enclosure/IB and what not.

Like someone already mentioned, check polarity of both speaker first....

PS: Be careful with Bing...

Npdang is a sexy mofo
dual700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 187 dual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to dual700

By the way, to fix tinsel slap on subwoofer, you can get away with taping small foam behind the cone. As far as midrange tinsel slap, i won't recommend that. Pinch the tinsel. Solder it, cut the excess, give it enough play to move up and down.

Npdang is a sexy mofo
dual700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 183 kevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodevin View Post
I made some bumps on the EQ towards the bottom end, and I'm getting a bit of the midbass back. I originally set my gains using test tones with my 880 @ volume 40. I usually do my listening at ~25-30. I cranked the volume up to ~ 35 and the speakers are coming more alive. Midrange is very good, much clearer and smoother than my polyglasses. I need to take the time and reset the gains @ my amp. I will continue tweaking and updating this thread.
Haven't seen it mentioned, but what frequency range and x-over slopes are you using?

"Drugs won't change you. Religion won't change you. What's the matter with you?"
kevin k. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin k. View Post
Haven't seen it mentioned, but what frequency range and x-over slopes are you using?
80hz @ 18db and 2000hz @ 12db
Old 05-19-2009   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

okay, i lied, i look down upon eng and make fun of him...but hes just a senile old man and as long as i keep him fed with tutti frutti, hes good to tune

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement