Small car, too little space. Need good speakers. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Mini_Fanatic will become famous soon enoughMini_Fanatic will become famous soon enoughMini_Fanatic will become famous soon enoughMini_Fanatic will become famous soon enoughMini_Fanatic will become famous soon enoughMini_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Default Small car, too little space. Need good speakers.

Hey. I'm trying to fit a basic stereo system in my small car. I'm not looking for anything crazy, but I am obsessed with reference audio. I can fit a maximum (in size) of 6 1/2" speakers in the back on the parcel shelf and a maximum of 1 3/4" speakers in the front.

I know this makes my choices very limited, and I'll most likely have to scratch any thoughts of having front speakers.

I've been looking at the Alpine SPX-17PROs as a possibility, but I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks
Mini_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Mini_Fanatic will become famous soon enoughMini_Fanatic will become famous soon enoughMini_Fanatic will become famous soon enoughMini_Fanatic will become famous soon enoughMini_Fanatic will become famous soon enoughMini_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Bump.
Old 02-26-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 284 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Small car, too little space. Need good speakers.

So you want to put the mids in the back of the car and the tweets in the front?
Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Well, I was wondering if that'd be possible at all. Or if tweeters can even have a wide enough range to move the sound field a little further towards the front.

I know the Alpine SPX tweeters are supposed to be amazing for the price, so that's why I've been looking at them. The interior of my car is so small, boxy and open that most frequencies below 5,000 hertz just seem to hang in the space as if there's an omni-directional speaker in the car.

So, I was wondering if it would really be so wrong to separate the tweeters from the mids?

Or should I scratch that idea altogether and just get some great mids with tweeters built in. And leave it at that?
Old 02-26-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 362 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

what car has a layout like that?
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

A 1971 Mini Cooper.

That, more specifically, I'm trying to keep looking as stock as possible. With doors and panels that are less than an inch and a half thick and a firewall that's only 2 1/2" from the face of the dashboard... Keeping it looking stock is hard while installing a sound system.

But there are two 1 1/2" round air vents up front that can be converted for tweeters.
Old 02-26-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 176 nineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the rough

got room for kick panel pods for the mids?

i agree with you on the spx tweets being nice but i have always found the mids to be lacking in output. currently running the spx-177r tweets with dynaudio mw160 and i love the combination.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to offend people. - Brad Thor
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Technically, yes. But I'm a big guy, and I would impede immensely on my legroom. Plus, I'm trying to keep it looking as original/stock as possible.
Old 02-27-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Mini_Fanatic;1241496]Hey. I'm trying to fit a basic stereo system in my small car. I'm not looking for anything crazy, but I am obsessed with reference audio. I can fit a maximum (in size) of 6 1/2" speakers in the back on the parcel shelf and a maximum of 1 3/4" speakers in the front.

I know this makes my choices very limited, and I'll most likely have to scratch any thoughts of having front speakers.

I've been looking at the Alpine SPX-17PROs as a possibility, but I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks[/QUOT

Looks like the wrong car for your audio obsession...LOL
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 voltij will become famous soon enoughvoltij will become famous soon enoughvoltij will become famous soon enoughvoltij will become famous soon enoughvoltij will become famous soon enoughvoltij will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini_Fanatic View Post
Hey. I'm trying to fit a basic stereo system in my small car. I'm not looking for anything crazy, but I am obsessed with reference audio. I can fit a maximum (in size) of 6 1/2" speakers in the back on the parcel shelf and a maximum of 1 3/4" speakers in the front.

Thanks
Just curious, what kind of car is that? lol
voltij is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

A 1971 Mini Cooper. Which incidentally feels extremely roomy until you start adding things like door cards and door pockets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement