Received all my products: mid range & bass are same... fix? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Lf1047 will become famous soon enoughLf1047 will become famous soon enoughLf1047 will become famous soon enoughLf1047 will become famous soon enoughLf1047 will become famous soon enoughLf1047 will become famous soon enough

Default Received all my products: mid range & bass are same... fix?

I selected the Diamond Audio HEX 6" 2 way comp set, with the 6" midwoofer add on. It all shows up and I notice the "midrange" and the "midwoofer" appear to be identical, other than the corssovers are most likley set at diff points (and appear to contain diff internalcomponents upon visual inspection).

Should I keep them and go with it, or drop the 6" midbass add on and use an 8" IB woofer in the door factory hole and tune it to the frequency that will fill the gap between the midrange and the 10" subwoofer? Im using a Diamond Audio 600.4 amp which will only have ch 1 & 2 doing the L & R components, and I have ch 3 & 4 available for the midbass woofers.

Last edited by Lf1047; 04-09-2011 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: spelling, and minor notations
Lf1047 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
JTech Consulting
Position:
Principal

Rep Power: 112 superjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Received all my products: mid range & bass are same... fix?

although they may LOOK the same, they are quite different. the coils are different, the top plates are different, and spiders are different and the surround compliance is different. They are designed to look the same because they are in the same "family", but the performance is going to be quite different
superjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
No Longer
Position:
No longer

Rep Power: 117 Howell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
although they may LOOK the same, they are quite different. the coils are different, the top plates are different, and spiders are different and the surround compliance is different. They are designed to look the same because they are in the same "family", but the performance is going to be quite different
I hate to bring a thread back from the dead, but the above statement is completely false. The midranges used in the S600 component kits are the EXACT SAME midbass drivers found in the 3-way "midbass add-on" kit. The S6.0m is one of the few speakers I've known of that work perfectly well as midranges OR for midbass. I have a set in the doors of my Eclipse, mounted in the OEM enclosures that I adapted to aperiodic enclosures by way of home carpet samples and butyl rubber...and I use a HPF at [email protected]/octave (from the HU: Eclipse CD7100). This is at 150Wrms from a Zapco Reference 1000.4. 50Hz. I was pretty damn surprised...and pleased. This was after a couple years of trying to get 8s to sound decent in the same location.

The other 2 channels of that 1000.4 go to another set of S6.0m_s that I use as midranges, and they're mounted in Q-forms kicks. They sound awesome, accurate, and clear. <---After a bit of sound deadening applied to the thin plastic of those darn Q-forms. Of course THIS pair doesn't play as low, due to the "enclosure", but I'm more than happy with the midbass from the set in the doors.
Howell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
JTech Consulting
Position:
Principal

Rep Power: 112 superjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura aboutsuperjay has a spectacular aura about

This is not what I was told in the Diamond booth at CES this year...by Diamond employees...people with first hand knowledge of the product....first hand as in designing it, not just looking at it and pretending they are still in the industry
Old 06-24-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
No Longer
Position:
No longer

Rep Power: 117 Howell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura aboutHowell has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
This is not what I was told in the Diamond booth at CES this year...by Diamond employees...people with first hand knowledge of the product....first hand as in designing it, not just looking at it and pretending they are still in the industry
Wow, you must be awesome to deal with in person. Anyhow, I am not pretending anything. The Hex series has been by-and-large, the same for at least the past decade. The only thing that has changed is by whom/where they are manufactured. If they have something new they're coming out with...neat. I will, however, reiterate that the 3-way add-on kit has used the SAME 6.5" drivers as the S600 component kit...and that has been the case for a looooonnnng time. I was the Sales Manager for an authorized Diamond distributor, and I lived and breathed these things for years, spending tons of time on the phone with the people at Diamond, as well as picking the brains of their Sales reps over lunches as well as meetings at the shop. I actually own the damn things as well, for cryin' out loud, and use one set as midbass and another as midrange (i.e. have personal experience w/ them, aside from the ones I've worked with in customer's cars)...so don't sit there like an e-thug, spread misinformation, and talk smack because you talked to someone at a CES booth for a few minutes.

The S6.0m is awesome at providing midbass...there really IS no need for them to replace it...just for an add-on midbass kit that almost no one buys. In the early days they DID have an S8.0m, but that was an 8-ohm 8" driver that never really got released and was scrapped. If you look in the Hex manual, there is a page that was "intentionally left blank", well...that WAS the page that was supposed to host the dimensional specs of the S8.0m. It's too bad they didn't release it as it had some interesting specs. The D9 kits had some revamped 7" driver...but was never offered as an add-on 3-way midbass kit. BOTH the S600a/s component manual AND the S6.0mX3 manual state that the drivers are...WHAT?!...S6.0m.

Do your homework before you call people out like an @$$hole. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
JTech Consulting
Position:
Principal

phone time...yeah, you must know more than the engineers there.
Old 06-24-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
JTech Consulting
Position:
Principal

for the record, it takes a special kind of person to put up with me
Old 06-24-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
No Longer
Position:
No longer

Quote:
phone time...yeah, you must know more than the engineers there.
Lots of phone time, as well as face-to-face time. And I didn't say I knew more than the engineers...I'm simply quoting facts and spelling them out in plain English. I'm stacking your 5 minutes at one booth out of hundreds or thousands of others over the course of a weekend over my:

#1: Accumulated hours of brain picking sales reps as well as tech support via phone and in person.

#2: Accumulated hours of pouring over spec sheets, manuals, sales literature, and price lists with detailed per-item breakdown for individual parts, i.e. crossovers, raw drivers, amps, accessories...as well as training via factory Reps.

#3: The hundreds of systems that I've either had a hand in building, or sold and had a hand in tuning.

#4: Having owned, installed, auditioned and heavily toying with the aforementioned equipment.

#5: Having gone back through the available info to verify any technical claims I've made.

So there it is. An S6.0m is an S6.0m is an S6.0m...if there were two distinct versions, Diamond would have created a different model number for the "special midbass driver". The only difference between the midrange and midbass application, as the OP guessed-at, is the crossovers with which they are shipped. Plain and simple. There is no S6.0m that's specially engineered/produced to deliver midbass. Just like there is no difference between M5 Component Tweeters and Hex Al Tweeters...they're the same part number. Part numbers exist for a reason bro.

Last edited by Howell; 06-24-2011 at 04:01 PM..
Old 06-24-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
No Longer
Position:
No longer

Quote:
for the record, it takes a special kind of person to put up with me
I'm sure we'd get along famously in person...but the internet lacks the expression of certain nuances. And I'm sure at this point I could easily insert some crack that plays off of what I quoted, but the point here was to clear-up misinformation; not to get in a pissing match or whip-out the ruler/yardstick/whatever. I've more than made my point...and it's completely supported by fact, not CES hearsay.
Old 06-24-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 ou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud of

To all those involved!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put your Johnson's back in your pants and put away the tape measure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ou812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
No Longer
Position:
No longer

Yeah, I kinda covered that already. haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement