Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117? - Page 104 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014   #2576
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 151 CrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

I don't think it's possible to have a meaningful discussion with you, as you believe your opinion is an absolute. IMO, objective data (measurements), are pretty much for folks with Tin ears. I did not get dozens of folks praising my installs, an winning SQ awards, because I can't hear. But call it as you will, I guess I'm a BS Audiophile in your eyes, and I'm fine with that. All I can say to you is, Ignorance is bliss.

PRS 80 HU, Morel Elate 6 mids, Morel MT-23 tweets, Sundown SD3 10 sealed. Mosconi Zero 4 & Audio Control Epicenter 1200.
CrossFired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014   #2577
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 FUTURISTiC will become famous soon enoughFUTURISTiC will become famous soon enoughFUTURISTiC will become famous soon enoughFUTURISTiC will become famous soon enoughFUTURISTiC will become famous soon enoughFUTURISTiC will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
If you email abt.com for their best price, I checked last week and it was $259 with Free Shipping & No Tax in most states. It's a no-brainer at that price.
Just did this today. Tried to find the original post that I learned of this on to give thanks, but no luck so far, I'll keep searching. It was a short thread though.
FUTURISTiC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014   #2578

Rep Power: 78 lurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewV View Post
I have a question (haven't run across it in this thread). When I hit the magnifying glass (search) button on the 80PRS, the folder list ALWAYS starts at the top, no matter which folder I'm currently in.

Shouldn't it start searching wherever the current track is already playing? I mean, why start at the top every time? Most other head units just start in the current folder. I hate having to scroll through the entire list every time I want to search for a track.

Or am I doing something wrong?
this question has come up three times on
this thread and never been answered.
answer :
in the main menu, this is the menu that
comes up when key is on and deck is off,
press and hold control knob, main setup
menu appears.
in here is : MUSIC BROWSE.
select which input you want
EG: usb 1 , usb 2 , etc.
now when browsing you have the choice
of finding your tunes by artist, gener, title
etc....

hope this helps.
it IS in the manual, but not well outlined.

Last edited by lurch; 05-07-2014 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: needed to add a few words as to be clear
lurch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014   #2579

Rep Power: 73 hykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enough

I bought a SanDisk 64Gb usb flash memory stick, and I formatted it to Fat 32, I keep getting error 23 on the pioneer 80prs

how can I solve that

Also if I have flac files, what shall I convert them to preserves audio quality without any loss of quality

is there a free program to convert flac files
hykhleif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014   #2580

Rep Power: 91 Jepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossFired View Post
I don't think it's possible to have a meaningful discussion with you, as you believe your opinion is an absolute. IMO, objective data (measurements), are pretty much for folks with Tin ears. I did not get dozens of folks praising my installs, an winning SQ awards, because I can't hear. But call it as you will, I guess I'm a BS Audiophile in your eyes, and I'm fine with that. All I can say to you is, Ignorance is bliss.
Would you mind taking your personal flame war to private messaging. I for one am trying to read through this thread to learn about the DEH-80PRS before I pull the trigger on one and it is amazing how much off-topic chaff there is in here.

Jepalan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014   #2581
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 93 spyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
I bought a SanDisk 64Gb usb flash memory stick, and I formatted it to Fat 32, I keep getting error 23 on the pioneer 80prs

how can I solve that

Also if I have flac files, what shall I convert them to preserves audio quality without any loss of quality

The 80 will only read up to 32gb sd cards and thumb drives. Also covering to WAV will preserve audio quality.

Swyped while Swerving

au·dio·phile: Audiophiles’ became one of the most bizarre cults of the previous century. Claiming to be gifted with golden ears, audiophiles can hear electrons traveling in wires, and have the ability to channel thought into crystals to ward off evil harmonics, and cloaking themselves in mystical terms unrelated to music and physics.NEW: Check out my Build Log!
spyders03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014   #2582

Rep Power: 78 WinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enough

Quote:

how can I solve that

Foobar is a great opensource program with easy conversion to just about any format.
WinWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014   #2583

Rep Power: 73 hykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyders03 View Post
The 80 will only read up to 32gb sd cards and thumb drives. Also covering to WAV will preserve audio quality.

Swyped while Swerving
I solved the flash memory thing by using an HP format tool, and it reads my 64GB flash memory without a problem now.

I will use wav then to maintain audio quality of my flac files
hykhleif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014   #2584
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 fahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I solved the flash memory thing by using an HP format tool, and it reads my 64GB flash memory without a problem now.

I will use wav then to maintain audio quality of my flac files
Link to the HP tool?

2013 MECA Street World Champion
2013 IASCA Rookie Runner-Up
Link to my 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDi build log
fahrfrompuken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014   #2585
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 151 CrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enoughCrossFired will become famous soon enough

I'll make it easy for you. For the few issues the 80 has, there's nothing better for the money! I've managed to tame the hard midrange by turning off the Auto EQ, and crossing my mids at 2k with a 1st order. Tweeters are 4k with a 2nd order.

I get a very flat response using a AC RTA. And better yet, It sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepalan View Post
Would you mind taking your personal flame war to private messaging. I for one am trying to read through this thread to learn about the DEH-80PRS before I pull the trigger on one and it is amazing how much off-topic chaff there is in here.

PRS 80 HU, Morel Elate 6 mids, Morel MT-23 tweets, Sundown SD3 10 sealed. Mosconi Zero 4 & Audio Control Epicenter 1200.
Old 05-08-2014   #2586
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 184 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I get a very flat response using a AC RTA. And better yet, It sounds good.
An Rta flat response normally does not sound good.

[Rant] I've been running the p80 for the last ten days since my bit10 finally bit the dust. Of course, there is a big difference between the p80 and a full blown processor. A much wider span of control at much finer resolution per driver on the processor vs a limited span at a much coarser resolution per side.

I've been trying to get some what close to the sound I had with the bit10. I'm ok with the xovers and slopes but what really irks me is the eq. To start with 16 bands of geq per side are not enough 31 per side like on the p99 are a min. However the cherry on the icing is the fact that resolution on the eq is in +/- 2db steps. While that may be passable at the lower end say 20-80hz, trying to dial in the midrange from 300-2khz at +/- 2db steps is a b****. Net result, the frickin thing never sounds right. You're either almost there or you're overcooked. It's never close enough to just right Frustrating as hell!!

[/Rant]

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
sqnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014   #2587
DIYMA 500 Club

I like the flat sound, as everything sounds good, but nothing sounds bad.

I talking about different types of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqnut View Post
An Rta flat response normally does not sound good.

[Rant] I've been running the p80 for the last ten days since my bit10 finally bit the dust. Of course, there is a big difference between the p80 and a full blown processor. A much wider span of control at much finer resolution per driver on the processor vs a limited span at a much coarser resolution per side.

I've been trying to get some what close to the sound I had with the bit10. I'm ok with the xovers and slopes but what really irks me is the eq. To start with 16 bands of geq per side are not enough 31 per side like on the p99 are a min. However the cherry on the icing is the fact that resolution on the eq is in +/- 2db steps. While that may be passable at the lower end say 20-80hz, trying to dial in the midrange from 300-2khz at +/- 2db steps is a b****. Net result, the frickin thing never sounds right. You're either almost there or you're overcooked. It's never close enough to just right Frustrating as hell!!

[/Rant]

Old 05-08-2014   #2588
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

DEH-80PRS is still limited to 16 bands L/R EQ, but is adjustable in 1 dB increments. You can also adjust driver levels independently in 1 dB increments.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014   #2589
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If flat sounds good to you, then flat sounds good to you. I don't know very many people who tune to a board flat RTA response though. Well, unless they are competing in RTA Freq out. But that isn't about sound quality.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
Old 05-08-2014   #2590
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 327 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Tuning a system "RTA flat" using pink noise? That's a recipe for crap... it won't sound right in any car. Generally the response 20Hz-20kHz should be tilted 20dB or so.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014   #2591
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 184 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

The type of music you listen to makes no difference. In a car response is king. A flat response in a car will make all genres sound meh. The right response on the other hand will make all genres sound nice. When you think of a target curve for a car, think of a line sloping from 20-20k at about 2-3db/oct. In some parts of the spectrum the slope will be steeper and in others it may be shallower / flat. Part of your mid range 500-1khz typically needs a slight bump. 1.2-4khz is typically rolling off at about 5-6db/oct. Like Han mentioned a 20db drop from 20-20k is a good place to start.

Flat response in a car is as big a myth as SQ of amps.

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
Old 05-08-2014   #2592
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
DEH-80PRS is still limited to 16 bands L/R EQ, but is adjustable in 1 dB increments.
Then that is one difference between the older 880 and the newer DEH-80PRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
You can also adjust driver levels independently in 1 dB increments.
Yeah that's fine no issues there.

Old 05-13-2014   #2593
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
tpa
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 148 tnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished road

Barcus Berry Electronics. BBE

MY FARTS SOUND BETTER THAN YOUR SUB!
tnbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2014   #2594
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 106 xt577 is on a distinguished roadxt577 is on a distinguished roadxt577 is on a distinguished roadxt577 is on a distinguished roadxt577 is on a distinguished road

Default Digital Attenuator

Digital Attenuator - not sure what to set this on.

(pissed Pioneer didn't give the option to disable this feature altogether, I don't want my signal auto-attenuated)

Anyway, manual states "switch the digital att. to low to reduce distortion". Confusing wording I think. One would suspect the "high" setting would attenuate the most, right?
xt577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014   #2595
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 dan7u will become famous soon enoughdan7u will become famous soon enoughdan7u will become famous soon enoughdan7u will become famous soon enoughdan7u will become famous soon enoughdan7u will become famous soon enough

Anyone know of a comparable unit to this one? I've switched over to almost exclusively bluetooth streaming, but still want to run the iPod from time to time. CDs, I haven't used in years. HD Radio would be nice as well. Im running a basic 2 coaxial speakers (passive crossover) and a sub set up.
dan7u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014   #2596

Rep Power: 91 Jepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan7u View Post
Anyone know of a comparable unit to this one? I've switched over to almost exclusively bluetooth streaming, but still want to run the iPod from time to time. CDs, I haven't used in years. HD Radio would be nice as well. Im running a basic 2 coaxial speakers (passive crossover) and a sub set up.
I'm confused by your question. Comparable to the 80PRS in what ways? The features you listed are not why people generally buy the 80PRS. Typically they buy it because they are looking for the best SQ HU that can easily run active and has separate L/R EQs plus triple 24bit DACs.

What must-have 80PRS capabilities are you looking for in other HUs?
Jepalan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014   #2597
DIYMA 500 Club

If you listen to any AM radio, forget the 80, as it has the worse AM I've ever heard. The $100. Pioneers have the best AM and HD. So Pioneer decided you can have one or the other, but not both.

Quote:

Old 08-03-2014   #2598
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Dan7u, I agree with Jepalan. Based on what you say you're looking for, the DEH-80PRS is the wrong HU for you. I'd take a look at some of the Alpines that have the features that you're looking for.

Last edited by rton20s; 08-04-2014 at 10:32 AM..
Old 08-03-2014   #2599
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 dan7u will become famous soon enoughdan7u will become famous soon enoughdan7u will become famous soon enoughdan7u will become famous soon enoughdan7u will become famous soon enoughdan7u will become famous soon enough

I ask because I currently have one, and I was happy with it, but the front RCA outputs of the deck starting causing on/off pop & whine on the left and some popping during playing on the right. It would kick the amp into protect every time it happened. I moved the speakers to the rear output and it solved the problem, but now I can't use the time alignment feature properly. From what I've read, this deck no longer uses the pico fuses. Anyone run into this same issue and know of a repair?
dan7u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014   #2600
DIYMA 500 Club

You could run a ground from the RCA ground to the radio chassis. That got rid of noise on my past Pioneer's.

Quote:
I ask because I currently have one, and I was happy with it, but the front RCA outputs of the deck starting causing on/off pop & whine on the left and some popping during playing on the right. It would kick the amp into protect every time it happened. I moved the speakers to the rear output and it solved the problem, but now I can't use the time alignment feature properly. From what I've read, this deck no longer uses the pico fuses. Anyone run into this same issue and know of a repair?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement