Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117? - Page 109 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2016   #2701

Rep Power: 0 rscecil007 will become famous soon enoughrscecil007 will become famous soon enoughrscecil007 will become famous soon enoughrscecil007 will become famous soon enoughrscecil007 will become famous soon enoughrscecil007 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingrob View Post
If all you want is a head unit to do lossless, why not the Pioneer DEH-X8700BS so you can play lossless (FLAC, WAV) off of a USB. Or are you also interested in the network mode and T/A?
Exactly, I should have said that. I also want it for the EQ, T/A, and so I can run active off it.
rscecil007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016   #2702

Rep Power: 77 SQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

The 80prs can be had for around $200-$210 from jet.
SQLnovice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2016   #2703
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 dsteinschneider will become famous soon enoughdsteinschneider will become famous soon enoughdsteinschneider will become famous soon enoughdsteinschneider will become famous soon enoughdsteinschneider will become famous soon enoughdsteinschneider will become famous soon enough

I just bought a second DEH-80PRS so I've been flipping through threads about it just to see what people have been saying since I bought the first one in 2012. I would like to hear one setup with great components and tuned by an expert.

In my case I just connected it plug and play into an existing Passat Monsoon "Premium" amp/speaker setup. I then put the setup mic where my head is and let it do its thing. At first I fiddled with bigger and bigger USB drives full of 320 mp3's but found the navigation lacking. I then bought a Samsung Note 2 and connected it by bluetooth to stream Google Play Music All Access. I installed an audio driver on the phone called Vipre4Android. I find the bluetooth source sounds fine on 80PRS, especially if you download the albums which I do when I find one that warrants repeat listening. The sound is very even - much like the Tannoy studio monitors I use for mixing. I love the soundstage. Perhaps if I had higher quality speakers and amps I would hear more difference between the mp3's and bluetooth. I'd still take the bluetooth streaming, it's awesome to be to pull up almost any music ever made.
dsteinschneider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016   #2704
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 greg_b will become famous soon enoughgreg_b will become famous soon enoughgreg_b will become famous soon enoughgreg_b will become famous soon enoughgreg_b will become famous soon enoughgreg_b will become famous soon enough

Running my prs-80 active to an eclipse xa4000, using the JBL p660c 6.5's. Mid in the stock hole, highs in the sail panel.

I set the xover point at 80hz low/mid low, and mid/high crosses at 3k.

Re-ran autotune, and it changed the points a bit. I came in afterward and increased the low/mod slope to 24db, as I liked the sound a little better...

trying to get the bottom end to sound a bit less "muddy" if that makes sense, I feel I'm lacking definition down there..

listening position- left position puts the stage behind me, right position widens things up and pushes the stage forward...

There was a post a long time ago about dialing the system in by using test tones and making changes until the speaker location 'dissappears' does anybody have a handy pointer to that?

Also- alt whine. Stupid pico fuse! grounding the RCA's at the amplifier didn't help, guess I'll have to do it at the HU as well, and might as well dig into the unit when I have it apart..

PRS-80 is confirmed to use pico, right?

Greg

**brace for impact, bitches**
greg_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #2705
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 91 gregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enough

Has anybody successfully relocated the 80PRS face plate? Because of the lack of space I'm kicking around the idea of extending the faceplate to my dash / center console while having the actual receiver mounted in the glove box or somewhere else out of the way.

gregerst22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2016   #2706

Rep Power: 0 haberdashing will become famous soon enoughhaberdashing will become famous soon enoughhaberdashing will become famous soon enoughhaberdashing will become famous soon enoughhaberdashing will become famous soon enoughhaberdashing will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteinschneider View Post
I just bought a second DEH-80PRS so I've been flipping through threads about it just to see what people have been saying since I bought the first one in 2012. I would like to hear one setup with great components and tuned by an expert.

In my case I just connected it plug and play into an existing Passat Monsoon "Premium" amp/speaker setup. I then put the setup mic where my head is and let it do its thing. At first I fiddled with bigger and bigger USB drives full of 320 mp3's but found the navigation lacking. I then bought a Samsung Note 2 and connected it by bluetooth to stream Google Play Music All Access. I installed an audio driver on the phone called Vipre4Android. I find the bluetooth source sounds fine on 80PRS, especially if you download the albums which I do when I find one that warrants repeat listening. The sound is very even - much like the Tannoy studio monitors I use for mixing. I love the soundstage. Perhaps if I had higher quality speakers and amps I would hear more difference between the mp3's and bluetooth. I'd still take the bluetooth streaming, it's awesome to be to pull up almost any music ever made.
I just ordered a 80prs to install to my generic monsoon mk4 gti system. Which settings did you use? There is like switch on the back with hi/mid/low, or something else idk?
haberdashing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2016   #2707
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Rep Power: 123 gumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enough

Default Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberdashing View Post
I just ordered a 80prs to install to my generic monsoon mk4 gti system. Which settings did you use? There is like switch on the back with hi/mid/low, or something else idk?

I believe u r talking about the network settings on the 80prs. If u r running the 80prs in network mode/active, u will use your rca preouts as high/mid/low for the tweets, midbass, and sub. If u running the 80prs in normal mode, i believe thats what it is called, the rca preouts will be front/rear/sub. It all depends if u r running the 80prs in network or normal mode. I believe there is a switch on the 80prs that u have to set to either network or normal, but i cant remember for sure its been a while since i ran that deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gumbeelee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2016   #2708

Rep Power: 67 eldondo will become famous soon enougheldondo will become famous soon enougheldondo will become famous soon enougheldondo will become famous soon enougheldondo will become famous soon enougheldondo will become famous soon enough

the high and low switch is for aux,so you can run rca low or speaker high
eldondo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2016   #2709
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldondo View Post
the high and low switch is for aux,so you can run rca low or speaker high
Correct. Well, not for aux, actually. For the RCA inputs on the rear of the head unit. Aux on the DEH-80PRS is the 1/8"/3.5mm input on the right side of the face of the head unit.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2016   #2710
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 S2G-Unit will become famous soon enoughS2G-Unit will become famous soon enoughS2G-Unit will become famous soon enoughS2G-Unit will become famous soon enoughS2G-Unit will become famous soon enoughS2G-Unit will become famous soon enough

I'm using a 2013 Nexus 7 with hifimediy USB DAC & Lossless files, CDT speakers & kicker amp:

If I connect this DAC to the 80PRS using AUX input, let's say 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Shouldn't the sound quality be pretty good considering the USB is not using my tablet's headphone/internal DAC?

How about if we compare USB DAC>3.5mm to spdif>minidsp or similar DSP with optical input>amp?
S2G-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2016   #2711

Rep Power: 67 eldondo will become famous soon enougheldondo will become famous soon enougheldondo will become famous soon enougheldondo will become famous soon enougheldondo will become famous soon enougheldondo will become famous soon enough

i do believe theres two aux on the prs80 there one on the back that uses rca and in the menu it says aux1 and aux2
eldondo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2016   #2712
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldondo View Post
i do believe theres two aux on the prs80 there one on the back that uses rca and in the menu it says aux1 and aux2
Actually, you are correct. Pioneer refers to the rear RCAs as AUX2. This is the input that uses the high/low switch. AUX1 is the front 3.5mm input. The rear 3.5mm input is of the mic.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
Old 02-26-2016   #2713
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 121 Rydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enoughRydsen will become famous soon enough

So my Android phone updated to 6.0 Marshmallow last week and the BT control stopped working. I could still stream music to my 80PRS and make and receive hands free calls but that was it. The steering wheel control no longer skipped tracks over BT. So I decided to finally update the BT firmware on the H/U despite holding out for over 2.5 years. Well, something went wrong during the BT transfer/update process (worst update process ever designed) and now I have the dreaded error-10 and no BT capability at all. I've search both this thread and elsewhere online and all I can gather is the BT module inside the H/U is bad now and has to be physically replaced. I called Pioneer and they said I had to send it to the nearest service center and pay for it to be "fixed". I'm pretty frickin' livid about this. I followed their steps and did exactly as it said and now it's my fault somehow. Has anyone been able to revert back somehow, fix it on their own, or have any other solutions? I called the closest service center which is literally 2 states away and it's going to be about $140 for just the chip not including labor and shipping. I might as well just buy a brand new one for ~$240 with a new warranty. But before I do that, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone may have any other ideas first.
Rydsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016   #2714
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 169 rekd0514 will become famous soon enoughrekd0514 will become famous soon enoughrekd0514 will become famous soon enoughrekd0514 will become famous soon enoughrekd0514 will become famous soon enoughrekd0514 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydsen View Post
So my Android phone updated to 6.0 Marshmallow last week and the BT control stopped working. I could still stream music to my 80PRS and make and receive hands free calls but that was it. The steering wheel control no longer skipped tracks over BT. So I decided to finally update the BT firmware on the H/U despite holding out for over 2.5 years. Well, something went wrong during the BT transfer/update process (worst update process ever designed) and now I have the dreaded error-10 and no BT capability at all. I've search both this thread and elsewhere online and all I can gather is the BT module inside the H/U is bad now and has to be physically replaced. I called Pioneer and they said I had to send it to the nearest service center and pay for it to be "fixed". I'm pretty frickin' livid about this. I followed their steps and did exactly as it said and now it's my fault somehow. Has anyone been able to revert back somehow, fix it on their own, or have any other solutions? I called the closest service center which is literally 2 states away and it's going to be about $140 for just the chip not including labor and shipping. I might as well just buy a brand new one for ~$240 with a new warranty. But before I do that, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone may have any other ideas first.
I have a Nexus 5x with Marshmallow and I don't recall any issues with mine.

The update on their site indicates it is only needed for IOS users.
rekd0514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2016   #2715

Rep Power: 65 lynchknot will become famous soon enoughlynchknot will become famous soon enoughlynchknot will become famous soon enoughlynchknot will become famous soon enoughlynchknot will become famous soon enoughlynchknot will become famous soon enough

Has it been mentioned about the sluggish volume control? It requires an incredible amount turns to get a small response in volume. Maybe it's just mine.
lynchknot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2016   #2716
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 91 ghionw will become famous soon enoughghionw will become famous soon enoughghionw will become famous soon enoughghionw will become famous soon enoughghionw will become famous soon enoughghionw will become famous soon enough

The faster you try to go, the worst it is.
ghionw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2016   #2717
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

Yea that drove me nuts about the 80prs when I ran one. All the voltage is at the end of the dial. I wish they made it like all the other pios that get loud in the 20s

Golden Ear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2016   #2718
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchknot View Post
Has it been mentioned about the sluggish volume control? It requires an incredible amount turns to get a small response in volume. Maybe it's just mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghionw View Post
The faster you try to go, the worst it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Ear View Post
Yea that drove me nuts about the 80prs when I ran one. All the voltage is at the end of the dial. I wish they made it like all the other pios that get loud in the 20s

Old 03-03-2016   #2719
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 sbeezy will become famous soon enoughsbeezy will become famous soon enoughsbeezy will become famous soon enoughsbeezy will become famous soon enoughsbeezy will become famous soon enoughsbeezy will become famous soon enough

I like that I have to go to 100% to get full voltage/volume, that way I know my deck isn't clipping when setting the gains on an amplifier! I love that about the 80PRS, she's about to be evicted by Clarion's NX706 though.
sbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2016   #2720
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 sbeezy will become famous soon enoughsbeezy will become famous soon enoughsbeezy will become famous soon enoughsbeezy will become famous soon enoughsbeezy will become famous soon enoughsbeezy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydsen View Post
Mine gave me error10 also I reset the unit with the button and reflashed it and it works perfectly
Old 03-03-2016   #2721

Rep Power: 65 lynchknot will become famous soon enoughlynchknot will become famous soon enoughlynchknot will become famous soon enoughlynchknot will become famous soon enoughlynchknot will become famous soon enoughlynchknot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
I like that I have to go to 100% to get full voltage/volume, that way
Should it be necessary to have to turn the volume knob so many times to get there?
Old 03-03-2016   #2722
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Should it be necessary to have to turn the volume knob so many times to get there?

Not really, but I use my remote(CD-R510) so no turning the knob for me.

Sent from my iPhone(Maci) using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2016   #2723
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Take your time with the knob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post

Old 03-03-2016   #2724

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
Take your time with the knob...slow is smooth, smooth is fast
hehe well, it's not like i'm getting reckless with the knob and may overshoot my desired level and have to readjust or start over.
Old 03-05-2016   #2725
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:

I think we can put the blame on the alps pot that makes up the volume control

Sent from my iPhone(Maci) using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement