Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117? - Page 112 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2018   #2776

Rep Power: 70 MAIDEN69 will become famous soon enoughMAIDEN69 will become famous soon enoughMAIDEN69 will become famous soon enoughMAIDEN69 will become famous soon enoughMAIDEN69 will become famous soon enoughMAIDEN69 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

Can someone help me out on this head unit. I will be running the Dayton DSP with SI 3 ways and a sub. I want to use the front output on the 80PRS to feed the dsp for the 3 way front stage. Full range output. I want to use the Sub output on the 80PRS to feed the Dayton for the subwoofer. Can the Sub output on the 80PRS be Full Range? If so, does the Subwoofer Level(volume) feature still work? Or does it only work if using the internal low pass xover? I want the Sub Level feature but want to have all the processing done by the DSP.
And what compatability with Android phones does this have? Just phone calls? I have an Ipod Classic loaded with my entire cd collection in Windows Lossless that will stay in the car. Does this head unit show the track info on the screen from the ipod? Art? I'm guessing no. Wish they made a double din version so I can have a backup camera. I am considering this one and just run a camera that will pop up on my phone.
MAIDEN69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2018   #2777

Rep Power: 22 OneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAIDEN69 View Post
Can someone help me out on this head unit. I will be running the Dayton DSP with SI 3 ways and a sub. I want to use the front output on the 80PRS to feed the dsp for the 3 way front stage. Full range output. I want to use the Sub output on the 80PRS to feed the Dayton for the subwoofer. Can the Sub output on the 80PRS be Full Range? If so, does the Subwoofer Level(volume) feature still work? Or does it only work if using the internal low pass xover? I want the Sub Level feature but want to have all the processing done by the DSP.
And what compatability with Android phones does this have? Just phone calls? I have an Ipod Classic loaded with my entire cd collection in Windows Lossless that will stay in the car. Does this head unit show the track info on the screen from the ipod? Art? I'm guessing no. Wish they made a double din version so I can have a backup camera. I am considering this one and just run a camera that will pop up on my phone.

Put the 80 PRS in standard mode (opposed to network mode). Its default position from the factory is standard mode, so if you've never switched it, just leave it as is.

Connect it to the Dayton DSP 408 as you planned... 2 RCAs full range (right and left) and 2 RCAs for subs (right and left). There's no need to worry about having a full range signal for subs. Just connect them this way. Then, if you choose, you can control the subwoofer level from the HU.

I have no experience with Android, but it should work fine with your iPod. It will display track, artist, album information if it's in your device.

Art? No. It's single din, non-color display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hykbooks View Post
Dam the day I went the dsp and helix route.

Dam this dsp, and all this crappy car audio journey
OneGun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018   #2778
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 361 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What you describe is exactly how I have used my DEH-80PRS through two different DSPs (Mosconi 6to8 V8 and Helix DSP.2) and it works quite well. Other than being a bit cumbersome to adjust sub level (which I rarely do).

As OneGun mentioned, if set in Standard mode use the Front channels to feed full range L/R to the DSP by using the lowest possible HPF and set the slope to PASS. You can do the same in Network Mode with the Mid channels (HPF: 25 / LPF: 12.5k set to PASS). For the sub channel, the best you can do is set the LPF to 250Hz with a 12dB slope.

I don't have an Android phone, so I can't comment on compatibility. With an iPhone it will display Artist, Album and Song information but no album art. If things like album art, Android Auto or a large display are important to you, it might be worth looking at some of the current double DINs available. You won't be sacrificing anything from an SQ standpoint.

Kenwood DDX9905S | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018   #2779

Rep Power: 70 MAIDEN69 will become famous soon enoughMAIDEN69 will become famous soon enoughMAIDEN69 will become famous soon enoughMAIDEN69 will become famous soon enoughMAIDEN69 will become famous soon enoughMAIDEN69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
What you describe is exactly how I have used my DEH-80PRS through two different DSPs (Mosconi 6to8 V8 and Helix DSP.2) and it works quite well. Other than being a bit cumbersome to adjust sub level (which I rarely do).

As OneGun mentioned, if set in Standard mode use the Front channels to feed full range L/R to the DSP by using the lowest possible HPF and set the slope to PASS. You can do the same in Network Mode with the Mid channels (HPF: 25 / LPF: 12.5k set to PASS). For the sub channel, the best you can do is set the LPF to 250Hz with a 12dB slope.

I don't have an Android phone, so I can't comment on compatibility. With an iPhone it will display Artist, Album and Song information but no album art. If things like album art, Android Auto or a large display are important to you, it might be worth looking at some of the current double DINs available. You won't be sacrificing anything from an SQ standpoint.
The double dins just don't seem to be marketed for SQ. Never a mention of anything of those sorts, at least that I can find. A double din would be better in this install as it is a Lexus LS400. A big sedan. A backup camera would sure be nice. Are there any known models to look at? Alpine? Kenwood? Pioneer?
Old 10-18-2018   #2780

Oh, and how is it cumbersome to use the sub level? Is it that you have to cycle through other functions to get to it?
Old 10-18-2018   #2781

Rep Power: 36 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Oh, and how is it cumbersome to use the sub level? Is it that you have to cycle through other functions to get to it?
Minimum of 2 presses on the volume knob then you can adjust with the lever. As for Android compatibility, it will do phone operations just fine, bluetooth works but without song info, and usb connection presents as removable storage.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ckirocz28 For This Useful Post:
MAIDEN69 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018   #2782
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 361 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The double dins just don't seem to be marketed for SQ. Never a mention of anything of those sorts, at least that I can find. A double din would be better in this install as it is a Lexus LS400. A big sedan. A backup camera would sure be nice. Are there any known models to look at? Alpine? Kenwood? Pioneer?
Most of the best SQ cars in the world are not using a DEH-80PRS as their source. You're more likely to see OE head units, stand alone media players direct to a DSP, DD head unit from one of the big names, and in some cases the Sony RSX-GS9. If you're interested in an aftermarket DD for the feature sets they offer, there are decent options at varying prices from all of the brands you mentioned. I might throw Sony into that mix as well. I would recommend reading reviews on sites like this one and some of the better FB groups if you find a unit that "checks all of the boxes." There have been some instances that something that looks great on paper hasn't been up to par in the real world. And you'll rarely see that info in a review on sites like Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix or Amazon.

Quote:
ckirocz28 is correct. A minimum of two button pushes to get to the level control if it is the last place you navigated to within the menu structure. More if it was not the last place.

Kenwood DDX9905S | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
MAIDEN69 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-19-2018   #2783

I just bought one either way. If I don't use it in my Lexus, I will save it for my 46 Harvester. Would be perfect for the system I plan on using in it. Will take a look at the double dins as well. My issue is my eyes suck these days. Just did a nice Kenwood double din in my son's Lexus. Half the time I can't read it with the sun or if I'm driving. But at night, it sure is sweet.
Old 10-19-2018   #2784

Rep Power: 22 OneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I just bought one either way. If I don't use it in my Lexus, I will save it for my 46 Harvester. Would be perfect for the system I plan on using in it. Will take a look at the double dins as well. My issue is my eyes suck these days. Just did a nice Kenwood double din in my son's Lexus. Half the time I can't read it with the sun or if I'm driving. But at night, it sure is sweet.

A lot of the Kenwood units that aren't touchsreen have a lot of complaints about visibility in sun. I've had a few the past couple years and can vouch for this, although for me it wasn't that big a deal.

If you want something to use for your new system with your DSP 408, I can share my experience. I'm using an Alpine iLX-207 in the system I have with my DSP 408. At first, I didn't think I liked the sound of the Alpine, but at the time, I didn't have the DSP installed and was running it through Infinity Kappa 6.5" coax.

Then I installed the DSP and, at the same time, replaced those Infinity's with Pioneer TS-Z65CH components. I really like the sound now and my assumption is it must be the components that are responsible for the improvement as I doubt the DSP itself is imparting any color on the sound. But one really never knows how different pieces will interact.

In any case, I'm very happy now with the Alpine iLX-207 and it has all the features anyone could want. Just make sure you purchase the dongle that gets wired in so you can access the settings while driving. Google "Alpline bypass".

Lastly, I wish I knew you were ready to by the 80PRS. I have one BNIB that I'm considering selling. I had bought/kept an extra one thinking I'd use it in another build, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards right now as I'll have no time in the foreseeable future to do anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hykbooks View Post
Dam the day I went the dsp and helix route.

Dam this dsp, and all this crappy car audio journey
OneGun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2018   #2785

I'm sure you will, or can that is, sell it. I just got mine for $240 BNIB. Assuming I get what was described, feel it was a fair price. Have not really paid attention to selling prices these days. Or what they normally go for on the internet.
Old 10-19-2018   #2786
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
ckirocz28 is correct. A minimum of two button pushes to get to the level control if it is the last place you navigated to within the menu structure. More if it was not the last place.
Correction. It is three presses on the large Multi-Control button and then adjusting the level with the Lever if you are in Network mode. Again this assumes that you were already in the AUDIO\NETWORK 2\ menu and had already selected to work with the Low LPF Filter options in the AUDIO\NETWORK 1\ menu.

In Standard Mode it takes two presses of the M.C. button and then adjustmen by the Lever. This is only if the last menu you were in is AUDIO\SW2.

Old 10-19-2018   #2787

Rep Power: 36 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Correction. It is three presses on the large Multi-Control button and then adjusting the level with the Lever if you are in Network mode. Again this assumes that you were already in the AUDIO\NETWORK 2\ menu and had already selected to work with the Low LPF Filter options in the AUDIO\NETWORK 1\ menu.

In Standard Mode it takes two presses of the M.C. button and then adjustmen by the Lever. This is only if the last menu you were in is AUDIO\SW2.
You are correct. I didn't even notice the difference when I switched to network mode, my bad.
Old 10-21-2018   #2788
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 103 alex1002 will become famous soon enoughalex1002 will become famous soon enoughalex1002 will become famous soon enoughalex1002 will become famous soon enoughalex1002 will become famous soon enoughalex1002 will become famous soon enough

I don't think this head unit is got optical out or am I wrong?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
alex1002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018   #2789
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
You are correct. I didn't even notice the difference when I switched to network mode, my bad.
No reason for a "my bad." I was actually correcting myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1002 View Post
I don't think this head unit is got optical out or am I wrong?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
No. There are very few head units with optical out.

Old 10-22-2018   #2790

12V Company:
Onlinecarstereo.com
Position:
Customer service

Rep Power: 0 Jlopz will become famous soon enoughJlopz will become famous soon enoughJlopz will become famous soon enoughJlopz will become famous soon enoughJlopz will become famous soon enoughJlopz will become famous soon enough

It's for far, the most advance single DIN in the market. We do have it available at our store Onlinecarstereo.com in Los Angeles.
Every time it comes to our stock, it lasts few days only. It's super popular.
Jlopz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018   #2791
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 rlee777 will become famous soon enoughrlee777 will become famous soon enoughrlee777 will become famous soon enoughrlee777 will become famous soon enoughrlee777 will become famous soon enoughrlee777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
For double-din SQ, consider the Kenwood DDX9904s (older) or the current DDX9905s. The SQ is excellent with the newer Kenwood DD units with strong internal DSP functions.
rlee777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018   #2792
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlopz View Post
It's for far, the most advance single DIN in the market. We do have it available at our store Onlinecarstereo.com in Los Angeles.
Every time it comes to our stock, it lasts few days only. It's super popular.
Most advanced? In what way?

I have had mine since it was released and still use it every day. It is far from the most advanced. For DSP tuning at the price point it is great, but the DEX-P99RS is far superior. And as far as features outside of tuning, the DEH-80PRS is well behind the times.

If you're going to create an account just to shill for your company without paying vendor fees, at least provide more accurate information.

Old 11-24-2018   #2793

Anyone else find that the SW/Low rca out lacks impact? I just tried getting my SW signal from the Rear rca (routing in MiniDSP) instead of the SW rca and found all of the impact and clarity I've been missing from my sub. I just though my hatch was losing more and more structural integrity, but no, my SW rca from the head unit was not delivering it. Anyone else had this problem? I'm running in Standard mode to facilitate flexibility in the MiniDSP.
Old 05-31-2019   #2794

Rep Power: 79 WinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enough

Auto tuning behavior.
When I run the auto tune the 80PRS always sets my sub low pass to 80Hz 12db/octave, and my midwoofers high pass to 100Hz 12db/octave. It also set my subwoofer delay to 400cm (max distance) but my sub distance is only 150cm. I wonder if the 80PRS set this long distance trying to compensate for the phase issue caused by the 12db/octave xover?
After reading audiofrogs simple tuning guide I entered measured distances and changed the sub/mid xover to 24db/octave at 63/80Hz. This substantially increased the lowbass output.
So I advice anyone using the autotune and missing lowbass try something similar.
WinWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #2795
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinWiz View Post
Auto tuning behavior.
When I run the auto tune the 80PRS always sets my sub low pass to 80Hz 12db/octave, and my midwoofers high pass to 100Hz 12db/octave. It also set my subwoofer delay to 400cm (max distance) but my sub distance is only 150cm. I wonder if the 80PRS set this long distance trying to compensate for the phase issue caused by the 12db/octave xover?
After reading audiofrogs simple tuning guide I entered measured distances and changed the sub/mid xover to 24db/octave at 63/80Hz. This substantially increased the lowbass output.
So I advice anyone using the autotune and missing lowbass try something similar.
As great as Pioneers fully active single dins have been over the years, their auto tune has never been excellent. It can be a good place to start, but I've had to make adjustments every time I've used it. After learning how to tune better, I stopped using it altogether, but it can get you in the ballpark quickly, which is great for someone either new to tuning, or less interested in the tuning process. I always found that auto tune set the tweeters too high as well.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #2796

Rep Power: 79 WinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enough

Yes I also always had to lower the tweeters. It would be nice if it was possible to see what the auto eq actually does...
WinWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #2797
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinWiz View Post
Yes I also always had to lower the tweeters. It would be nice if it was possible to see what the auto eq actually does...
You can take frequency response measurements of each side before and after the auto tune, but I agree, it would be nice to see on the display what the auto tune has adjusted.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019   #2798
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

One issue, for this page, the iPod function. If you select artists, it only plays the artist you select it won't play al, artists, same with albums.
I think you need to choose songs to play all songs but I will only play them in alphabetical order. The issue basically is limited, same for a play list, only plays that list over and over it won't go to the next one, it's annoying and the reason I use USB sticks cause it will play every folder as it was created.
Maybe there is something I'm overlooking but so far I am not a fan of Apple I device playback with this HU

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019   #2799

Rep Power: 0 tridoteverything will become famous soon enoughtridoteverything will become famous soon enoughtridoteverything will become famous soon enoughtridoteverything will become famous soon enoughtridoteverything will become famous soon enoughtridoteverything will become famous soon enough

How does this head unit work with a Galaxy S7?
tridoteverything is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019   #2800
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 97 jnads87 will become famous soon enoughjnads87 will become famous soon enoughjnads87 will become famous soon enoughjnads87 will become famous soon enoughjnads87 will become famous soon enoughjnads87 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridoteverything View Post
How does this head unit work with a Galaxy S7?
Works perfectly. I was using mine with an s7 for about 3 years. Anything in particular you're asking about?

Pioneer DEH-80prs - Alpine PDX-M6 - Arc Audio KS 300.4 - HAT L6SE Carbon's - HAT L1 PRO R2's - Morel Ultimo SC12
jnads87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement