Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117? - Page 92 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013   #2276
Upgrade Your Membership!

Inappropriate Thoughts

Rep Power: 1030 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD240 View Post
The issue is not while listening to music. The issue is during tuning. If you're doing TA, EQ, etc by ear it is hard to notice the minute differences when the sound is interrupted by a beep.

I never found it to be a huge issue. But it was annoying, nonetheless.
Exactly! That beep really pissed me off while the rta was running! It annoyed me while listening to music at a lower level too.

Oh well, it's water under the bridge as my DEH-80POS is nothing but a fading memory now!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

2019 WRX Limited with stock HK sound while iDatalink prepares the Maestro RR2 for the modern day Subaru

"Beware of the forum boner for it will screw you every time!"
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013   #2277
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

I've owned nothing but pioneer headunits since the first one I installed in my '86 Cougar back in 2000. One thing I've always noticed is that even tho the volume dial goes all the way up to 50 or 60 you only have to turn it up to around 20 for it to get loud. On my 80prs, whether using the built in amp or my full system, I have to crank it up into the 40s and 50s for it to get loud. Is this how everyone's unit is or did I get a defective one?
Golden Ear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013   #2278
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 100 robtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Ear View Post
I've owned nothing but pioneer headunits since the first one I installed in my '86 Cougar back in 2000. One thing I've always noticed is that even tho the volume dial goes all the way up to 50 or 60 you only have to turn it up to around 20 for it to get loud. On my 80prs, whether using the built in amp or my full system, I have to crank it up into the 40s and 50s for it to get loud. Is this how everyone's unit is or did I get a defective one?
Yep, low 40's for an adequate rockin' experience. 50's is just insane.

2008 328xi. X7800BT, D8604 & D9605, MT-230, GB40, xe200, 12" Primo in Musicar box. 2006 XC90. 3300NEX, F4 (X2) & M12, GB10, GB25, AR6K, GB12D4 (X2). 2005 Malibu RLXI. MBT-RX, MXAZEQ5BT, LC6.1200, DRT 26, AR6K's (X2), L5-8 in PWK designed box. 1980 Triumph TR8. MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, D9605, GS62, L7T (X2).
robtr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013   #2279
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 NA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I run mine to the upper 50's almost ever time I use it. I run 62(Max) quite often also. The voltage difference between 61-62 is almost 1 Volt. I tested my 80 and it was a Clean unclipped signal all the way to 62. I set my gains accordingly. No big deal. I don't think I've used the amp in a deck in over 15 yrs
NA$TY-TA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013   #2280
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info guys! I was starting to think I had a defective unit. I like the fact that there's so much fine volume adjustability but I hate the fact that when I mute the sound and push the volume up button I have to scroll all the way up to 40 instead of around 15. Lol
Old 12-22-2013   #2281
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA View Post
I run mine to the upper 50's almost ever time I use it. I run 62(Max) quite often also. The voltage difference between 61-62 is almost 1 Volt. I tested my 80 and it was a Clean unclipped signal all the way to 62. I set my gains accordingly. No big deal. I don't think I've used the amp in a deck in over 15 yrs

Check the subwoofer output. On the p99, all outputs are clean to 62 except for the subwoofer. The sub out is clean to 61, clips pretty ugly at 62. Thats with everything flat.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013   #2282
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 NA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enoughNA$TY-TA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
Check the subwoofer output. On the p99, all outputs are clean to 62 except for the subwoofer. The sub out is clean to 61, clips pretty ugly at 62. Thats with everything flat.
I recheck the sub channel. Thanks
NA$TY-TA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013   #2283

Rep Power: 0 GVF86 will become famous soon enoughGVF86 will become famous soon enoughGVF86 will become famous soon enoughGVF86 will become famous soon enoughGVF86 will become famous soon enoughGVF86 will become famous soon enough

Hello, I'm still learning and interested in getting this HU.
I've read here that it can do 3 way+sub. (highs/mids/midbass/subw)
how can it do that out of 3 pair of RCAs output?

Thanks.
GVF86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013   #2284
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVF86 View Post

Thanks.
It does 2 way + sub active by itself. If you want 3 way + sub you need to add a dsp or run it with passive crossovers.
Old 12-27-2013   #2285
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 97 ramonesfan will become famous soon enoughramonesfan will become famous soon enoughramonesfan will become famous soon enoughramonesfan will become famous soon enoughramonesfan will become famous soon enoughramonesfan will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thanks.
You can run 3-way passive with this deck, NP. The RCA's are for the amp(s) that you'll use. If you're just getting started, might want to start with a 5-channel amp to keep things simple. I put an Alpine PDX-V9 in my daughters car, works like a champ. Lots of options out there based on your budget & space available.

If you want to go active with the 3-way, that will take some additional stuff, couple of ways to do. But if you're still learning - stick with the passive set-up thru the crossovers and some amp power, you'll be very happy.
ramonesfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013   #2286

Rep Power: 0 GVF86 will become famous soon enoughGVF86 will become famous soon enoughGVF86 will become famous soon enoughGVF86 will become famous soon enoughGVF86 will become famous soon enoughGVF86 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesfan View Post
You can run 3-way passive with this deck, NP. The RCA's are for the amp(s) that you'll use. If you're just getting started, might want to start with a 5-channel amp to keep things simple. I put an Alpine PDX-V9 in my daughters car, works like a champ. Lots of options out there based on your budget & space available.

If you want to go active with the 3-way, that will take some additional stuff, couple of ways to do. But if you're still learning - stick with the passive set-up thru the crossovers and some amp power, you'll be very happy.
Well, I'm not that a noob but I was asking cause I read it here and probably missunderstood it.

I installed an alpine PDX-V9 with some kicker SS8 Midbass, a set of kicker SS comps and a PG RSDc 10" on a friend's SUV... I used the amp crossovers (bandpass mode on rear outs for Midbass) front outs for mid/highs comps...

Kickpanels and midbass in the doors. It sounds very nice, I actually took it to an IASCA competition an got a nice score.

The thing is that car audio stuff is very expensive where I'm from (Colombia), signal processors are way to expensive for me. So I was thinking a set of 4" comps in the A pillar, Midbass in the doors and sub in the trunk with the DEH-80PRS. Is it possible to run it in network mode using a pair of outputs for the comps, another for the midbass and the last one for the sub? That way I'll be running active the midbass and woofer and passive the comps.

Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2013   #2287
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 305 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

The lowpass for the mid and highpass for the high outputs will only go down to 1.25khz so keep that in mind.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013   #2288
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
The lowpass for the mid and highpass for the high outputs will only go down to 1.25khz so keep that in mind.
This part is key. The DEH-80PRS is great for what it does, but a few too many people are trying to get it to do things it just wasn't designed to do. If you want an installation more complicated than front + rear + sub or two way + sub, the DEH-80PRS might be a great foundation, but you're definitely going to have to find some additional equipment to accomplish your goals.
rton20s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013   #2289

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
This part is key. The DEH-80PRS is great for what it does, but a few too many people are trying to get it to do things it just wasn't designed to do. If you want an installation more complicated than front + rear + sub or two way + sub, the DEH-80PRS might be a great foundation, but you're definitely going to have to find some additional equipment to accomplish your goals.
I thought so... Ok then I'll have to same some cash to buy a processor and I could buy a much cheaper HU.

Which processor do you reccomend?
Old 12-27-2013   #2290
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought so... Ok then I'll have to same some cash to buy a processor and I could buy a much cheaper HU.

Which processor do you reccomend?
That is a whole different can of worms. Search is your friend. Be prepared for at least as many opinions as there are options.
Old 12-27-2013   #2291
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
That is a whole different can of worms. Search is your friend. Be prepared for at least as many opinions as there are options.
Ain't THAT the truth!

I just installed a RF 3Sixty.3 and am very happy with it.
Old 12-27-2013   #2292
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 fahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enough

My new Mosconi 6TO8v8 is great!

2013 MECA Street World Champion
2013 IASCA Rookie Runner-Up
Link to my 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDi build log
fahrfrompuken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013   #2293
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Be prepared for at least as many opinions as there are options.
Quote:
I just installed a RF 3Sixty.3 and am very happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrfrompuken View Post
My new Mosconi 6TO8v8 is great!
Told ya.
Old 12-27-2013   #2294
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 305 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

All external processors have their strong and weak points. Only way to find the one that's right for you is to read up on each one until your head explodes.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013   #2295

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,363 Times in 615 Posts
Rep Power: 26021 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
All external processors have their strong and weak points. Only way to find the one that's right for you is to read up on each one until your head explodes.

Truth.

Another, cheaper option is to download the software for the DSPs and play around with it first.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013   #2296

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Truth.

Another, cheaper option is to download the software for the DSPs and play around with it first.
That my friend... is a great idea!

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2013   #2297
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 100 robtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enoughrobtr8 will become famous soon enough

You can still use the 80PRS in your application. While it's true that the lowest HP setting is 1.25K, you can set the slope to 6db and have the 4" comps run quit low. Don't forget that the 80PRS is also a pretty darn good HU. It doesn't make much sense to cheap out on a HU in favor of adding a processor.

2008 328xi. X7800BT, D8604 & D9605, MT-230, GB40, xe200, 12" Primo in Musicar box. 2006 XC90. 3300NEX, F4 (X2) & M12, GB10, GB25, AR6K, GB12D4 (X2). 2005 Malibu RLXI. MBT-RX, MXAZEQ5BT, LC6.1200, DRT 26, AR6K's (X2), L5-8 in PWK designed box. 1980 Triumph TR8. MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, D9605, GS62, L7T (X2).
robtr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013   #2298
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 fahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtr8 View Post
You can still use the 80PRS in your application. While it's true that the lowest HP setting is 1.25K, you can set the slope to 6db and have the 4" comps run quit low. Don't forget that the 80PRS is also a pretty darn good HU. It doesn't make much sense to cheap out on a HU in favor of adding a processor.
Really good point... at the heart of any SQ system should be a solid HU. The processor will just make the tuning that much easier/better.

Old 12-28-2013   #2299
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 184 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

If you're doing the processing down stream via a processor and using the hu only as a source, you won't hear a difference between the p80 and most any other $100 hu.

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
sqnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013   #2300
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqnut View Post
If you're doing the processing down stream via a processor and using the hu only as a source, you won't hear a difference between the p80 and most any other $100 hu.
So you're saying that the HU (source material) matters not?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement