Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117? - Page 97 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014   #2401
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 327 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinWiz View Post
I have been trying a lot of different sub setups with my 80PRS, and I have a similar problem:
With just one dvc sub the auto ta correctly detects the subs distance as 148 cm. but with 2 subs installed running stereo in the same IB the left side sub is still correctly detected at 148cm but the right side is detected as 250 cm. away, when its really only 153 cm away from the mic.
I figured standing waves inside my car screw up the auto ta, so I tried manually setting both subs at 148cm but I ended up just parallel connecting the 2 dvc subs in a mono setup. This way I get more power from my small RF amp and the auto ta seems to work correctly
That's why I love auto tune...

150 or 153cm doesn't matter. Just run them as mono.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014   #2402

Rep Power: 78 WinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
That's why I love auto tune...

150 or 153cm doesn't matter. Just run them as mono.

Its not 150 vs 153 but 150 vs 250 cm!

And yes running subs bridged in mono was my simple fix.
WinWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014   #2403
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 327 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Nah I wondered if you were running subs in stereo just because of the 3cm PLD

Guess you don't.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014   #2404

Rep Power: 71 DrewV will become famous soon enoughDrewV will become famous soon enoughDrewV will become famous soon enoughDrewV will become famous soon enoughDrewV will become famous soon enoughDrewV will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pioneer's SPANKING new DEH-80PRS. Pioneer's knockout punch to Alpine's CDA-117?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
They're the same. It's just the lighting color that makes it look off.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Can I just interrupt the discussion here to state that your avatar is among the best I've ever seen.

That a$$ is outrageous.

Carry on.
DrewV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014   #2405

Rep Power: 82 di_sjo will become famous soon enoughdi_sjo will become famous soon enoughdi_sjo will become famous soon enoughdi_sjo will become famous soon enoughdi_sjo will become famous soon enoughdi_sjo will become famous soon enough

Sorry i've not had chance to go through 61 pages.. can anyone confirm 100% that it is not possible to disable the beeps on this head unit? It's nasty when you are trying to set up EQ/TA etc. - it distracts your ears whilst you are trying to listen to subtle differences.

Maybe a future firmware could fix?

di_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014   #2406

Rep Power: 77 NateZ28 will become famous soon enoughNateZ28 will become famous soon enoughNateZ28 will become famous soon enoughNateZ28 will become famous soon enoughNateZ28 will become famous soon enoughNateZ28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by di_sjo View Post
Sorry i've not had chance to go through 61 pages.. can anyone confirm 100% that it is not possible to disable the beeps on this head unit? It's nasty when you are trying to set up EQ/TA etc. - it distracts your ears whilst you are trying to listen to subtle differences.

Maybe a future firmware could fix?
Fix:
1. Remove screws from head unit and open
2. Find small speaker emitting beeps
3. Remove power wire from speaker
Problem solved.
NateZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014   #2407

Rep Power: 82 di_sjo will become famous soon enoughdi_sjo will become famous soon enoughdi_sjo will become famous soon enoughdi_sjo will become famous soon enoughdi_sjo will become famous soon enoughdi_sjo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateZ28 View Post
Fix:
Problem solved.
I'm not adverse to doing that, if it's a serious solution?

Old 03-03-2014   #2408
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 265 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Mine only beeps when using the SWC, with the faceplate it's silent. I can't say what the remote does. The battery for mine is dead. It the remote is, not sure until I get the car back and get a new battery for the remote.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014   #2409

Rep Power: 77 NateZ28 will become famous soon enoughNateZ28 will become famous soon enoughNateZ28 will become famous soon enoughNateZ28 will become famous soon enoughNateZ28 will become famous soon enoughNateZ28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm not adverse to doing that, if it's a serious solution?
I've dug through the settings and cannot find any solution other than that. I'm running the latest firmware. I prefer to not crack open the unit and "Void the warranty".
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Mine only beeps when using the SWC, with the faceplate it's silent. I can't say what the remote does. The battery for mine is dead. It the remote is, not sure until I get the car back and get a new battery for the remote.

Mine beeps any time I adjust the volume remotely, using my steering wheel controls. It's obnoxious.
Old 03-03-2014   #2410

I am talking about the menu navigation beeps, not for things like the volume control.

Old 03-03-2014   #2411

Quote:
I am talking about the menu navigation beeps, not for things like the volume control.
I understand but there is no way to disable either of them.
Old 03-03-2014   #2412

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 253 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateZ28 View Post
Fix:
Problem solved.
Sound like a plan. But I'd rather slap a piece of CLD over the emitter hole. It's probably one of those cap looking speakers. Does anyone know for sure that the sound is from the unit itself or from the speakers?

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014   #2413

Rep Power: 71 DrewV will become famous soon enoughDrewV will become famous soon enoughDrewV will become famous soon enoughDrewV will become famous soon enoughDrewV will become famous soon enoughDrewV will become famous soon enough

It's coming from the internal piezo buzzer. There is a DIY for the Pico fuse somewhere and you can just use that to get into the unit to disable the buzzer if you want.

I like the idea of covering it with some CLD. The buzzers don't put out a ton of sound, and covering the hole would do it. You could even throw some epoxy down in the hole to fill it. But either way, you'd have to open up the unit to fix it.

Most people just ignore it.
Old 03-03-2014   #2414

I have another question:

Right now, I am planning to run 80 WRMS to the front woofers and power the tweeters off the HU internal amp, then run 240 WRMS to an IDQ10 sub. I think this will work out well.

But if I were to use the 80PRS internal amp to power my tweeters up front, but supplied more power to the woofers (say, a full 160 WRMS), would I have problems trying to balance them? That is, would the woofers just tend to overwhelm the tweeters, or would the HU internal amp be able to keep up?

I'm curious about this because I may bridge my 4-ch amp to power the woofers, and keep the tweeters on the HU internal amp, then add another mono amp (500WRMS to an IDQ10) for the sub.

I'm no expert, but I don't want to have to add a separate sub amp if I can't take advantage of the extra power to the woofers. I just have no feel for what kind of power each of these components can handle and still sound like a "system" together.
Old 03-03-2014   #2415
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

I think that it would probably be very equipment dependent. Where are the tweeters crossed over? Do the mids and tweeters both have the same resistance? Do you have accurate, comparable sensitivity ratings for the tweeter and mids?

With enough information, you can get a rough estimate of how many dB each driver should be able to produce. Knowing that you don't need as many dB in the higher frequencies, you will probably be ok. But you might try it and notice that you aren't happy with the tweeters off of the head unit.

Worst case scenario, you give it a shot and decide you aren't satisfied. Go pick up a dedicated subwoofer amp, or swap the 4 channel for a 5 channel amp.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014   #2416

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
I think that it would probably be very equipment dependent. Where are the tweeters crossed over? Do the mids and tweeters both have the same resistance? Do you have accurate, comparable sensitivity ratings for the tweeter and mids?

With enough information, you can get a rough estimate of how many dB each driver should be able to produce. Knowing that you don't need as many dB in the higher frequencies, you will probably be ok. But you might try it and notice that you aren't happy with the tweeters off of the head unit.

Worst case scenario, you give it a shot and decide you aren't satisfied. Go pick up a dedicated subwoofer amp, or swap the 4 channel for a 5 channel amp.

I actually haven't installed anything yet, but I'll try to supply more information:

1) Component set is JBL MS-62c, which is around 90dB sensitivity and 160 WRMS power handling. I don't know much else about the set.

2) Crossovers will be around 63-80 LP and 2k HP, probably 12dB rolloff.

3) I actually already own the sub amp, but I'm shooting for simplicity for the install and I'd prefer not to use it if there will be no benefit. But if the HU internal amp can actually keep up with the full 160 WRMS to the woofers and 300+ WRMS to the sub, then I would probably go ahead and bridge the 4-ch amp and go to the trouble to hook up a distro block for both amps.

4) I agree -- if I go ahead and set it up with the 4-ch amp to the woofers + sub (bridged) and don't like it, then I can always add the sub amp separately. But I guess if the educated folks around here say that the HU internal amp is powerful enough to keep up with the added power of the bridged 4-ch and separate mono sub amp, then I would probably spring for the extra work required to add the distro block and extra wiring for the separate sub amp.

Since I haven't installed anything yet, I still have the luxury of asking for opinions that I can use to help me make my decision.

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-29-2014   #2417

Rep Power: 73 hykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enough

Guys I don't know why I can't get auto eq to work when I press it it tells me to set fl/fr and I don't know what that means.

I am connected passively to my jbl msa1004 focals krx3 and audison lrx1.1 for my subs

Also I don't get the full menu I see on YouTube I am really not understanding the manual either

Can someone shed alight how to auto eq

Also what is this internal amp and where is that setting for it, man this head unit is complicated and has a bad written manual
hykhleif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014   #2418

Rep Power: 91 BlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
Guys I don't know why I can't get auto eq to work when I press it it tells me to set fl/fr and I don't know what that means.

I am connected passively to my jbl msa1004 focals krx3 and audison lrx1.1 for my subs

Also I don't get the full menu I see on YouTube I am really not understanding the manual either

Also what is this internal amp and where is that setting for it, man this head unit is complicated and has a bad written manual
Turn the power off . Then press the master control knob in . Another menu will pop up . There you will find your choices on turning off/on the internal amp .
BlackHHR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014   #2419

Rep Power: 91 BlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enoughBlackHHR will become famous soon enough

Quote:

What mode are you in ? Network or standard
Have you used all of the rca outputs ?
If I am not mistaken , you must have an amp channel for the front left/right ,rear left/right and sub for auto eq to work . So you would need 5 channels of amp to make it happen .
So from the head unit
1 pair of rca for front left and right to the amp
1 pair of rca for rear left and right to the amp
1 pair of rca for the sub amp

Last edited by BlackHHR; 03-29-2014 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: add content
Old 03-29-2014   #2420
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 265 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:

FL/FR is the seating position. You have to select one to use the Auto Tune. It's in the audio settings menu labeled as "POSITION". Set it to FL (Front Left).

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014   #2421

Rep Power: 73 hykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enoughhykhleif will become famous soon enough

guys for auto eq do i need a cd to use it, as mine did not come with a cd?
Old 03-29-2014   #2422

Quote:
guys for auto eq do i need a cd to use it, as mine did not come with a cd?
No, plug in your mic . Place mic in desired position . Activate auto eq , exit vehicle and allow the unit to calibrate the system . It will take about 5 to 10 minutes to complete .
Old 03-29-2014   #2423

guys I don't know why this auto eq does not work for me

I put in the mic in the front aux, and the I go to auto eq and press the MC bottom and it keeps telling me to set auto eq and I don't what it means by that

I am using my unit in standard mode, where the focals krx3 are connected to my jbl msa1004 and my sub to my audison lex 1.1

can that be related to my jbl msa1004 amp I really want to try this auto eq thing

or maybe I am missing something here, as when I looked at my jbl I see the installers used only 1 rca for channel 1 and 2 of the jbl. I am using a krx 3 focal, so honestly i am confused what they did in the installation.

The reason for this strange setup might be due to the fact that we were aiming to do a quasi install, by adding a third amp audison lrx 2.9, but for some reason the audison lrx 2.9 did not work as it had a malfunction, so they disconnected that amp and connected everything to the jbl, but I am only seeing 1 rca going into the JBL msa1004. So I understood from them in quasi setting the krx3 woofers were supposed to be installed directly to the audison lrx2.9, i don't know why they left the rca of the woofers not connected to jbl. I know they told me its a temporary thing, but I am not knowing what exactly is going on with my current set up, all I see is only 1 rca connected to channel 1 and 2 of the jbl.

I was wondering if that is the reason why auto eq does not work

Last edited by hykhleif; 03-29-2014 at 03:10 PM..
Old 03-30-2014   #2424

Rep Power: 0 golf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enoughgolf29 will become famous soon enough

ran the auto TA/EQ ... the distances to the mids and tweets are close to the measurements using a tape measure (off by 1-2 inches), but the sub measurements are always measured at 160inches even if i move the sub at different locations at the trunk. car is a subaru forrester. hard to measure the actual distance from the headrest to the sub since the rear seat is blocking the line of measure, but i don't think it's 160 inches.

for compact suv owners, just want to ask what are your measurements for auto TA/EQ that the 80PRS is computing?

i read the manual that crossover frequencies for the sub should be adjusted to the highest frequency or turn off the LPF when doing auto TA. im guessing this is the reason for inaccurate readings? ...

or is 160cm just about right since the concept of a good sub is it should be felt and not heard.
golf29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014   #2425

Rep Power: 78 WinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enough

Hey DrewV.
I'm powering my SB29RDCN tweets [email protected] with the internal amp and have about 2x180 watts from a bridged 4 channel amp to my dynaudio 17w75 midbass drivers.
I have thought about getting another small amp for the tweets but decided its not worth it for me. I believe these old dyns has a very low sensitivity, so your milage may vary.
Try it and please report back cause i'm curious
WinWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement