Designing custom speaker grills - help me choose a design? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 93 brandontw will become famous soon enoughbrandontw will become famous soon enoughbrandontw will become famous soon enoughbrandontw will become famous soon enoughbrandontw will become famous soon enoughbrandontw will become famous soon enough

Default Designing custom speaker grills - help me choose a design?

Ive got some Dayton RS-180's in need of grills, and nowhere to buy them, but hey this is DIY afterall...

I've got a place I can get metal laser cut from cad files. The price will probably be about 20-30$ for the pair out of 1/8th inch mild steel.

So... I'm a bit stuck on the designs. I want something clean and simple, but very sturdy. They will be for kick panels... and they might get... kicked.

So here is 4 i came up with so far. Any preferences? Any SQ considerations with these?

And while i'm at it... let me know if you need any, maybe i can get a better price if i get a handful burned!

Thanks, Brandon
brandontw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 177 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Designing custom speaker grills - help me choose a design?

I like #1 the best, BUT is the RS-180 going to be your midbass only or midrange also? If midrange, I'd try to just keep the six spokes without the two rings (like #4 without the curved design. That way there's less chance of diffraction.

'17 Hyundai Sonata SE : Alpine PXE-0850S - Alpine PDX-V9 - Illusion C3CX - Audiofrog GS60 - Kicker SoloClassic15 (x2, IB)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 93 brandontw will become famous soon enoughbrandontw will become famous soon enoughbrandontw will become famous soon enoughbrandontw will become famous soon enoughbrandontw will become famous soon enoughbrandontw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
I like #1 the best, BUT is the RS-180 going to be your midbass only or midrange also? If midrange, I'd try to just keep the six spokes without the two rings (like #4 without the curved design. That way there's less chance of diffraction.
Midrange also... playing up to 2000.

I get a little worried about sturdiness on something like that... but Ill give that a try! Thanks.

Old 03-02-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Well, i think i might take the advice and go with a simple 6 spoke design...

I think this is the one ill send in for a quote to see how much they are gonna set me back.

Old 03-02-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

Rep Power: 163 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

4 is the only one that doesn't look like a shower drain

Not knocking your designs, it's just the first thing that popped into my head.

NCSQ
Notloudenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
4 is the only one that doesn't look like a shower drain

Not knocking your designs, it's just the first thing that popped into my head.

Haha.. don't feel bad. Its not like im a speaker grille designer or anything. I don't really like any of them too much, but i like the simple design i settled on.

Not really any sort of designer actually. just a guy with a computer and Inventor...

And your absolutely right. They all look like Shower drains except for 4. I hate them all now. thanks a lot... lol
Old 03-02-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 137 ISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enough

3 flavors of the same basic design...

ISTundra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

Rep Power: 163 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontw View Post
Haha.. don't feel bad. Its not like im a speaker grille designer or anything. I don't really like any of them too much, but i like the simple design i settled on.

Not really any sort of designer actually. just a guy with a computer and Inventor...

And your absolutely right. They all look like Shower drains except for 4. I hate them all now. thanks a lot... lol
Sorry dude Your work was great. I like the 6 spoke design. You might want to look up rims on tire rack and just copy a design you like.

I'd like to see what you finally decide on.

NCSQ
Old 03-02-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 177 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

On your second run I like #1 & #3. At this point I guess it depends on what vehicle you drive & what kind of theme (if any) does the rest of it follow? Do you have aftermarket wheels on your ride?

Oh, & cool designs by the way. What kind of stuff do you invent?

'17 Hyundai Sonata SE : Alpine PXE-0850S - Alpine PDX-V9 - Illusion C3CX - Audiofrog GS60 - Kicker SoloClassic15 (x2, IB)
Old 03-02-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTundra View Post
3 flavors of the same basic design...

Hey awesome! Thanks man... that gives me some more ideas.
Old 03-02-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
Sorry dude Your work was great. I like the 6 spoke design. You might want to look up rims on tire rack and just copy a design you like.

I'd like to see what you finally decide on.
Good idea! These are just a few I threw together in some 5 minute time chunks I squeezed in between real work. Maybe I'll spend a bit more time coming up with something cooler.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
On your second run I like #1 & #3. At this point I guess it depends on what vehicle you drive & what kind of theme (if any) does the rest of it follow? Do you have aftermarket wheels on your ride?

Oh, & cool designs by the way. What kind of stuff do you invent?
Well, its a 98 Audi a4. Stock everything. Mediocre interior with tan old leather, wood grain, and an awkward color of blue leather for everything else.

So... no theme. The theme is "please dont kick in my spendy speakers". Lol

Oh, and I do all the mechanical design, web design, and graphic design for a small forklift attachments company. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Cbimfg.com
Old 03-03-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 ZeNmAc will become famous soon enoughZeNmAc will become famous soon enoughZeNmAc will become famous soon enoughZeNmAc will become famous soon enoughZeNmAc will become famous soon enoughZeNmAc will become famous soon enough

As far as diffraction...

Quote:
A slit which is wider than a wavelength produces interference effects in the space downstream of the slit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction

This is speaking of diffraction through a single slit, but IIRC the principle is the same for circular apertures or multiple slits.

Wavelength
of 3khz sound is about 4.5", 2khz is more like 6.7"

Thing is, a smaller slit causes more diffraction (i.e. the sound waves spread out more) so .

Can someone double check this?
ZeNmAc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 107 MDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Well, i think i might take the advice and go with a simple 6 spoke design...

I think this is the one ill send in for a quote to see how much they are gonna set me back.

This one seems to be the best for speakers. I agree with the others when trying to watch out for diffraction. Simple may not be as edgy but definitely better for sound, but that's just my $.02

Gladen XL's, Helix c63c's, Helix DSP... Waiting to be installed
MDubYa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Well, got the quote back from the metal place. If I get them out of 1/8" stainless steel, theyll be 13$ a piece...

Thats with the "freinds and family" discount. If i got them out of regular steel they'd be cheaper... but im starting to think that the stainless might look better and be worth a few extra bucks.

I think i can do 13$ a piece...

I decided that 6 spoke design didnt have quite enough metal for me... so i tried a 12 spoke one, and a couple other randoms.

Im sick of messing with this, so any input on these few would be appreciated then ill go ahead and order a pair up:

7:

8:

9:
Old 03-07-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

Very nice.
Post pictures when you get them made.

NCSQ
Old 03-07-2012   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 ZeNmAc will become famous soon enoughZeNmAc will become famous soon enoughZeNmAc will become famous soon enoughZeNmAc will become famous soon enoughZeNmAc will become famous soon enoughZeNmAc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, got the quote back from the metal place. If I get them out of 1/8" stainless steel, theyll be 13$ a piece...

Thats with the "freinds and family" discount. If i got them out of regular steel they'd be cheaper... but im starting to think that the stainless might look better and be worth a few extra bucks.

I think i can do 13$ a piece...

I decided that 6 spoke design didnt have quite enough metal for me... so i tried a 12 spoke one, and a couple other randoms.

Im sick of messing with this, so any input on these few would be appreciated then ill go ahead and order a pair up:

7:
8:
9:
I like 7 and 9.

Any pricing differences on more than one pair? I may be interested if possible...
ZeNmAc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeNmAc View Post
I like 7 and 9.

Any pricing differences on more than one pair? I may be interested if possible...

Nope... not unless I ordered like 10 pairs.

I'd give em to you for the price I pay plus shipping if your serious.

I was thinking about ordering tomorrow, so let me know!

Also, if you've got a better idea for a design, let me know. I can draw it up and post a pic.
Old 03-08-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Out of your newest designs (7-9) I like #7 the best by far. I prefer simplicity.

Old 03-08-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Well,
The order is in...

For my Dayton RS-180's:

And for ZeNmAc's Usher 8836a's:

Will post pics of the final products when i get them... it could be a little bit.
Old 03-08-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Good choice!

Old 03-08-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 hurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enough

I was secretly hoping you'd get #8 .. it kind of looks like a BBS RS.

Although, a bar style grille would have looked pretty cool IMO.
hurrication is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

I considered doing bar style, but I'm not a fan of the style you pictured, and better ones cost more money, and don't offer as good of protection as these will, and these give me the option to stretch some grille cloth over if I want.

And what's a bbs-rs?
Old 03-08-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 senior800 will become famous soon enoughsenior800 will become famous soon enoughsenior800 will become famous soon enoughsenior800 will become famous soon enoughsenior800 will become famous soon enoughsenior800 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to senior800

Your final design is very similar to what I made for a pair over the summer.

Great price you got them done for however! The material (aluminium) alone cost me about 5x that.

senior800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Oh ya... that looks like a cnc job. That's spendy. Looks great though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement