Tuning by Ear with specific songs for specific frequencies for specific reasons - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 92 Libertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enough

Default Tuning by Ear with specific songs for specific frequencies for specific reasons

Everyone:

I would like to gather a list of actual songs from people on here that they use to fine tune their systems. I'm hopeful, curious, and slighly optomistic people will actually share with others. For all you IASCA competitors out there....this is for the "love of the game" and I know you can do it!

If each person could write out the name of at least one song and the artist, the centered frequencies within the song that you are mostly paying attention to, the musical instrument(s) that are mostly associated to playing those frequencies within the song, and what you are trying to achieve within the song via boosts/cuts in EQ. I'll give example that i have shared with others before:

U2 : With or Without you - listening to the bass guitar at the beginning of the song. The general frequency range of the bass guitar's 4 main chords is: 73, 55, 65, 50 (+ or - a few htz either way). Basically, i try to use this track to help me get a smooth responce in the lower end of my sub-bass to mid-bass transition so that each of the 4 bass chords does not stand out more than the other and they sound (as best as possible) as if they are coming from the front of the vehicle (I know x/o's are a big part of this result, but so is the EQ).

Ok everyone.....PLEASE provide at least one example you use to tune by ear with popular music you know well. Give any details you can.

Last edited by Libertyguy20; 07-23-2012 at 01:53 PM..
Libertyguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 bmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Tuning by Ear with specific songs for specific frequencies for specific reasons

I'm sure some of the phrasing is off but I hope I get the point across. Pretty inexperienced with "tuning" for a purpose

Puscifer-Monsoons I use this for stage placement. When the vocals begin, there is sort of an electronic percussion that is fairly high-freq (I'm going to guess 6-9khz) that seems to "bounce" back and forth. If I can play that and still feel that my height and center are where they need to be, I'm pretty happy. If you have it right, it's one of those 30-45 second where you just close your eyes and smile.

2014 CAMRY XLE - iPad Pro -- Helix DSP Pro -- Zed Audio Leviathan -- SI BM65 mkii -- Scanspeak 10f/8424G -- d3004/6020 // Zed Audio Leviathan -- (2) Sundown SD-3 10d2
bmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 92 Libertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enoughLibertyguy20 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Tuning by Ear with specific songs for specific frequencies for specific reasons

Great example keep em coming everyone!

I hope to get a lot of homework from this thread and I hope all of you do too

Old 07-23-2012   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 jcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nice

Bikinpunk started a thread calked "liner notes" that kinda crapped out after a bit.
Very similar to what your looking for, specific songs and where stuff should be/ sound like.

Had a few examples in there...

08 Chevy Silverado ccsb >>>Pioneer DEX-P99RS>>>JL HD600/4×2, JL HD1200/1>>>Rainbow cal28>>>Pioneer ts-s062prs>>> Rainbow w175 platinum>>>JL zr800>>>Diyma R12 ×4 sealed>>> lots of Second skin, Raamaudio, and knuconcepts
jcollin76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 108 asota is on a distinguished roadasota is on a distinguished road

To start off for me I use the narrators voice on the Meca SQ disk. If you make this sound natural you are off to a good start. If he sounds growly and nasal pulling you down to mid-bass's, your mid-bass's are to hot in the 125-250 range. If he has to much sibilance try backing 6k-8k off a bit. If he sounds irritatingly loud in his peak passages the entire mid-range may a bit hot or you can try backing 4k off a bit.
asota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 326 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Rage Against The Machine - Take The Power Back:

Use this to set time alignment between subs/mids. Drums in the beginning should sound like they are deep infront of you, low center. Great for testing midrange width with the guitars, also in the beginning. Vocals should be dead center, slightly damped. Guitars should sound slightly louder than vocals, the focus of the guitars should be as wide on both side as possible. 3/4 into the song, when he sings without any instruments playing you should be hearing an "airy" sound with really great depth, otherwise upper midrange L-R might be messed up. Too laid back vocals and you wanna increase 250-500Hz area. Great recording overall.

One other I use to play is; Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok. Should have really nice midbass impact and dead center vocal when Murray sings. One other I play is Seabound - Avalost. The electronic background sounds have this 5.1 awesome feeling. Try them out^^

**Should be noted that I always measure first, then use good recordings like these ones to fine tune settings. I only adjust around 1dB +/- after the measurement. Equal freq response between left-right is much more important than overall FR imo. I try not to boost any frequencies at all, most likely any dips in FR is the cause of modes or resonances which cannot the fixed with EQ boosts.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 226 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyguy20 View Post
Everyone:

I would like to gather a list of actual songs from people on here that they use to fine tune their systems. I'm hopeful, curious, and slighly optomistic people will actually share with others. For all you IASCA competitors out there....this is for the "love of the game" and I know you can do it!

If each person could write out the name of at least one song and the artist, the centered frequencies within the song that you are mostly paying attention to, the musical instrument(s) that are mostly associated to playing those frequencies within the song, and what you are trying to achieve within the song via boosts/cuts in EQ. I'll give example that i have shared with others before:

U2 : With or Without you - listening to the bass guitar at the beginning of the song. The general frequency range of the bass guitar's 4 main chords is: 73, 55, 65, 50 (+ or - a few htz either way). Basically, i try to use this track to help me get a smooth responce in the lower end of my sub-bass to mid-bass transition so that each of the 4 bass chords does not stand out more than the other and they sound (as best as possible) as if they are coming from the front of the vehicle (I know x/o's are a big part of this result, but so is the EQ).

Ok everyone.....PLEASE provide at least one example you use to tune by ear with popular music you know well. Give any details you can.

I use unprocessed human voice mostly. Basically for a 'sanity check' to be sure that there isn't anything obviously wired up wrong. Play it in mono and stick your head in between the speakers, if the image is diffuse than something is wired out of phase...

I used to test speakers with music, but found that music can be pretty deceptive, because so much of it is recorded terribly.

You can find problems with a quickness using a Dayton WT2 and a copy of Arta.

The speaker designer John Dunlavy didn't really use music at all for his speaker evaluations. Snell had a similar ethos. Beethoven was deaf.

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 BurnOut956 will become famous soon enoughBurnOut956 will become famous soon enoughBurnOut956 will become famous soon enoughBurnOut956 will become famous soon enoughBurnOut956 will become famous soon enoughBurnOut956 will become famous soon enough

Is this it? https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ner-notes.html
BurnOut956 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 jcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnOut956 View Post
Yup, that's the one.

08 Chevy Silverado ccsb >>>Pioneer DEX-P99RS>>>JL HD600/4×2, JL HD1200/1>>>Rainbow cal28>>>Pioneer ts-s062prs>>> Rainbow w175 platinum>>>JL zr800>>>Diyma R12 ×4 sealed>>> lots of Second skin, Raamaudio, and knuconcepts
jcollin76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Great link. Keep em coming.

So Patrick to asses a system (from what I read on your signature, its been many) you don't listen to reference music or any music you know well? Just recordings of the human voice?
Old 07-24-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 xBlitzkriegx will become famous soon enoughxBlitzkriegx will become famous soon enoughxBlitzkriegx will become famous soon enoughxBlitzkriegx will become famous soon enoughxBlitzkriegx will become famous soon enoughxBlitzkriegx will become famous soon enough

i like Eulogy by Tool. recorded well imo and has a good dynamic range.
xBlitzkriegx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement