Powering mini dsp - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 92 bigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished road

Default Powering mini dsp

I just got my mini dsp. It has power and ground inputs. I can only assume it may only turn on if senses signal. Not sure. I have a decontrol battery I was going to hook power to but I was wondering if I could just power it from my remote turn on relay. And thoughts?

2012 toyota 4runner- 2013 USACI mod SQ+ 2nd place and spl world record. 2003 Lexus sc- 2014 USACI National Points leader, MECA state point leader, Am1SQ+ 3rd palce and spl world record.
bigfastmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 234 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

Default Re: Powering mini dsp

the minidsp have +12v, gnd and remote turn on, just like any device. do NOT power it with your remote from your HU, it will burn it up.

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2014 Tacoma, Stock HU |AC LC2i | Dayton 408 DSP | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> Silver Flute 8" | -> JL 300/2 -> Vifa XT25 | JL 500/1 -> 12" ID IDQ
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 92 bigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished road

Mine has no remote input. It's the dsp in a box. Maybe different.

2012 toyota 4runner- 2013 USACI mod SQ+ 2nd place and spl world record. 2003 Lexus sc- 2014 USACI National Points leader, MECA state point leader, Am1SQ+ 3rd palce and spl world record.

Old 10-16-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

Rep Power: 165 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
the minidsp have +12v, gnd and remote turn on, just like any device. do NOT power it with your remote from your HU, it will burn it up.
Not all of them have remote turn on. I used a 9V battery when I ran it (ghetto)
The cigarette lighter to USB adapters have been used before as well.

NCSQ
Notloudenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 125 analogrocker will become famous soon enoughanalogrocker will become famous soon enoughanalogrocker will become famous soon enoughanalogrocker will become famous soon enoughanalogrocker will become famous soon enoughanalogrocker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
the minidsp have +12v, gnd and remote turn on, just like any device.
Mine didn't have a remote turn-on input. I had the 2x4. I had to use the miniDC Isolator for remote turn-on.
analogrocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 234 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

sorry, was looking at the 2x8/8x8 manual, he didnt specifiy.

you are right, with the 2x4 you can power it 12VDC, but put a relay between the HU RTO lead or use the isolation power supply as analogrocker mentioned.

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2014 Tacoma, Stock HU |AC LC2i | Dayton 408 DSP | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> Silver Flute 8" | -> JL 300/2 -> Vifa XT25 | JL 500/1 -> 12" ID IDQ
Old 10-16-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Ok. I'm already using a rto relay for my amps. I wasn't sure if it would cause noise or any type of feedback. Not sure how it could burn the unit up.

Old 10-16-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfastmike View Post
Ok. I'm already using a rto relay for my amps. I wasn't sure if it would cause noise or any type of feedback. Not sure how it could burn the unit up.
lol, I guess I have not been clear all the way around, lol.

I meant if you tried to power the minidsp with the HU RTO it would burn up the RTO on the HU. it would draw more current than the RTO could provide.

if you have already put a relay to switch the RTO signal, you are good to go.

only concern will be turn-on/off thumps since it will turn on/off at the same time as the amplifiers.

that is one place where the iso-power supply would be of help, I beelive it has a turn-on/off delay biult in.

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

Old 10-16-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

That was going to be my next question. Wasn't sure if that DC isolator had delay. I bought my dsp off caco unused the other day not had time to research everything yet.

Old 10-16-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Well... found out it does have delay. Guess I'll be ordering the DC isolator.

Old 10-16-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 125 analogrocker will become famous soon enoughanalogrocker will become famous soon enoughanalogrocker will become famous soon enoughanalogrocker will become famous soon enoughanalogrocker will become famous soon enoughanalogrocker will become famous soon enough

How the DC Isolator works is like this:

The miniDSPs are turned on immediately.
Then there's a 3 second delay before turning on the amplifiers.

When shutting down the gear, the amplifiers turn off first, followed by the miniDSPs 3 seconds later.
Old 10-17-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

I hooked it up to relay. No on or off pop but do have alternator whine. Bummer

Old 10-17-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfastmike View Post
I hooked it up to relay. No on or off pop but do have alternator whine. Bummer
Common problem with the miniDSP when used in a vehicle. miniDC Isolator will solve that issue as well.

Or.. you could DIY by using one of these:

1205S DC-DC 5V(2Watt) Isolated Power Module. Ideal for 12V system

Instructions how to wire it up are here:

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...9-post251.html
Old 10-17-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

I went ahead and ordered the isolator. Just have to wait. I shoulda known I'd need it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement