memory foam used as acoustic treatment? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 181 DonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DonutHands

Default memory foam used as acoustic treatment?

just curious if anyone has used this stuff in any way in an installation. what would it be good for?

just curious as it can be found for pretty cheap these days.

2001 Audi S4
with speakers
DonutHands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 205 FoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: memory foam used as acoustic treatment?

I haven't, but it sounds interesting.

How thick is it?

What exactly is the material used? Open cell? Closed cell?

Link?
FoxPro5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007   #3

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 251 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Isn't that what those special pillows on TV are made of? Like a dense sponge.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 159 pontiacbird will become famous soon enoughpontiacbird will become famous soon enoughpontiacbird will become famous soon enoughpontiacbird will become famous soon enoughpontiacbird will become famous soon enoughpontiacbird will become famous soon enough

I think it would be ideal for inside your door panel, door card whatever......helps take the shape of the panel so you don't have to stuff more here or there....

on the otherhand, i wouldn't think of it being as dense as the alternative, which may make it less effective

I'm back in the game!!!!!!

Reg - 96!!! ; BEC- 80 ; FARE - 85!!; Audit - 91!!
pontiacbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 Kuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacbird View Post
I think it would be ideal for inside your door panel, door card whatever......helps take the shape of the panel so you don't have to stuff more here or there....

on the otherhand, i wouldn't think of it being as dense as the alternative, which may make it less effective
IIRC it's extremely dense, more so than typical closed cell. As far as betwen door panels/inner doors, I would be concerned that since it takes shape that it may not have a very significant "spring back", which is needed to reduce vibrations...not as much as closed cell foam anyway. I would think it would be great for lining areas such as inner quarter panels and/or truck rear cab walls.

'88 GMC Sierra: Alpine CDA-9813~Kenwood KAC728~PG Ryval V754~Dayton RS225~SEAS ER18RNX~Dayton RS28
Kuztimrodder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 159 pontiacbird will become famous soon enoughpontiacbird will become famous soon enoughpontiacbird will become famous soon enoughpontiacbird will become famous soon enoughpontiacbird will become famous soon enoughpontiacbird will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuztimrodder View Post
IIRC it's extremely dense, more so than typical closed cell. As far as betwen door panels/inner doors, I would be concerned that since it takes shape that it may not have a very significant "spring back", which is needed to reduce vibrations...not as much as closed cell foam anyway. I would think it would be great for lining areas such as inner quarter panels and/or truck rear cab walls.
thanks for the clarification

but would the lack of 'springback' play that much of a difference in reducing vibrations (or not reducing in this case)??

certainly the combination of memory foam + ensolite, I think would make this quite effective for reducing midbass vibrations in the door panel

I'm back in the game!!!!!!

Reg - 96!!! ; BEC- 80 ; FARE - 85!!; Audit - 91!!
pontiacbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 xcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to xcoldricex

if you've ever had any memory foam you'd know that it's not going to conform and stay that way unless you have weight on it all the time.

and the shit is dense as hell.
xcoldricex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 Kuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacbird View Post
thanks for the clarification

but would the lack of 'springback' play that much of a difference in reducing vibrations (or not reducing in this case)??

certainly the combination of memory foam + ensolite, I think would make this quite effective for reducing midbass vibrations in the door panel
I'm just assuming here. I've never tried it. IME, when using foam for this purpose, panel vibrations are reduced by means of constant tension along with the sound absorbing charactoristics of closed cell. It's been a while since I had my hands on memory foam so it would be kool if someone could chime in and compare the expanding force between the two. By the way, the closed cell foam I'm used to is the type used in upholstery. Its pretty stiff.

'88 GMC Sierra: Alpine CDA-9813~Kenwood KAC728~PG Ryval V754~Dayton RS225~SEAS ER18RNX~Dayton RS28
Kuztimrodder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 181 DonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DonutHands

im wondering what the puropse of this foam would be,
deadening? probably not, mass loading works best for this
vibration reduction?
sound absorption?
sealing? is it dense enough? is it closed cell, i would imagine so.

2001 Audi S4
with speakers
DonutHands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 biggerrigger will become famous soon enoughbiggerrigger will become famous soon enoughbiggerrigger will become famous soon enoughbiggerrigger will become famous soon enoughbiggerrigger will become famous soon enoughbiggerrigger will become famous soon enough

I bought the wife a 3in matress topper of this memory foam for a queen sized guest bed and no joke the thing weighed at least 50lbs. I bought it from Sams club. They had a display at the store that you could squish to see what it does. Go lift one of the boxes and you will see what I am talking about this stuff has some major mass to it. Thats not packaging weight thats the foam. IIRC It is a closed cell foam product but you would have a hell of a time to get this to stick to a vertical panel due to its weight. It would however make the ultimate under carpet deadener in the 1.5in model.
Aaron
biggerrigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 159 nauc will become famous soon enoughnauc will become famous soon enoughnauc will become famous soon enoughnauc will become famous soon enoughnauc will become famous soon enoughnauc will become famous soon enough

it should work fine between your door skin and door

just put a crap load in there, and snap your door skin back on, cant go anywhere

but better make sure theres no leaks where water can get in

might be hard to glue it to your trunk walls/lid

Alpine 9887, Cadence TXA-1502, Oz ME 180CS, Cadence TXA-1000d, 12" RE SE
nauc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement