Jazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Wave Shepherd

Rep Power: 276 Justin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond repute

Arrow Jazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

Note: See the link in my signature to download the latest version of this tool.

This spreadsheet has been a lot of fun to make! My goal is to take as much guesswork out of the tuning and installation process as possible. With this tool, you can calculate a safe high-pass crossover point for your midbass and midrange speakers, then plug those numbers into the next sheet where you choose what frequency response curve you want your overall system to have, and the tool will generate a set of custom house curve files tailored for each of your speakers. Import those directly into Room EQ Wizard and use the EQ module to find the filters for your DSP.

If you use the next sheet to calculate time delay settings for all of your speakers, and you get them to match the house curves exported from earlier, then your tuning is mostly done! I recommend spending some more time with 31-band pink noise tracks to get the center image perfectly centered, and you can download some ones I made from my dropbox at this link:

-----> 31-band pink noise tracks <-----

A bonus feature I included is an interactive chart to help you choose which size power wire and fuse for your amplifiers. The sheet will take into account the efficiency of your amplifier (effecting how much power it will need to be supplied with) as well as the condition of your car (engine on or off) and you can choose how much of a voltage drop is acceptable to you. Lastly, measure about how long the power wire needs to be and then you will see which size wire and fuse you will need. A ton of research went into this particular sheet, and I'm looking forward to everyone's feedback.

There is an included read-me with instructions for each section with some hints and cautions.

Like I mention in the included read-me, please let me know if this is useful for you and if you would like me to build more features into this spreadsheet.

Here are some screenshots:

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard (help you tune a dsp)
Master's Degree in Acoustics at Penn State (10% complete)

Last edited by cobb2819; 05-06-2016 at 09:24 AM..
Justin Zazzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Justin Zazzi For This Useful Post:
Alain93 (02-28-2019), Babs (12-27-2017), brewmastr (05-06-2017), cbrandonb (11-02-2018), Chris12 (02-06-2019), jinoizz (10-12-2018), JRace (02-07-2018), Mohito (08-01-2018), POLKAT (07-04-2018), street.terror (04-22-2017), tjk_bail (12-21-2017), Truthunter (05-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 579 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Jazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

This is pretty cool. Thanks!
Andy Wehmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2015   #3

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,076 Times in 509 Posts
Rep Power: 26017 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

With the crossover curve builder, is that easily adjustable in dB/frequency? I can't open it from work.

If so, this is exactly the thing I've been looking for. I've resorted to building my own in excel but nothing on this level that allows on the fly adjustments. Much appreciated.

Edit: read your description again. Looks like it's not exactly what I thought but it still will do the job. Kudos!

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

I want to test this out ASAP.

I have been thus far using a house curve in REW and using the native Target Settings for a 24 dB slope crossover. But that crossover in REW is butterworth not LR.

I also tried using RePhase to generate target curves for LR24 slopes but that didn't work either.

Lastly, I tried using the ACD spreadsheets but they are incredibly complicated to use so I didn't get very far.

I'll check your spreadsheets out soon and report back.
Thanks for your efforts thus far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2015   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 SQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enough

Really helpful tool Jazzi, thanks for putting it up here!
SQram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2015   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 SQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enoughSQram will become famous soon enough

Can't export the JBL curve, all the others seem to work. Tried on two different computers.
SQram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2015   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Wave Shepherd

Rep Power: 276 Justin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQram View Post
Can't export the JBL curve, all the others seem to work. Tried on two different computers.
Found the problem, will update with a fix a little bit later tonight.
Thank you for pointing this out!

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
Old 07-30-2015   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Wave Shepherd

Beta version 2 has been uploaded.

-Fixed the text file export of the JBL/Andy curve
-Added more flexibility:
-Now you can select different crossover frequencies for your highpass and lowpass
-Now you can select between either a 12dB/octave Butterworth or a 24dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley crossover
-Cleaned up the interface a bunch, hid a lot of the background work

Future plans:
-If you can help me find the equations/formulas, I will add more options for crossover types such as Bessel, Chebychev, etc
-I would like to add a sheet to help you with time delay settings
-I would like to add more pictures and better instructions on how to use these text files within REW

Old 07-30-2015   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 SPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura about

Yes!!! I've been creating my own curves by manually creating a text file to align with my specific needs. I can't wait to give it a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion525iT View Post
Beyond the technical aspects, there are things with which only the individual can find value, regardless of outcome. There are some things to which the process has more value than the end result .
SPLEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2015   #10

Rep Power: 55 Spud100 will become famous soon enoughSpud100 will become famous soon enoughSpud100 will become famous soon enoughSpud100 will become famous soon enoughSpud100 will become famous soon enoughSpud100 will become famous soon enough

Smile Re: Jazzi's tuning companion for room eq wizard

Great Idea,
However one small problem. What is the worksheet unprotect code so we can enter our own individual crossover frequencies.
Gerry
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2015   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

Just loaded up your spreadsheets. This looks really great! You've done a very good job.

Very simple and intuitive layout. You made this so easy to follow. I have tried using the ACD spreadsheets in the past, and those are so complicated that I could never figure them out. And I always thought I was good with spreadsheets.

As I mentioned above, you are meeting a need which I have hoped to see met for a long time. REW has crossover settings available but they are only Butterworth 12 or 24 dB slopes. I prefer Linkwitz so I have been trying to find a way to get a downward sloping house curve with LR24 slopes for the crossovers. Your spreadsheet does exactly that. Very cool.

I have not been able to change the Frequency settings because those cells are protected by a password. Can you unprotect those cells for user input? I would like to try this out with my car, but I need to change the Frequency settings first.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 07-31-2015   #12

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,076 Times in 509 Posts
Rep Power: 26017 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
[SIZE="5"]-I would like to add a sheet to help you with time delay settings
-I would like to add more pictures and better instructions on how to use these text files within REW
If you're interested, I can send over the excel file I made that was used to build this site:

You can just incorporate that in to your sheet. It would save you a lot of time. I even made one with temperature/humidity considerations.

LMK if you're interested and I'll send it on over.

- Erin

Time Delay Calculator:
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2015   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
If you're interested, I can send over the excel file I made that was used to build this site:

You can just incorporate that in to your sheet. It would save you a lot of time. I even made one with temperature/humidity considerations.

- Erin

Need air pressure, too. Erin you slacker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 07-31-2015   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Vaani Acoustics
Position:
Founder/Engineer

Rep Power: 128 piyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enough

Great work. Going to try this tomorrow. It will great help

Sent from my X9076 using Tapatalk
piyush7243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2015   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 368 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, Jazzi! Thanks for all your work putting this together and for making it public.
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2015   #16

Rep Power: 88 Kevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enough

Nice. Thanks.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2015   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Wave Shepherd

Oops! I forgot about the locked cells, that is fixed now. Sorry!

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post

- Erin
Erin, that would be great, and save a lot of time indeed. Thank you for your offer.

Old 08-01-2015   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 SPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura aboutSPLEclipse has a spectacular aura about

Crossover point changes are working with the new link. Thanks Jazzi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion525iT View Post
Beyond the technical aspects, there are things with which only the individual can find value, regardless of outcome. There are some things to which the process has more value than the end result .
SPLEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2015   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 174 shinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enough

Pretty freakin' cool. Nice work!

shinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2015   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 102 Beckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enough

Dude your a bloody god send....

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."

-Ronald Reagan-
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2015   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

More review:

I used the spreadsheet for a tuning session a few days ago.

It took me a couple of tries to get the export to work. FYI - Mac users, the spreadsheet will open on Office for Mac, but I don't think the export was working. So I opened it with Office on Parallels and it worked fine. No big deal.

I used a custom house curve by entering data on the right side column. It might be a nice addition if the frequencies on the custom column were also adjustable.

Just a note on REW house curves. When you load up these crossover curves, make sure you go into EQ section, then Target Settings and set "Speaker Type" to "None." The reason why is because these curves that the spreadsheet is generating already have crossover slopes applied. You want to disable the additional slopes added by REW.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 08-06-2015   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 336 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a awesome tool! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
MontiCar Roermond NL
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 111 Woosey will become famous soon enoughWoosey will become famous soon enoughWoosey will become famous soon enoughWoosey will become famous soon enoughWoosey will become famous soon enoughWoosey will become famous soon enough

Thank you so much!!!! this is exactly what I was looking for!!

Big up to you!!

Never say Ooops... Always say, Aahh Interesting....
Mazda MX-5 10th AE, Pioneer P99, Mosconi AS100.4, Mosconi One60.4, Gladen SQX08, Exact! M182W, Exact! En50B4, Exact! HX22TG, Silent Coat
Woosey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Wave Shepherd

I'm glad you enjoy it, and a big thank you to everyone for your feedback.

School has started again so I don't have as much time to put into this project as I wanted to, but perhaps I'll make some more progress again one day.

Old 09-02-2015   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,149 Posts
Rep Power: 449 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

i just got rew up and running. im going to have to try this.

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement