4-way front stage or 3-way front and 2-way sub stage - can this be pulled off? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 339 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

Default 4-way front stage or 3-way front and 2-way sub stage - can this be pulled off?

I was just curious.....I have a 3-way front stage, (or you could call it more of a 2-way front plus 2-way sub stage, based on my x-over points). I am happy with everything, just curious about a couple of options.

My current setup is Sinfoni T25T (Maestoso) Tweeters in the sails, Dynaudio 15w38 (5.75") midrange in the kicks and Dynaudio 650 Midbass in the doors. The crossover points are 3.2k/125hz

What if I add a small midrange up high on the dash, then technically I would have a 4-way front stage? Is this even possible to tune correctly? I'm just thinking that if I added a small midrange, then I could further reduce beaming and distortion.

My other thought is to change the midbass to a single 8" mono midbass in a sealed enclosure under the dash firing down on the drivers side, playing up to 125hz.

Thoughts of either idea or a combination of both ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 161 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 4-way front stage or 3-way front and 2-way sub stage - can this be pulled off?

to me, you are not using the 650s in any way they were designed to, they are an ok midbass, and a supurb midrange. the drivers you have in kicks are a very capable midrange too

I'd move the 650s into the kicks and do your mono eight idea, play with xover points and run the 650s up to 2.5 k or so.
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2015   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 339 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: 4-way front stage or 3-way front and 2-way sub stage - can this be pulled off?

Yeah, I know the 650's are being severely under utilized. I have considered that as an option. I am also looking into other possible midbass instead of the 650's, although I have VERY little depth in the doors. I may have to test the 650's in the kicks or possible get a set of the Sinfoni Maestoso 6.5" for the kicks.

Quote:
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.

Old 10-05-2015   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 161 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

you could also do your small midrange idea, and then run the 650s up higher to gain some better use out of them.
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015   #5

Rep Power: 79 truckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enough

The only other shallow mid I can think of this the TM65 that might help match up with the 3 AF 10s you got in there now. I think the Mchenko guy mentioned in a thread he could make a shallow mid with an xmax of 13mm if there was enough interest. Not sure if he had any takers as the price tag was around $400 per speaker. I can't remember for sure though. It seems like people who have bought his gear seem pretty happy with it.

I think a combo with the T25T tweeters, a midrange on the dash, 650's in the kick and 8 inch sub in the footwell would be pretty interesting. I know the 650's are installed extremely well in your doors so that's not an issue.

After my TM65s get delivered I plan to put them in right away if you ever want to give them a listen.
truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015   #6

Rep Power: 68 maggie-g will become famous soon enoughmaggie-g will become famous soon enoughmaggie-g will become famous soon enoughmaggie-g will become famous soon enoughmaggie-g will become famous soon enoughmaggie-g will become famous soon enough

so many stages lol

maggie-g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015   #7

Rep Power: 67 bugsplat will become famous soon enoughbugsplat will become famous soon enoughbugsplat will become famous soon enoughbugsplat will become famous soon enoughbugsplat will become famous soon enoughbugsplat will become famous soon enough

I can't speak for your setup but I have had drivers that played poorly when I tried to hold them down. They sounded much better with a wider range. Surprised me for sure. More speakers don't always mean better.
bugsplat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015   #8

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 98 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
I was just curious.....I have a 3-way front stage, (or you could call it more of a 2-way front plus 2-way sub stage, based on my x-over points). I am happy with everything, just curious about a couple of options.

My current setup is Sinfoni T25T (Maestoso) Tweeters in the sails, Dynaudio 15w38 (5.75") midrange in the kicks and Dynaudio 650 Midbass in the doors. The crossover points are 3.2k/125hz

What if I add a small midrange up high on the dash, then technically I would have a 4-way front stage? Is this even possible to tune correctly? I'm just thinking that if I added a small midrange, then I could further reduce beaming and distortion.

My other thought is to change the midbass to a single 8" mono midbass in a sealed enclosure under the dash firing down on the drivers side, playing up to 125hz.

I running a 5way and absolutely love it. Have a two way sub just like you said , a 15" in a 6th order that sounds killer , and two dyn 8s up front in sealed boxes, 15" plays to 50hz and 8s play to 100hz , than I have 6.5s that play 100 to 315, than some 8" midranges that play from 315 to 1k and than horns that play 1k up.

One could easily replace horns for tweeters and have a midrange that plays up to 3k or so.

I know a lot could be done with less, but it is sick Nd I reccomebd it if your willing to make some imaging sacrifices for pure bad ass high volume Claritiy that dosent stop

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 184 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't run a 5.25" midrange in the kick, and a 3-4" mid on the dash. Timing the speakers is only one part of the story, but what you wont be able to control is a large band pass of frequencies hitting your ears at different azimuth angles. This will impact the clarity of the imaging, it will be a lot fuzzier than it should be and no amount of eq or TA is going to cure it.

We can tell 'higher / lower' beyond ~ 800-1 khz. Let's assume for a minute that you run the mids say 500-4 khz with the 5.25 in kicks and a 3" on the dash / pillars. Now you're hearing 2 octaves (1-4khz) with very different azimuth angles. It is going to diffuse the location of sound in this region.

Imho, You're better off mounting a 3-4" mid up top and using the 650 as dedicated midbass. I would stay away from a mono mid bass, but that's just me.

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
sqnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 92 CoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post

I'd advise against both, why don't you go with the Esotar 430 midrange in the kicks. It won't beam as early as the 5.75 inch driver therefore you won't even need to have an extra driver up there in the dash. Apart from the usual tuning hassle with a 3 way front stage you will need more processing power due to the extra drivers,that's 10 channels so I'd rather keep it simple.

Sent from my One Plus One using Tapatalk

CoLd_FuSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Good things to think of, thanks guys. I do have the 5" on axis, like truly on axis, so I am probably okay with beaming from the drivers side 5", but I know the passenger side is beaming from the drivers seat.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement