So I just finished buying the last part of my stereo - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 201 Thumper26 will become famous soon enoughThumper26 will become famous soon enoughThumper26 will become famous soon enoughThumper26 will become famous soon enoughThumper26 will become famous soon enoughThumper26 will become famous soon enough

Default So I just finished buying the last part of my stereo

I feel sick. I've never dropped this much money on car audio at one time in my life, and I feel a little lightheaded. For those that haven't seen, here's the system diagram:

Install will technically start next week when I pay the local shop to run techflexed 16 gauge wire through the pain in the ass molex connectors in the door. For me, it's worth it to have them knock that out for me.

I'm going to take over my friend's garage over the Thanksgiving holiday and deaden the floor pan, roof, trunk, and rear deck with 160 square feet of Raammat BXT and ensolite. While the car is apart, I'm going to run and anchor all the wires and install the x001. Later, I'll tackle the doors individually, but I'll have to do the baffles for the mids, so I want to make sure i can take my time.

Then I have to get the tweeters mounted in the a-pillars. My pillars are already covered in cloth, so i'm going to cut the plastic away from the pillar around where the tweeter goes, then mount the tweeter with straps so it just pushes on the cloth when the pillar is secured. I'll have to test and make sure the cloth is acoustically transparant...if not, i'll have to buy some, but no biggie there.

After that, it's the custom baffles in the rear deck to mount the MW190's. I have 3/8" thick fatigue mat that I'm going to use as a thick gasket to help fill all the irregularities. I'll go back over the edges with silicone as well. The baffles will be a hybrid of 13 ply birch, mdf, and 1/2" oak plywood. I figure the more conflicting resonances, the better. After baffles are set up, I'm going to carpet them, as well as the rear deck, so everything looks clean.

The amp, 701, and distro blocks will be anchored in the floor of the trunk where the rear seats fold down. I'm going to anchor a panel between the struts, secure the gear down, then build a simple cover to go over it. Heavy duty mesh will go over the opening to provide air flow.

As an aesthetic project, I bought this sign off of ebay:

and will mount it on a piece of mdf between the gaps of the rear seats. The board will fill the whole seat opening to help seal for the IB install, and will anchor to the back of the seat struts. I'm going to use white leds or a neon bar to light it. I'd like to figure a way to tint the box around 'authentic fidelity' red, but I don't think I can do it and make the logo look correct.

Anyways, that's my plan for the next few months. Maybe next year I'll consider going 3 way up front, but I'm going to see what I can do with just the 2 way set.
Thumper26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 dtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enoughdtviewer will become famous soon enough

Default Re: So I just finished buying the last part of my stereo

Congrats! Great equipment, cant wait to see the install. Couple of questions though.

Didnt you have a different HU? If so, why did you go X001? Just curious since I am still trying to decide if thats the way I want to go.

Second, could you (please) do a DIY on how you did your system diagram? I checked out the program you said you used in the other thread of yours and still didnt get it, so a simple step by step would be great! I'm sure others would love it too!!
(Maybe put it in the tutorial section?)

Thanks in advance!!
dtviewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 veloze will become famous soon enoughveloze will become famous soon enoughveloze will become famous soon enoughveloze will become famous soon enoughveloze will become famous soon enoughveloze will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to veloze

Cool Re: So I just finished buying the last part of my stereo

Nice audio system diagram. I LOVE it!!! Can't wait to see it installed in your ride. Good luck

Head Unit: Alpine IVA-W505 Processor: PXA-H701 Drivers: Phass NT25 Tweets, DM52 Mids, MD1076 Mid-bass, SW1025 Subwoofer Amplifiers: DLS Ultimate A2, A4, JL Audio HD750/1
veloze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 177 skibum will become famous soon enoughskibum will become famous soon enoughskibum will become famous soon enoughskibum will become famous soon enoughskibum will become famous soon enoughskibum will become famous soon enough

Hope it all goes well with the install. Post plenty of pics and reviews.

16 silverado ltz z71 all stock
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 johnson will become famous soon enoughjohnson will become famous soon enoughjohnson will become famous soon enoughjohnson will become famous soon enoughjohnson will become famous soon enoughjohnson will become famous soon enough

1. Open up MSPaint
2. Go to Image > Attributes
3. Make it any size you want (the larger the better)
4. Copy and paste the pictures you have and move as you like
5. Save as png.

*under construction*
clarion dxz785usb .:. zuki eleets .:. fountek fr88-ex .:. peerless sls 6.5" .:. sub amp? .:. si mag v4
johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 jayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enough

what program did you use to make that diagram? any chance I can get you to do one for me?

2012 Armada
HU: Ipad mini, Amps: Brax, Speakers: Dyn Esotar2 Sub: Dyn Esaotar 1200, Processor: Zapco DSP Z8
jayhawkblk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 198 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

You can do that in Paint.

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 317 Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond repute

Dam doood, it's a hard knock life for you....!!!!! Lol.... I'll be waiting egarly to see this one started...!!!! Dyns are my goal in life, not quite there "yet"

Quote:
The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections. - Narrator: Idiocracy
Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007   #9

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,518 Times in 666 Posts
Rep Power: 26023 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

J,
I tell you what man. Get me the ID & OD of those speakers and I'll ask my machinist if he can cut me some out of 3/8" cutting board. I can't guarantee anything since it's short notice, but I'll at least ask.

Edit: They're the same ones I have. I can get the dims myself. He's left for the day, but I'll ask tomorrow. If it's worth it to you for me to even ask, of course.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 201 Thumper26 will become famous soon enoughThumper26 will become famous soon enoughThumper26 will become famous soon enoughThumper26 will become famous soon enoughThumper26 will become famous soon enoughThumper26 will become famous soon enough

Bikinpunk, i appreciate it, but I have no clue what the whole baffle will have to look like. I'll hit you up when I get to that point.

For everyone asking about the program, that's all paint. I used the 2nd thickest line for the connections, then used the thinnest line with white to make the RCA's look like they're going under the other wires.

On the images, crutchfield can get you new pics, google images can get you others, and my Dyn pictures actually came from Dynaudio. I emailed them and they sent them.

I did at one time have a 9887, but I needed a single din optical unit, and the 9965 is overpriced, has glidetouch, and uses old gen ipod connect, so it was out. The S624 was my solution to that. Since fast ipod was my main concern (btw everything i have is ripped at 320 ), I went with the deck that specializes in it. The changer will be mounted in the glove box.

On this install, I was oficially done with settling for what I could afford at the moment, and decided to get what I wanted. On the dyn's, i wanted good midbass and something in the Dyn level of quality. In the past, I've burned myself out with always having a half finished install and never being able to just relax and listen to the damn thing. While looking for speakers, I heard several killer reviews on the Dynaudio subs, so I had already settled on that. Combine that with the relatively shallow mounting depth of the 162's and case closed.

I'm going to take tons of pics along the way, and hopefully I'll have this thing ready for the lanes this upcoming season.

I think Owen Wilson said it best when he said, "I got that excited/scared feeling. Like 98% excited, 2% scared. Or maybe it's more. It could be, it could be 98% scared, 2% excited but that's what makes it so intense, it's so - confused. I can't really figure it out..."
Old 11-14-2007   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 jearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enough

very nice. in the end you will be happy with the money you spent. processing power FTW!!!

2004 Honda Civic -> Rainbow Cal 27s, Scan Speak 12m , Thiel 9" midbass, 2x AE 15"
2x Zapco studio 300x, 2x Zapco studio 500, 2x Zapco Dsp-6 -> ALL Matt R. modified
jearhart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

thanks. i absolutely love the clean look of the Dyn subs. I think that will work well hanging from the rear deck.

Also, I've loved that Audison amp ever since I first saw it and read the specs on it.

Really the only thing i'm not 100% happy with is the deck. Hopefully Alpine will come out with something better that I can upgrade to in a year or two.
Old 11-14-2007   #13

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 26023 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper26 View Post
Bikinpunk, i appreciate it, but I have no clue what the whole baffle will have to look like. I'll hit you up when I get to that point.
I see. You're not talking about making a perfect circle baffle, rather one that has some odd shape.

If you go perfect circle (as I did) it shouldn't be any trouble to get you one made up. Just let me know.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 11-14-2007   #14

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk View Post
what program did you use to make that diagram? any chance I can get you to do one for me?
I actually prefer to use Word, then take a screen capture and save that as a .jpg.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 11-14-2007   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

...couldn't he just right click the image and save it?

jayhawkblk, pm me and i'll help you out.
Old 11-14-2007   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 172 Steak will become famous soon enoughSteak will become famous soon enoughSteak will become famous soon enoughSteak will become famous soon enoughSteak will become famous soon enoughSteak will become famous soon enough

Nice equipment!

How large of a box are you going to put those mw190s in?? how do you plan to cross them over?
Steak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

they're going IB in the rear deck. The trunk is the box. I'll start crossing them at 63Hz, and we'll go from there.
Old 11-14-2007   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 182 invecs will become famous soon enoughinvecs will become famous soon enoughinvecs will become famous soon enoughinvecs will become famous soon enoughinvecs will become famous soon enoughinvecs will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to invecs

Nice gear! Congrats.

Clarion HX-D2/Mosconi 6to8/Boston gt amps/Genesis Dual Mono/DLS Scandinavia 1/DLS R6.2 midbass/DLS Nordica 10
invecs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007   #19

Bikinpunk

Quote:
...couldn't he just right click the image and save it?

jayhawkblk, pm me and i'll help you out.
Are you talking about on word? ...

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 11-14-2007   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

k, i was confused.

you're saying you use word to arrange your images? is that so you can get them lined up better?
Old 11-14-2007   #21

Bikinpunk

Quote:
k, i was confused.

you're saying you use word to arrange your images? is that so you can get them lined up better?
Yea, word or powerpoint. Actually PPT may be a little easier because it doesn't try to make margins and all that crap.

Just copy and paste images into PPT and then draw your lines. I did mine that way once.

After you finish, just do a "print screen" and then paste that image into ms paint. Cut away what you don't want and then save it as a jpg.

It sounds like more than it really takes. It's actually quite simple.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 11-14-2007   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

lol, to me the print screen is an extra step. just do it in paint and save.
Old 11-14-2007   #23

Bikinpunk

Quote:
lol, to me the print screen is an extra step. just do it in paint and save.
I've never been good with paint.

Time Delay Calculator:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement