Advancements in 3D Printing...Mark Forged 3D printer in action - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2016   #26

Rep Power: 40 CAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Advancements in 3D Printing...Mark Forged 3D printer in action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
Nice to see some blue high end connectors for a change

Very clean and neat work, looks good.

Double filtering for the grills? or gasket for it? interesting unless the foam was under the tweeters.

I like the blue connectors. Someone told me about the EC3 connectors on here and I bought them. A great idea. Very solid.

The speaker grills on top of the dash for the tweeters originally had what looked to be speaker foam / open cell foam on the inside of the grill. This material had deteriorated slightly and was brittle. So rather than to remove it (I believe it has some UV shielding capability) I elected to replace it with black UV treated speaker grill cloth (mostly as a sun shield and barrier) for the Scan-Speak dome tweeters). The mesh protective dome on the Scan-Speak tweeters is removable and I do plan on removing it due to a slight clearance issue with the tweeter (when mounted) and the speaker grill when it is in place on top of the dash. I used Mellotone fabric (Parts-Express and Amazon) both sell it because of its high quality and UV rating. I compared it to Stinger black grill cloth (which was also very nice) but the Mellotone cloth won my informal competition.
CAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2016   #27

Rep Power: 40 CAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knever3 View Post
I love 3d printing and I think for a complex part they are the best way to go. The parts are cheap, but knowing how to program the printer seems like the hard part.

Props to the OP, beautiful work keep it up!! I would love to have parts made this way. I am on board 100%, I would love to have that talent. Put it this way, would you rather have the tools to create something with a router and such, or a skill set that would include AutoCAD or other computer programming and let the printer do the work overnight while you slept?

Thank you. You should learn Solidworks...That is the key.
Old 10-25-2016   #28

Rep Power: 84 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAudio View Post
Thank you. You should learn Solidworks...That is the key.
But how much is Solidworks? I just started learning Fusion 360 to use with my 5'x10' CNC router and it is free unless you are a large company and can be used with 3D printers too. However, as capable as a Fusion 360 is, I'm sure it isn't as polished and capable as Solidworks since one has been out for so long and the other is pretty new. But free sounds good to me.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016   #29

You may be able to get a student copy of Solidworks (not sure) but you need to use something that is an industry standard and, to me, Solidworks is what industry uses.
Old 10-25-2016   #30

Rep Power: 84 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAudio View Post
You may be able to get a student copy of Solidworks (not sure) but you need to use something that is an industry standard and, to me, Solidworks is what industry uses.
I hear what you're saying but the industry is moving faster and if Solidworks sticks to a $4000+ license plus $1000+ annual fee, there will be other options sooner than later. Autodesk Fusion 360 is already making some headway in the market, not that I expect them to overtake Solidworks anytime soon.

And as a small business, no way can or will I invest that much for Solidworks and yet I'll still be able to make other things work just fine.

Glad you have learned the industry standard and have access to a license, not to mention a very nice 3D printer. Great stuff and thanks for sharing!
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2016   #31

Then maybe you should look at CLOUD-CAD with something like Onshape.com
I think that may be the best solution.
Old 10-25-2016   #32

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Manic1! is on a distinguished roadManic1! is on a distinguished roadManic1! is on a distinguished roadManic1! is on a distinguished road

Openscad is free and thats what I use for 3D printing. Tinkercad is also free and is made by Autodesk the makers of Autocad. Sketchup also works. Anything that can export to the STL file format will work.

I like Openscad because it's programing based.
Manic1! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2016   #33

I used #5 x 1/2 inch panhead stainless steel screws to mount the tweeters to the 3D printed mounting cups/baffles.

Next, making baffles and pigtails for the Scan-Speak Silver Midrange drivers, 10 Centimeter model:

Stealth-Mounting the Remote Control for the Mini-DSP C-DSP.

Techflex, then electrical tape over the ends of the techflex + heat shrink for the RJ11 cable.

I found the perfect place to hide the C-DSP remote control...in a plastic tray to the right of the center console/dash in the G-Class. It was literally an interference fit when I test fit it. As if it belonged there. I did not want to mount the remote control even with the face of the tray or "proud" of the face of the tray...I wanted to recess it so it would be hidden from view. I believe in "stealth" installs and that is sort of my style.

Last edited by CAudio; 10-28-2016 at 07:36 AM..
Old 10-27-2016   #34

I stripped the C-DSP controller down and removed the back plate. I used a center drill to find center and then picked a slight offset from center to angle the controller to the driver ever so slightly...
On the milling machine...

Getting ready to tap for a 6-32 machine screw to secure the C-DSP controller to the inside bottom surface of the tray.

Scribing my "center" for drilling into the ABS plastic tray...

Here we go...drilling the hole for the 6-32 machine screw (this is going through the bottom of the tray and the machine screw will then mount and hold the C-DSP controller on the bottom of the controller...

Last edited by CAudio; 10-27-2016 at 04:27 PM..
Old 10-27-2016   #35

I used a four-flute end mill and machined a notch into the side of the tray to accept the RJ11 cable.

And here it is finished...there is a 6-32 machine screw (you can't see it) on the bottom of the black ABS plastic tray which goes through the tray and into the base plate on the C-DSP remote control.

Here it is, installed.

Last edited by CAudio; 10-28-2016 at 09:18 AM..
Old 10-29-2016   #36

Rep Power: 42 Ride154 will become famous soon enoughRide154 will become famous soon enoughRide154 will become famous soon enoughRide154 will become famous soon enoughRide154 will become famous soon enoughRide154 will become famous soon enough

Hi Guys,

At the moment I'm building speaker pods for a mid and a tweet in the sailpanel. I'm using the free version of Sketchup and we have a Ultimaker 2 at our disposal.

From the first 'prototype'

To the second

And third

(Hmmm ? Wierd how this works with pics on an iphone)

And yesterday started printing the final version in 4 pieces. I have to agree with Onyx90210. Drawing, printing and fitting this took me weeks and weeks of free time at my shop and you probably could make this faster by hand. But for me it was the learning experience of drawing and the 'product' development and finally the printing. A lot of prints failed and a lot of time went it to managing the print etcetc. But now I have the model I can reproduce them for everyone with a 2005 model Suzuki Swift ? . The last model takes 24 hours to print in 4 pieces. But to say this is the future is way to soon in the development in 3d printers. I still like where this is going tho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6020_1477727160989.jpg (90.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6021_1477727210132.jpg (51.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6024_1477727248332.jpg (55.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6160_1477727334235.jpg (69.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6162_1477727365050.jpg (71.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6163_1477727410889.jpg (69.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6720_1477727442962.jpg (55.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6721_1477727462997.jpg (51.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6722_1477727483882.jpg (64.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6723_1477727979065.jpg (75.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6750_1477728004619.jpg (41.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6751_1477728023470.jpg (41.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6752_1477728040943.jpg (25.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6713_1477728081988.jpg (63.7 KB, 52 views)
Ride154 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2016   #37

Beautiful work!
It depends A LOT on the quality of your 3D printer. I have never had to baby sit the Mark Forged 3D printers...but they are expensive.
Looks excellent. Please post more pictures!
Old 10-30-2016   #38

Rep Power: 42 Ride154 will become famous soon enoughRide154 will become famous soon enoughRide154 will become famous soon enoughRide154 will become famous soon enoughRide154 will become famous soon enoughRide154 will become famous soon enough

No problem. 2 weeks ago I did some testing with single, double and triple layer printing with only an outer shell but that didn't work out very well. I really hoped that would cut printing time in half. But too much flex in the shell and not airtight.

Also did some testing with spray filler and spray paint and that really worked out nice.

This weekend did some sanding on one of the parts with 240 grid and got it real smooth. Ready for some spray filler and more sanding.

What I really like about these 3d prints is that you can model them to the tenth of a millimeter so the mid and tweet can be pushed into place. No screws needed. The fit can be made that tight! And they fit every time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6724_1477850613842.jpg (53.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6725_1477850641642.jpg (44.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6727_1477850659407.jpg (54.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6728_1477850682090.jpg (43.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6685_1477850703983.jpg (58.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6763_1477850887069.jpg (60.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6764_1477850904829.jpg (37.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6765_1477850920717.jpg (43.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6683_1477850952273.jpg (34.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6684_1477850973293.jpg (27.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6686_1477850995793.jpg (65.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6688_1477851017813.jpg (57.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-30-2016   #39

Rep Power: 0 caraudiofab will become famous soon enoughcaraudiofab will become famous soon enoughcaraudiofab will become famous soon enoughcaraudiofab will become famous soon enoughcaraudiofab will become famous soon enoughcaraudiofab will become famous soon enough

Hey this looks familiar! A few more pics in here than what you emailed me.

Looks good. Having a 3D printer and all the fab tools... for a small tweeter bracket I prefer the 3d printer. The printer has no trouble printing something small and skinny, doing something like that with a router can get sketchy as its small. The printer lets me do stuff like a locking tab as well. I was able to replicate a Jeep tweeter bracket for some RF tweeters that fit perfect.
caraudiofab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2016   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraudiofab View Post
Hey this looks familiar! A few more pics in here than what you emailed me.

Looks good. Having a 3D printer and all the fab tools... for a small tweeter bracket I prefer the 3d printer. The printer has no trouble printing something small and skinny, doing something like that with a router can get sketchy as its small. The printer lets me do stuff like a locking tab as well. I was able to replicate a Jeep tweeter bracket for some RF tweeters that fit perfect.

Yep! If it wasn't for your Youtube videos and website I do not think I would have attempted the total DIY route. But I am actually really enjoying the work and it is a fun project. Parts-Express, McMaster Carr, and Amazon have been doing a great job supplying me with the consumables.
I saw your 3D printed RF tweeter mount for the Jeep. I am not 1/10th as skilled as most in the 12 volt world with a router (you all do some amazing things with routers) but I totally agree- 3D printing on a small part like that is a life saver compared to having to produce it by hand.

As always, having the right tools for the job makes things so much easier. But more important than that is having the knowledge and I appreciate what you share so generously with the community...I am a total hobbyist and DIY-er that has been away from this hobby for many years.
Old 10-30-2016   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride154 View Post
No problem. 2 weeks ago I did some testing with single, double and triple layer printing with only an outer shell but that didn't work out very well. I really hoped that would cut printing time in half. But too much flex in the shell and not airtight.

Also did some testing with spray filler and spray paint and that really worked out nice.

This weekend did some sanding on one of the parts with 240 grid and got it real smooth. Ready for some spray filler and more sanding.

What I really like about these 3d prints is that you can model them to the tenth of a millimeter so the mid and tweet can be pushed into place. No screws needed. The fit can be made that tight! And they fit every time.

Great pictures! A TENTH of a Millimeter??? What 3D printer does that? My experience has been there is usually a tolerance of a ~10 to 15-thousandths of an inch. The alternative is SLA but that is really $$$. The Mark Forged 3D printer has been spot on but I have only used it for a few print jobs but the tolerances have been perfect thus far.
Old 10-31-2016   #42

I might have exaggerated a bit ;-)
Also did a bit of reading on the markforged printer and that is twice the price of an ultimaker. Thats a bit overkill for how we use our printer.

I have a small architectural drawing company. Our idea was to give clients a small model of the before and after of the remodelling of theyre house. But soon after we bought the printer we figured out that would take a lot of extra time to make those models. And we found out that people didn't really want to pay extra for those models. To bad but more time on the printer for my hobby ;-)

Last edited by Ride154; 10-31-2016 at 06:08 AM..
Old 10-31-2016   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 306 Onyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I might have exaggerated a bit ;-)
Also did a bit of reading on the markforged printer and that is twice the price of an ultimaker. Thats a bit overkill for how we use our printer.

I have a small architectural drawing company. Our idea was to give clients a small model of the before and after of the remodelling of theyre house. But soon after we bought the printer we figured out that would take a lot of extra time to make those models. And we found out that people didn't really want to pay extra for those models. To bad but more time on the printer for my hobby ;-)
Instead of charging extra for the model, did you try rolling the price of it into the cost of your services? They would never really know they got charged extra for it if you present it as just another one of the services you include that sets you apart from your competitors.
Onyx1136 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2016   #44

Ride154: That is an excellent and very cool application. I agree with Onyx, that would be a competitive advantage if you could amortize the cost of the 3D printing into the engineering drawings...customers I think would really like that. Especially for those who cannot "see" in 3D.
Old 10-31-2016   #45

For those following this thread, please check out:

Car Audio Fabrication - Custom Techniques , Video Tutorials Car Audio

There are some amazing youtube videos also that were very helpful to me as a hobbyist and DIY-er.

These video tutorials inspired me to try this install out by myself and on my own...
Old 10-31-2016   #46

Thanks for the feed back guys. In march 2017 we have our company for ten years and we just started desiging a new logo and after that a new website. And after such a time it also wise to rethink everything, how you do and why you do. We bought the printer 2 years ago and after 9 months we came to the conclusion that it took us to much time out of our regular schedual and we stopped investing more time in it. This spring we finished one of our big assingments with 30 appartments, a supermarket and beneath the supermarket a parkinglot. Designed by a famous dutch architect and we made al the drawings for the developer and the contractor. So now we have a little more time to 'breathe' so out came the printer again.
Our business is very price compatitive and we already are a bit on the high side just because we are that good ;-) But none the less something to reconsider. Again thanks for the heads up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6135_1477941547521.jpg (53.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-08-2016   #47

Hi Guys, last couple of days did some tinkering on the printer and the prints are getting better. These are the last couple of prints and in various stages of sanding, primer and paint. I can piece them together like a retarded lego.
The last print seems very happy, doesn't he?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6791_1478605323135.jpg (91.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6793_1478605351135.jpg (64.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6795_1478605373607.jpg (70.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6788_1478605445485.jpg (54.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6789_1478605461686.jpg (48.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-08-2016   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 306 Onyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Guys, last couple of days did some tinkering on the printer and the prints are getting better. These are the last couple of prints and in various stages of sanding, primer and paint. I can piece them together like a retarded lego.
The last print seems very happy, doesn't he?
One thing I would like to see 3D printing used for, that I haven't seen yet, is to print something like you did, but leave the walls mostly hollow and fill them in with something more dense like lead or sand.
Onyx1136 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2016   #49

That shouldn't be to hard. This print has a grid inside of 8 mm, so if you leave some openings in het front you could fill it up with whatever you want. Last week I was thinking about something similar and filling it with liquid epoxy for some extra mass. I've heard a rumor that epoxy expands a little bit when it dries and then maybe destroys your print. No sure tho
Old 11-10-2016   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 70 chevelle will become famous soon enough70 chevelle will become famous soon enough70 chevelle will become famous soon enough70 chevelle will become famous soon enough70 chevelle will become famous soon enough70 chevelle will become famous soon enough

Sorry to get off subject but do you have the silver series playing yet? Opinion?

2000 Z28, Alpine 9886, Zed Audio Leviathan, ID XS65, old school solo 10

Tony L
70 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement