Advancements in 3D Printing...Mark Forged 3D printer in action - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2018   #76

Rep Power: 83 Mike Bober will become famous soon enoughMike Bober will become famous soon enoughMike Bober will become famous soon enoughMike Bober will become famous soon enoughMike Bober will become famous soon enoughMike Bober will become famous soon enoughMike Bober will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Advancements in 3D Printing...Mark Forged 3D printer in action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
I have not read through this whole thread but has anybody used a 3d scanner to scan let's say an OEM speaker mounting surface, import that scan into modeling software, and use it to model and print a custom mounting baffle?

I have many years of 3d modeling experience using Autodesk and Solidworks but have never once messed with a 3d printer and would like to learn more about them.
I had bought a cheap scanner and it was worthless, but any scanner that gets even decent reviews is very expensive, but im sure they do work great at that.
Mike Bober is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018   #77
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 226 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
I have not read through this whole thread but has anybody used a 3d scanner to scan let's say an OEM speaker mounting surface, import that scan into modeling software, and use it to model and print a custom mounting baffle?

I have many years of 3d modeling experience using Autodesk and Solidworks but have never once messed with a 3d printer and would like to learn more about them.
Way way faster and more accurate to design it by hand. I could design a baffle in ten minutes, easy.

I've tried 3D scanning, but it took forever and the results were unusable. If a few of your points are 'off' the entire mesh is wrecked.

I could see how it could be useful for ultra complex objects, like a human body or a face.

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2018   #78
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 68 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

Way way faster and more accurate to design it by hand. I could design a baffle in ten minutes, easy.

I've tried 3D scanning, but it took forever and the results were unusable. If a few of your points are 'off' the entire mesh is wrecked.

I could see how it could be useful for ultra complex objects, like a human body or a face.

I agree whipping up a standard flat baffle by hand is much quicker but I'm thinking of an application where the OEM mounting surface is not flat and designing in a compound tilt for better on-axis response at the same time.
Truthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018   #79
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 326 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

Does that filament trash your nozzle or your print head?

I started 3D printing in PLA but stepped up to PETG when one of my 3D printed speakers warped on my dash in the sun... in January

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZX8eHC7fws&ytbChannel=Thomas%20Sanladerer

What do you think of this? I'm no expert by any means but I've heard that there are a lot of different "PLA" in both composition and quality between different brands. I tried a PLA print yesterday and it seems quite workable, even drilled holes and threaded it. We'll see if it retains its shape, I'll just put it on the dash in the car for a few days and re-check.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2018   #80
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 226 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Wow, that's incredible!

I've always found it much easier to work with PLA, but I stopped using it when I had a part warp in my car. If annealing would make it withstand temperatures up to about 50-ish, I think I'd probably go back to using it.

Andy Wehmeyer was the one that convinced me to try PETG. But he's also gone to using ABS, as I understand it.

In my prints, I can generally get *slightly* better quality with PETG but they're soooooo slooooow. I have to run my printer at about 1/3rd speed.

And I'm always tinkering; I literally print three or four things a week. So being able to get the stupid things finished in hours instead of days would be wonderful.

Side note:

My other hobby is bikes. If you see posts on bike forums from Patrick Bateman, that's me. My wife hates it when I work with fiberglass, because it stinks. So one time she headed off to pick up the kids, and I baked a fiberglass part in the oven of our house.

One little problem...

I thought our stove was electric. But it's not. So I came pretty close to blowing up the entire house. This wasn't some tiny fiberglass part, this was a significant chunk of a bicycle frame that I baked.

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018   #81

Rep Power: 40 CAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enough

Your wife sounds very kind and tolerant. You should outsource your 3D printing and review your material properties as even using ABS these days puts you back in the Stone Age. Fine for a prototype but not for actual use in my opinion.
CAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2018   #82
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 326 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

I designed these for my friend's build. Worked out fine, this is so much faster than building them by hand. Tweeters are fit from behind with conical mount, would be really time consuming to build. There are more pictures in his thread here; https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...q-build-4.html

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanatsu For This Useful Post:
Truthunter (07-04-2018)
Old 08-21-2018   #83

Rep Power: 40 CAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enoughCAudio will become famous soon enough

More build pictures here:

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ml#post5588401
Old 07-13-2019   #84

Rep Power: 0 Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enoughRicky Bobby will become famous soon enoughRicky Bobby will become famous soon enoughRicky Bobby will become famous soon enoughRicky Bobby will become famous soon enoughRicky Bobby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAudio View Post
Voila! Finished and beautiful. No more ABS to fail from heat+UV exposure. Hard to get stronger than carbon+Kevlar+nylon. The MarkForged 3D printer prints parts with true structural integrity.
Except... "The ultraviolet component of sunlight degrades and decomposes Kevlar, a problem known as UV degradation, and so it is rarely used outdoors without protection against sunlight."

But I'm sure a UV coating would quickly cure this.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #85

The Kevlar is only a strengthening reinforcement layer and it is sandwiched in between the carbon+nylon layers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement