Running the JL Audio TuN software on a Mac - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 bigguy2010 will become famous soon enoughbigguy2010 will become famous soon enoughbigguy2010 will become famous soon enoughbigguy2010 will become famous soon enoughbigguy2010 will become famous soon enoughbigguy2010 will become famous soon enough

Default Running the JL Audio TuN software on a Mac

I wanted to run the TuN software on my Macbook Pro instead of buying a new laptop just to run TuN. I did this for free, so I'd imagine if you have a few tech savvy friends that they can get you a product key for Windows. Anyone in college should have access to majorly discounted copies of Windows. A guy at my work had a Windows 7 Professional key, so I downloaded it online and used the key he gave me.

I used a Oracle software called Virtual Box downloaded from their website for free. It allows you to partition your hard drive and install Windows on your Mac.

Here's a great video on how to get Virtual Box installed and running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TCgmY3kkC4

Virtual Box download:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I tried using Apple's Boot Camp but couldn't figure out how to write Windows to a USB flash drive, the option didn't exist on my machine when I opened Boot Camp for some reason. I googled around and tried to get the option to appear but failed.

So I installed VB, ran it and installed Windows 7 Professional. It works pretty good on my Mac, I designated 2GB of the 4GB I have in this machine to the Windows side of things during the setup just for reference. Then I installed the JL TuN software. At first TuN wouldn't fit into the VB window, it was in scaled mode. I switched it to Full screen mode and that got the resolution high enough to fit the entire TuN program on my screen.

There was a few tricky things I had to do to get Windows to recognize my TwK. Here's the steps I took to get Windows (running in VB) to see the TwK.

1. Create a USB filter in your VB settings while the TwK is plugged in and POWERED ON. Delete all values except VendorID and ProductID.
2. Unplug the TwK from your Mac.
3. Start Windows (the one that you applied the filter to). Let it start completely.
4. Log in if you have to.
5. Plug the TwK back in. The filter should capture it and pass control to your guest.

I had to do it in this order to get Windows to see the TwK since there's no way to eject the TwK from my Macbook, at least that I know of.

I hope this helps some of you guys that may only have a Macbook and don't want to buy a Windows machine just to run this Tun software.

Now I just have to wait for Spectrum Labs to get the UMIK-1 back in stock so I can start tuning with REW.

Good luck guys!

2012 F-150 SuperCrew FX4 | JL Audio FiX-82 | JL Audio TwK-88 | Soundstream TN4.900D | Soundstream TN1.1200D | ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 | Audible Physics H6MB | Boston Acoustics G512-44 & GTR12 |
bigguy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017   #2

Rep Power: 0 voiceCoil63 will become famous soon enoughvoiceCoil63 will become famous soon enoughvoiceCoil63 will become famous soon enoughvoiceCoil63 will become famous soon enoughvoiceCoil63 will become famous soon enoughvoiceCoil63 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Running the JL Audio TuN software on a Mac

I discovered this thread (in fact, this entire site!) while researching this very issue. I can also confirm that the TuN 2.0 software works perfectly with VMWare Fusion 6.0.6 (Windows 7) on a Mid-2010 MacBook Pro running Mavericks (10.9.5). I've also seen posts (with screenshots) confirming that it works well with Parallels Desktop 10, as well.
voiceCoil63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

I'm running Tun in Parallels right now.

It also works in BootCamp. All of my computers are Macs. I use BootCamp to tune my Helix DSP Pro, also.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017   #4

Rep Power: 0 voiceCoil63 will become famous soon enoughvoiceCoil63 will become famous soon enoughvoiceCoil63 will become famous soon enoughvoiceCoil63 will become famous soon enoughvoiceCoil63 will become famous soon enoughvoiceCoil63 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
I'm running Tun in Parallels right now.

It also works in BootCamp. All of my computers are Macs. I use BootCamp to tune my Helix DSP Pro, also.
Good to hear. No USB connection problems with either one? Every now and then, I find that using Parallels or VMWare causes intermittent connection issues with some USB devices. And I came across one USB Check Scanner that wouldn't work no matter what we tried...
Old 03-17-2017   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

I can understand Parallels or other VM software possibly having issues, but not Bootcamp.

Bootcamp is running a native Windows install on the Intel-based hardware of a Mac. I don't see any reason why there would be USB issues with that and not with other PC hardware?

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
I can understand Parallels or other VM software possibly having issues, but not Bootcamp.

Bootcamp is running a native Windows install on the Intel-based hardware of a Mac. I don't see any reason why there would be USB issues with that and not with other PC hardware?
Good point -- the truth is, BootCamp is one option we never tried with the Check Scanner. We tested Virtual Box, Parallels, and VMWare Fusion. It may have worked fine, but having to reboot every time we want to scan checks & make a bank deposit would be a hassle. As it turns out, our bank provided us with a Windows 10 laptop at no charge, so now we have one lonely PC in an office full of Macs. But at least we didn't have to pay for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement