What are y'all using for sources? - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2018   #26

Rep Power: 18 openglcg will become famous soon enoughopenglcg will become famous soon enoughopenglcg will become famous soon enoughopenglcg will become famous soon enoughopenglcg will become famous soon enoughopenglcg will become famous soon enough

Default Re: What are y'all using for sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
No clue. Haven't messed with iTunes at all. I know what works with my factory headunit and it's a pretty universal format for everything else.

As for flash drives I swear by the Sandisk Cruzer Glide drives. The 32gb is like $8 each and they don't get hot with doing a marathon file transfer. Probably because the actual drive is encased in thick plastic, lol. Either way, never as much as a hiccup out of any of them. PNY makes Baby Jesus cry in my experience. The larger profile of the Cruzer gives my short stubby fingers something to hold on to while threading the needle into my usb port.
lol same thing here. got a pny drive and it managed to skip when plugged in to the hu. back to the old cruzers never went wrong.

pretty basic setup here its usb or bluetooth into the headunit. kdc x399 does a full 4v through all 3 outputs. turns up to max volume with no distortion. can even turn up the subwoofer out gain one notch without distortion. all tested with smd dd1. i have the extra notch saved for tracks that i know have -1db bass in them. for everything else my system will tolerate the full brickwalled 0db bass electronic tracks that are common and stay at <1% thd and rms ratings of the subs and speakers. no eq is ever used. did all eq though speaker selection, placement, and high/low pass filters on the amps set by ear.
openglcg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018   #27

12V Company:
Car Toys
Position:
MECP Advanced Certified Noob

Rep Power: 25 mattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enough

iPad Pro with Tidal connected directly to my Helix HEC USB. Too lazy to download/find/buy FLAC files so streaming services it is.
mattkim1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 369 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkim1337 View Post
iPad Pro with Tidal connected directly to my Helix HEC USB. Too lazy to download/find/buy FLAC files so streaming services it is.
You can also download the music files via Tidal Offline.
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018   #29

Rep Power: 31 Redliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
You can also download the music files via Tidal Offline.
I tried tidal. sadly out of 1500 songs I have on my iPod they have 100-120 I listen to. they have a terrible selection in some areas and of course everything known to man in the new mainstream radio garbage. I listen to my iPod 10-12hrs a night at work plus driving and would be nice to be able to have tidal quality or better on there.
Redliner99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018   #30

Rep Power: 67 GEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enough

Uncompressed wav files on SD cards, mainly, with ipod as a backup. If I wanted the ipod feel for everything with no compression or format issues, I would go with a DAP. I'm waiting for the price points to settle completely, so to speak, although you can do pretty well for not too much even now.
GEM592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2018   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 113 Hammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner99 View Post
So for the past years I have been using an iPod because it's been easy to use. I don't like using my phone for music because of work and riding a motorcycle. I got some base line tuning in with a friend today he was streaming off Tidal on his phone and I was blown away (first time dsp user here). On the way home I plugged my iPod in and it sounds so bad. I have a lot compressed music files and need redo my library that is a given. But are y'all using phones or jump drives or what to listen to music?
I use a IPad that is mounted in the dash. All music is in Flac.

00 Dodge Ram Cummins Twin Turbo. IPad 9.7 Pro in the Dash. Illusion Audio C12XL C8,C5,Illusion Tweeters,Mosconi AS300.2,AS200.2, AS100.4. Mosconi 6to8 Aerospace
Hammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2018   #32

Rep Power: 31 Redliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer1 View Post
I use a IPad that is mounted in the dash. All music is in Flac.
I'm curious as to how you get an iPad to play flac? And where do you get flac files from? Just ripping cds?
Old 07-08-2018   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM592 View Post
Uncompressed wav files on SD cards, mainly, with ipod as a backup. If I wanted the ipod feel for everything with no compression or format issues, I would go with a DAP. I'm waiting for the price points to settle completely, so to speak, although you can do pretty well for not too much even now.
I have usb on my deck so thumb drive instead of sd card? And what is a DAP?
Old 07-08-2018   #34

12V Company:
Car Toys
Position:
MECP Advanced Certified Noob

Rep Power: 25 mattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enough

Where do you guys download FLAC files?
mattkim1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2018   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 113 Hammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm curious as to how you get an iPad to play flac? And where do you get flac files from? Just ripping cds?
I use a hi res app called kaiser tone to play flac. I use HD tracks to get hi res in flac.
iPhone X supports Flac now and iPad should soon without a hi res player

00 Dodge Ram Cummins Twin Turbo. IPad 9.7 Pro in the Dash. Illusion Audio C12XL C8,C5,Illusion Tweeters,Mosconi AS300.2,AS200.2, AS100.4. Mosconi 6to8 Aerospace

Last edited by Hammer1; 07-08-2018 at 09:16 AM..
Old 07-08-2018   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkim1337 View Post
Where do you guys download FLAC files?
I get them from HD Tracks. They have a pretty good selection of music

Old 07-08-2018   #37

Rep Power: 67 GEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have usb on my deck so thumb drive instead of sd card? And what is a DAP?
Thumb drive is fine, or sd to usb converters exist too.

DAP is "Digital Audio Player" - fiio, Onkyo (and others) make them. Basically like ipods, but better.
GEM592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2018   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 235 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

I use a 128gig stick. plug into the stock HU and play for days!

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2014 Tacoma, Stock HU |AC LC2i | Dayton 408 DSP | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> Silver Flute 8" | -> JL 300/2 -> Vifa XT25 | JL 500/1 -> 12" ID IDQ
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2018   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM592 View Post
Thumb drive is fine, or sd to usb converters exist too.

DAP is "Digital Audio Player" - fiio, Onkyo (and others) make them. Basically like ipods, but better.
That's interesting I didn't know anything was as user friendly as iPod but that's a cool concept
Old 07-08-2018   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
I use a 128gig stick. plug into the stock HU and play for days!

I'm leaning this way just have to put music on my iPod and the stick which shouldn't be too hard
Old 07-08-2018   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 235 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm leaning this way just have to put music on my iPod and the stick which shouldn't be too hard
does your Ipod not work in your car?

its not hard at all. whereever your library is stored for your ipod. sync the stick. I use a VERY handy commandline called "robocopy" it will copy over new files without having to re-write the entire stick everytime you get a bunch of new music.

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2014 Tacoma, Stock HU |AC LC2i | Dayton 408 DSP | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> Silver Flute 8" | -> JL 300/2 -> Vifa XT25 | JL 500/1 -> 12" ID IDQ
Old 07-08-2018   #42

Quote:
does your Ipod not work in your car?

its not hard at all. whereever your library is stored for your ipod. sync the stick. I use a VERY handy commandline called "robocopy" it will copy over new files without having to re-write the entire stick everytime you get a bunch of new music.
It works great in my car I'm running a kenwood execelon x500. But all my music files are terrible quality so I'm gonna have to rebuild my library. Just seeing what people are using
Old 07-08-2018   #43
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 95 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

ipod/cd/bluetooth via vw's rns-510. line-out into a helix dsp. i also have a usb-hec but i generally don't use it.

i leave an ipod touch in the center console, sync with it over wifi. i haven't updated it much though.

via bluetooth? apple music (aac, flac), plex (aac, flac including highres), onkyo (aac, dsd [very few] and flacs)

nadams5755 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2018   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
It works great in my car I'm running a kenwood execelon x500. But all my music files are terrible quality so I'm gonna have to rebuild my library. Just seeing what people are using
I got ya. I couldn't possibly do that lol. I have over 10k songs

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

Old 07-08-2018   #45

Quote:
I got ya. I couldn't possibly do that lol. I have over 10k songs

That's awesome I don't think I have heard 10k songs in my life. Where do you get all of that from?
Old 07-08-2018   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
That's awesome I don't think I have heard 10k songs in my life. Where do you get all of that from?
30 years of CDs and downloading. It adds up lol.

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

Old 07-08-2018   #47

Quote:
30 years of CDs and downloading. It adds up lol.

Yea I bet it does. Are they all wav or flac like quality?
Old 07-08-2018   #48

Rep Power: 0 nolimitzr1 will become famous soon enoughnolimitzr1 will become famous soon enoughnolimitzr1 will become famous soon enoughnolimitzr1 will become famous soon enoughnolimitzr1 will become famous soon enoughnolimitzr1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikmanwi View Post
Alpine CDA-7894 in my wife’s 1991 Taurus SHO using Flac files through aux with phone headphone jack. Pioneer MVH-X690BS in wife’s 2002 Mountaineer using FLAC files on usb. Kenwood KDC-MP635 in wife’s Xterra. Clarion DRX9255 in my 1988 Corvette using Flac files with aux and Fiio X5. Pioneer AVH-X4800BS in my 2007 Mountaineer using FLAC files on usb.
thats funny was my first deck in my Taurus as well...15 years old...was ahead of its time back then
nolimitzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Yea I bet it does. Are they all wav or flac like quality?
No. Mostly 320kbps

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

Old 07-09-2018   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 mzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enough

I stream Spotify on my Samsung GS9 via a JL Audio MBT-RX bluetooth receiver straight into my JBL MS-8.

I don't use a head unit of any type.

2010 Mazda CX-9 Touring
-Install Log-
-Tuning Log-
mzmtg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement