What are y'all using for sources? - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2018   #76

Rep Power: 26 mark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: What are y'all using for sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
Usb is great, but you can have crappy converting still. Digital is still converted. Think of accents. Yeah we all speak American but a New Yorker can't understand a guy from the brush of Mississippi. Digital is the same way. Is all digital but it had to get converted for each part to understand it. A lot of times one simple digital to analog conversation is best. So go great with the dac's and Bluetooth adapters or don't get caught up on what could be.
I choose bluetooth just to don't get crappy with usb/otg/charging and so on...
Technically the only one D/A conversion could be done by PXA. Bluetooth is a digital streaming, the adapter convert digital to digital (optical) then the signal go into DSP. I hope so... anyway I have a Clarion with digital output and I am going to compare it.
Thanks"
mark3004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2018   #77
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 369 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner99 View Post
Bringing this thread back up as I'm running out of room on my iPod. What DAPs are people using besides Fiio?
Check out the just announced iBasso DX120. I believe that it is $299 and has Two MicroSD Card Slots. Samsung is releasing a 500GB MicroSD Card soon. Sandisk currently makes one up to 400GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3004 View Post
I was pretty undecided between usb and Bluetooth, since I discovered how get aptx HD on my tablet. Do you think there is still difference from usb and aptx HD (48kHz/24bit)?
How are you getting Apt-X HD from your Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0???

AFAIK, Apt-X HD requires a newer Qualcomm Chipset that the Tab S2 does not have (I also have the Tab S2 8.0). You can get standard Apt-X ("almost" CD Quality 16/44.1) but not 24-bit "HD" Apt-X.

I'm currently doing a trial run in my GF's CUV with the newer ToTL Kenwood DDX-9905S which plays Hi-Res 24-bit WAV & FLAC along with DSD files via USB. It has a really nice HD display and TWO Rear USB Ports. Using a 1TB SSD and 2TB 2.5" HDD. It has Apt-X BT as well. Also Wireless Android Auto and wired Apple Carplay. I don't absolutely love the GUI, but it's "good enough".

I'm using the iDataLink Maestro RR interface module to retain & add to the Steering Wheel Controls, and it provides a few Performance Gauges & Sensor Readouts for the car via the OBDII port.

As another source I also use the International cellular phone & data version of the Samsung Tab S2 8.0 (SM-T715Y) via USB and either the USB Audio Player Pro or Musicolet apps feeding digital via USB into the USB HEC module of the Helix DSP Pro MK 2. I also use the Tab S2 along with my Note FE (Note 7) smartphone via Apt-X BT connected to the Kenwood DD HU. The Kenwood allows TWO concurrent BT Connections and will automatically switch to either of device when a phone call comes in.

Last edited by bbfoto; 09-14-2018 at 05:51 PM..
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018   #78

Rep Power: 31 Redliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enough

Default What are y'all using for sources?

[QUOTE=bbfoto;5599181]Check out the just announced iBasso DX120. I believe that it is $299 and has Two MicroSD Card Slots. Samsung is releasing a 500GB MicroSD Card soon. Sandisk currently makes one up

This looks pretty appealing but I don't think it has Bluetooth to connect to my wireless headphone. I sent them an email to get some more info thank you for the suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redliner99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018   #79

Rep Power: 19 Mitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enough

I was using my stock HU, 8" Mylink for my 2018 Silverado- to Lc2i- Dayton DSP-408, I either listen to Sirius or Pandora through my HU using my hotspot on my phone as wifi connection.

However the past week I used the BT option on my Dayton DSP and streamed from my phone bypassing the HU and OMG did my highs/mid bass come alive!! I haven't got to truly tune my DSP yet but after hearing it through the phone I understand why DSPs are soooo necessary!

Only drawbacks are for some reason my sub does not get nearly as loud/ hit as hard when using phone through DSP as when using HU to DSP... thinking it has something to do with the Lc2i and bass boost I get from it... but everything else sounds soooo much better through the phone- if I could combine the 2 itd be perfect!

Hopefully the PAC Ap4-gm61 fixes this, just ordered it last night so I can get a clean signal from my HU.
Mitchc1113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018   #80
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 44 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Exclamation Re: What are y'all using for sources?

Maybe the AlldoCube X Tablet?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...ntertainment#/

Bnlcmbcar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018   #81

Rep Power: 31 Redliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
Check out the just announced iBasso DX120. I believe that it is $299 and has Two MicroSD Card Slots. Samsung is releasing a 500GB MicroSD Card soon. Sandisk currently makes one up to 400GB.

AFAIK, Apt-X HD requires a newer Qualcomm Chipset that the Tab S2 does not have (I also have the Tab S2 8.0). You can get standard Apt-X ("almost" CD Quality 16/44.1) but not 24-bit "HD" Apt-X.

I'm currently doing a trial run in my GF's CUV with the newer ToTL Kenwood DDX-9905S which plays Hi-Res 24-bit WAV & FLAC along with DSD files via USB. It has a really nice HD display and TWO Rear USB Ports. Using a 1TB SSD and 2TB 2.5" HDD. It has Apt-X BT as well. Also Wireless Android Auto and wired Apple Carplay. I don't absolutely love the GUI, but it's "good enough".

I'm using the iDataLink Maestro RR interface module to retain & add to the Steering Wheel Controls, and it provides a few Performance Gauges & Sensor Readouts for the car via the OBDII port.

As another source I also use the International cellular phone & data version of the Samsung Tab S2 8.0 (SM-T715Y) via USB and either the USB Audio Player Pro or Musicolet apps feeding digital via USB into the USB HEC module of the Helix DSP Pro MK 2. I also use the Tab S2 along with my Note FE (Note 7) smartphone via Apt-X BT connected to the Kenwood DD HU. The Kenwood allows TWO concurrent BT Connections and will automatically switch to either of device when a phone call comes in.

I sent you a pm about some stuff when your free

Old 09-21-2018   #82
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 369 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I sent you a pm about some stuff when your free.
Yup, Sorry I haven't had the time to give you a detailed reply. Been traveling out of town in Tucson/Nogales in some Blackhawks for U.S. Customs & Border Protection since the 9th and now crazy busy and distracted on a Nautilus TV/Stills shoot in L.A. with some really fat n' ugly fitness ladies.

Forgot that when I suggested it that the iBasso DX120 is a "Pure" model, so no BT, sorry.

The Hiby R6 has great tactile/physical buttons for controlling playback while in your pocket though overall the device is a bit on the large or thick side unless you have baggy pockets. The build quality is among the best of any DAP in its price range or even much higher.

The HiBy R3 might be perfect for you, but I have no personal experience with it. Its main disadvantage is that it runs a proprietary OS, not Android, so you can't load any 3rd party apps or other music players from the Google Play Store on it.

HiBy just announced the HiBy R6 PRO as well. Basically it's supposed to fix most of the problems and shortcomings of the current base model R6 (I hope, and we'll see!) and it's not that much more money over the standard R6.

I still love my iBasso DX200 for SQ with the AMP8 module but it's pricey. DX150 is awesome SQ, too, but UI is slow AF.

I personally am not a fan of the FiiO DAPs (I mostly don't care for the UI/software), but others love them, so?

There's a new DAP Brand & Model coming out every day it seems tho'!

None have the ubiquitous following of the iPod/iPhone and their OEM+Aftermarket HU/ USB connection & integration support. With most DAPs you'd either stream via BT to your HU or DSP, or use an Optical Toslink or Digital Coaxial hard-wired cable connection directly into a DSP. *Some* DAPs may work as a Digital Transport via a USB connection into the Helix DSP Pro/Pro MK II with USB HEC card, but it's hit or miss.

I'm currently testing a newer flagship Kenwood DDX9905S DD HU with a 2.5" 2TB HHD or 1TB SSD connected via USB, and it plays nearly any Hi-Res format and DSD file that you can throw at it. I'm not completely thrilled with the interface/UI, but it's a fairly decent & responsive experience and the SQ is impressive. But it doesn't play ALAC files or work with older gen iPods/30-pin iOS devices, so that's a bit of a disappointment.

Personally, I think DAPs make the most sense only if you are also a serious listener via Headphones at home, or with IEMs/earbuds when running/working out. A Smartphone is the most convenient as an all-purpose device + portable/home/car music player if it has the storage capability that you need. I believe Apple will be going "Higher Res" soon, though. Word on the street is that they are currently archiving their music library in higher-quality. No guarantees though, just speculation.

HTH?

Last edited by bbfoto; 09-21-2018 at 01:24 AM..
Old 09-21-2018   #83

Quote:
Yup, Sorry I haven't had the time to give you a detailed reply. Been traveling out of town in Tucson/Nogales in some Blackhawks for U.S. Customs & Border Protection since the 9th and now crazy busy and distracted on a Nautilus TV/Stills shoot in L.A. with some really fat n' ugly fitness ladies.

HiBy just announced the HiBy R6 PRO as well. Basically it's supposed to fix most of the problems and shortcomings of the current base model R6 (I hope, and we'll see)!

I still love my iBasso DX200 for SQ with the AMP8 module but it's pricey. DX150 is awesome SQ, too, but UI is slow AF.

I personally am not a fan of the FiiO DAPs (I mostly don't care for the UI/software), but others love them, so?

None have the ubiquitous following of the iPod/iPhone and their OEM+Aftermarket HU/ USB connection & integration support. With most DAPs you'd either stream via BT to your HU or DSP, or use an Optical Toslink or Digital Coaxial hard-wired cable connection directly into a DSP. *Some* DAPs may work as a Digital Transport via a USB connection into the Helix DSP Pro/Pro MK II with USB HEC card, but it's hit or miss.

I'm currently testing a newer flagship Kenwood DDX9905S DD HU with a 2.5" 2TB HHD or 1TB SSD connected via USB, and it plays nearly any Hi-Res format and DSD file that you can throw at it. I'm not completely thrilled with the interface/UI, but it's a fairly decent & responsive experience and the SQ is impressive. But it doesn't play ALAC files or work with older gen iPods/30-pin iOS devices, so that's a bit of a disappointment.

HTH?

Awesome Info thank you! I might wait for the r6 pro to come out. I need something with Bluetooth to connect to headphones for work so that might fit the bill. Not to mention people seem to be happy with the new android software.

Old 09-21-2018   #84

Quote:

Forgot that when I suggested it that the iBasso DX120 is a "Pure" model, so no BT, sorry.

The Hiby R6 has great tactile/physical buttons for controlling playback & volume while in your pocket though overall the device is a bit on the large or thick side unless you have baggy pockets. The HiBy R3 might be perfect for you. Its main disadvantage is that it runs a proprietary OS, not Android, so you can't load any 3rd party apps or other music players from the Google Play Store on it.

HiBy just announced the HiBy R6 PRO as well. Basically it's supposed to fix most of the problems and shortcomings of the current base model R6 (I hope, and we'll see)!

Personally, I think DAPs make the most sense only if you are also a serious listener via Headphones at home, or with IEMs/earbuds when running/working out. A Smartphone is the most convenient as an all-purpose device + portable/home/car music player if it has the storage capability that you need. I believe Apple will be going "Higher Res" soon, though. Word on the street is that they are currently archiving their music library in higher-quality. No guarantees though, just speculation.

HTH?

Also what made you chose between the r6 and the ibasso?

Old 09-21-2018   #85
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Also what made you chose between the r6 and the ibasso?
The overall speed/responsiveness and beautiful touchscreen quality of the R6 is superior to almost any other DAP under $2500 (A&K) and more in line with a modern smartphone. IMO, the iBasso is a beast in functionality/versatility and superior in SQ (especially with the different amp modules), but the UI and speed is just mediocre.
Old 09-21-2018   #86

Quote:
The overall speed/responsiveness and beautiful touchscreen quality of the R6 is superior to almost any other DAP under $2500 (A&K) and more in line with a modern smartphone. IMO, the iBasso is a beast in functionality/versatility and superior in SQ (especially with the different amp modules), but the UI and speed is just mediocre.

Are you compelled enough to get the r6 pro and see how it compares to your dx200?

Old 09-21-2018   #87
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Are you compelled enough to get the r6 pro and see how it compares to your dx200?
MAYBE...

But I'm really happy with how the DX200 performs in terms of SQ and in my use case scenario, and the new Kenwood HU + my Phablet setup is solid & gettin' it done.

I'll wait and see how the reviews go on the R6 Pro and decide from there. I'm currently fairly happy with what I've got.

If I didn't have any other DAPs or a good Smartphone/Phablet setup, I would probably go for the R6 PRO... but I would fully expect there to be some hiccups with it as well. None of these things are perfect unfortunately.
Old 09-21-2018   #88

Quote:
MAYBE...

But I'm really happy with how the DX200 performs in terms of SQ and in my use case scenario, and the new Kenwood HU + my Phablet setup is solid & gettin' it done.

I'll wait and see how the reviews go on the R6 Pro and decide from there. I'm currently fairly happy with what I've got.

If I didn't have any other DAPs or a good Smartphone/Phablet setup, I would probably go for the R6 PRO... but I would fully expect there to be some hiccups with it as well. None of these things are perfect unfortunately.

Yea that's true. I was ok with getting a new iPod but apple couldn't manage making a button on the new ones to change the song with out turning the screen on so annoying

Old 01-28-2019   #89

Rep Power: 0 dp28688 will become famous soon enoughdp28688 will become famous soon enoughdp28688 will become famous soon enoughdp28688 will become famous soon enoughdp28688 will become famous soon enoughdp28688 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchc1113 View Post
I was using my stock HU, 8" Mylink for my 2018 Silverado- to Lc2i- Dayton DSP-408, I either listen to Sirius or Pandora through my HU using my hotspot on my phone as wifi connection.

However the past week I used the BT option on my Dayton DSP and streamed from my phone bypassing the HU and OMG did my highs/mid bass come alive!! I haven't got to truly tune my DSP yet but after hearing it through the phone I understand why DSPs are soooo necessary!

Only drawbacks are for some reason my sub does not get nearly as loud/ hit as hard when using phone through DSP as when using HU to DSP... thinking it has something to do with the Lc2i and bass boost I get from it... but everything else sounds soooo much better through the phone- if I could combine the 2 itd be perfect!

Hopefully the PAC Ap4-gm61 fixes this, just ordered it last night so I can get a clean signal from my HU.

The dsp-408 have high level input. did you try it that way without the lc2i? or are you using the lc2i for losses in stock headunit? i hear lot of them process bass to lower at higher volume. which i think the lc2i is suppose to correct. Im thinking about getting that same dsp why im asking so i know where to start.
dp28688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019   #90

Rep Power: 26 mark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Sorry for late reply.

Yes, I get APTX HD from tab S2 8

Aptx HD protocol is only available on android devices with version 8.0 or newer, and for what I know, bluetooth version 4 or above.
I own a qualcomm chipset version S2
Tecnically the S2 8 hardware is fine for aptx HD.

I installed a non-stock firmware android 8 on the tablet, then I flashed this codec to enable the aptx hd

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...audio-t3501991

This is the bluetooth receiver showing actual connection (HD light on) and bluetooth info tablet!

mark3004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mark3004 For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019   #91

Rep Power: 19 Mitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp28688 View Post
The dsp-408 have high level input. did you try it that way without the lc2i? or are you using the lc2i for losses in stock headunit? i hear lot of them process bass to lower at higher volume. which i think the lc2i is suppose to correct. Im thinking about getting that same dsp why im asking so i know where to start.
I never tried using the high level inputs straight to the DSP. I ended up getting the PAC ap4-gm61 amp pro. Solved all my issues, everything sounds great now. The problem is the Most units in these GM vehicles. The processing already done by the factory gives you an awful signal out. The Pac ap4-gm61 fixes this, it's a plug n play unit so now splicing into the speaker wires and it goes in and corrects the factory signal and gives you a 100% clean stereo/flat signal out to your dsp or amps.

Once the Dayton gets that clean/flat signal it's awesome, can really start doing what it's meant to do. It's a great dsp!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Mitchc1113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitchc1113 For This Useful Post:
dp28688 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019   #92

Rep Power: 20 K-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enough

I was using high end daps as a source unit. I was using the pioneer P99rs, then Kenwood ddx9905, and now the Sony gsx-9.
K-pop sucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019   #93

Rep Power: 6 St7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

The HiBy R3 might be perfect for you, but I have no personal experience with it. Its main disadvantage is that it runs a proprietary OS, not Android, so you can't load any 3rd party apps or other music players from the Google Play Store on it.
If you're not an android person or into hi-res streaming (if not hires, can still BT it from phone to R3 using whatever app you want), I personally think the R3's OS is a main strength. That and the coax, and reasonable speed, are why I'm about to try it. I keep looking at DAPs but a lot of them have hodge-podged together navigation / UI it seems... Sorry for all the Hiby posts in a day - done now
St7_77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019   #94

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Telepathy.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019   #95

Rep Power: 0 Ripkon will become famous soon enoughRipkon will become famous soon enoughRipkon will become famous soon enoughRipkon will become famous soon enoughRipkon will become famous soon enoughRipkon will become famous soon enough

External hd 1tb with .flac files
Ripkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019   #96
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 304 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

i toggle between Pioneer P9 combo and different players - Clarion HX-D1 modded to Coax out, Alpine CDA 7939R modded to COAX out/Toss link, Digital player that supports FLAC/WAV, AIFF, APE, with COAX out - to HELIX DSP PRO. - This second setup with HELIX will be used in new system....say goodbye to CDs

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
LBaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019   #97
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 93 CarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enoughCarGuru will become famous soon enough

Tidal Hi-Fi (24/192k) on iPhone > Audioengine B1 bluetooth receiver > digital optical > Audison Bitone > AD Link (Cat 5s) > Voce amps.

The DAC and thus volume control is done in the amp, individually for each channel.

Signal is everything
CarGuru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement