Clamshell Isobaric Transmission Line (T-Line) - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018   #1

Rep Power: 0 Thealterdave will become famous soon enoughThealterdave will become famous soon enoughThealterdave will become famous soon enoughThealterdave will become famous soon enoughThealterdave will become famous soon enoughThealterdave will become famous soon enough

Default Clamshell Isobaric Transmission Line (T-Line)

Okay, so I'm a noob here, but I have been in the CarAudio game for decades. I am always drawn toward set-ups that are "out of the box"(no pun intended).
I have a pair of L7 15's sitting around and I've decided to put them in my truck on a Massive D8000.
Has anyone played with T-Line boxes and run their subs isobaric? I can't dedicate enough space for both, but it doesn't seem like I will have to make any changes to the design, to run the subs isobaric.
Am I right? Or does the Fs change when subs are run iso?
Anyone have any thoughts?
Thealterdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018   #2

Rep Power: 0 Thealterdave will become famous soon enoughThealterdave will become famous soon enoughThealterdave will become famous soon enoughThealterdave will become famous soon enoughThealterdave will become famous soon enoughThealterdave will become famous soon enough

Oh yeah...
I've got an 04 Ram, standard cab with a blow through. I've run four Alpine Type-R 10's in a bandpass, then 4 RE Audio 12's ported and most recently 3 of the L715's sealed.
One of the downsides to the L7 is the cone mass overmatches the motor, so they're sloppy as hell and now that I'm old, I want SQ instead of pure SPL. Isobaric should resolve that particular issue, by my logic.
My calculations give me a line with 144 sq. Inches area and about 8 1/2 feet long.
Old 11-10-2018   #3

Rep Power: 29 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Clamshell Isobaric Transmission Line (T-Line)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealterdave View Post
One of the downsides to the L7 is the cone mass overmatches the motor, so they're sloppy as hell and now that I'm old, I want SQ instead of pure SPL. Isobaric should resolve that particular issue, by my logic.
No. Isobaric will double the motor strength AND cone mass. You'll just be losing half of your cone area while somewhat increasing control from the smaller "enclosure".
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018   #4

Well, that's kinda my thinking.. Two times the cone mass, sandwiched between the two motors, with a small cushion of air, should give a lot more cone control=better sound reproduction. The T-line should give the 15s a lot more flat frequency response...
Hopefully, anyway..lol
Old 11-11-2018   #5

Rep Power: 15 openglcg will become famous soon enoughopenglcg will become famous soon enoughopenglcg will become famous soon enoughopenglcg will become famous soon enoughopenglcg will become famous soon enoughopenglcg will become famous soon enough

I know the moving mass of the drivers themselves would just combine. You should benefit from the air load being about half though.
openglcg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2018   #6

Rep Power: 29 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, that's kinda my thinking.. Two times the cone mass, sandwiched between the two motors, with a small cushion of air, should give a lot more cone control=better sound reproduction. The T-line should give the 15s a lot more flat frequency response...
Hopefully, anyway..lol
I still think they'll be sloppy, but I've never fooled with a T-line enclosure. I just don't have much faith in Kicker, they seem to be stuck in the 90's with their technology. I used to love them, but everyone else in the mainstream has surpassed them.
Old 11-12-2018   #7

Totally agree about Kicker, not my 1st choice either, for sq. The house needs a roof, Christmas is around the corner and other crap.... Adulting...
These have been in my shed, collecting dust for a cple years and I got them because they fit a 'look' I wanted, the shape of the back and were for a special project, then I changed direction. I killed one, had three. The equipment is what it is, I'm trying to work design. The Massive 8k is not the power I would prefer, but will do the job.
Old 11-12-2018   #8

I'm wiring the subs now, should be able to test in the shop tomorrow. Enclosure is maaaaassive.
Old 11-12-2018   #9

Quote:
Totally agree about Kicker, not my 1st choice either, for sq. The house needs a roof, Christmas is around the corner and other crap.... Adulting...
These have been in my shed, collecting dust for a cple years and I got them because they fit a 'look' I wanted, the shape of the back and were for a special project, then I changed direction. I killed one, had three. The equipment is what it is, I'm trying to work design. The Massive 8k is not the power I would prefer, but will do the job.
I understand completely. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2018   #10

Quote:
I'm wiring the subs now, should be able to test in the shop tomorrow. Enclosure is maaaaassive.
Photos please
Old 11-12-2018   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 75 unix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Post some pics please!

Current build (almost completed) -> 2017 Mustang GT PP, Zapco DC series amps & DSP, all active - dual 18" Fi IB3 Subwoofers in IB.

Version 2: Zapco LX 6 A/B for mains, Zapco Z3K D for 12" Sundown Z12 in IB, miniDSP C68 integrated with custom micro to OEM processing and controls...
unix_usr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2018   #12

Here are a couple during assy. Thing has a nice clear, flat response. Can't really get the full effect till I get it in the truck tho. Lol
Sounds pretty awesome so far tho...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181113_182452_1542151606518.jpg (1.74 MB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20181113_182425_1542151619514.jpg (1.76 MB, 68 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Thealterdave For This Useful Post:
openglcg (11-14-2018)
Old 11-13-2018   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 107 seafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura about

^^^ Dammmmmmmm, Dude... I am NOT particularly a bass head, but I REALLY want to hear that monster!!!! NICE work!!!!

That being said, I might suggest quite a bit more cross bracing on the long side walls!!!

"THE BASS OF THE PEOPLE IS THE GOD OF GOD"
seafish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 224 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Why is the box so enormous?

A isobaric transmission line for two of these should be around 1.5 - 3 cubic feet:

https://www.kicker.com/15-l7-subwoofer

One of the challenges with isobaric subwoofer designs is that you reach a point where the box is so small, you can't even fit the woofer in it.

Isobaric loading doesn't do anything big to the frequency response or 'control' of the cone. It just makes the box half as big and it simultaneously raises your power handling by two (because there's two voice coils, not one.)

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018   #15

12V Company:
Friday's Car Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 16 moparnut will become famous soon enoughmoparnut will become famous soon enoughmoparnut will become famous soon enoughmoparnut will become famous soon enoughmoparnut will become famous soon enoughmoparnut will become famous soon enough

Actually using the isobaric set would not make the box smaller. It allows you do use the double the speaker and power in an enclosure sized for one. Tlines by design are large enclosures and his calculations are about right. My Tline for one 12 took up 6 cubic ft.

Nice job on the enclosure and it should really slam.
moparnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to moparnut For This Useful Post:
openglcg (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 224 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparnut View Post
Actually using the isobaric set would not make the box smaller. It allows you do use the double the speaker and power in an enclosure sized for one. Tlines by design are large enclosures and his calculations are about right. My Tline for one 12 took up 6 cubic ft.

Nice job on the enclosure and it should really slam.
A properly sized transmission line should be about as large as a vented box. On the upper end, it should be about twice as big.

Kicker recommends a vented box of 3 cubic feet.

So an isobaric tline for this woofer should be around 1.5 - 3.0 cubic feet. (Since an isobaric vented box would be 1.5cubic feet.)

Keep in mind, nearly every video on Youtube and article on the SPL forums about building tlines are just flat-out wrong. We didn't have a way to model them until about 2003, and there are a zillion articles prior to that are just BS.

In particular, if you're building a tline and you're not factoring in the VAS, you will not get acceptable results.

Check this out: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...alignment.html

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
Old 11-15-2018   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 166 SSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Why is the box so enormous?

A isobaric transmission line for two of these should be around 1.5 - 3 cubic feet:
The enclosure volume should be around 1.5 cubic feet. The port still needs to be the quarter wavelength at the tuned frequency (which agrees with your statement on the thread you linked "In a transmission line loudspeaker, the sound from the rear of the cone is transmitted through a quarter wave tube"). My guess, from looking at the photo, is that he is close to 1.5 cubes prior to considering the woofer's displacement (so the enclosure portion might actually be a little small). IMO that is the issue with Tlines in cars. At subwoofer freqs they are large unless you choke down the port volume and implement some fairly complex folds.

Traveling down the path to audio nirvana one painful step at a time...
SSSnake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SSSnake For This Useful Post:
openglcg (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018   #18

Well, I couldn't see a way the Fs was going to be effected by running the subs isobaric, so I went with standard calculations.
After testing out of the vehicle, I'm VERY pleased with frequency range. It pounds hard at 50hz and stays solid down to about 5hz. I'm anxious to see how it performs in the truck, but I'm about two weeks away from getting to test that.
Old 11-15-2018   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

Looks like it sounds pretty good and is working for you so far. From the pics it didn't look like a lot of line length for a 15". How much line length did you end up with again? I must always calculate T Lines wrong. Even when I played with 8", I ended up with these huge boxes on paper and could never justify taking my whole hatch up.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 50 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

A properly sized transmission line should be about as large as a vented box. On the upper end, it should be about twice as big.
The main metric in a transmission line is length, which is related the frequency.
So a 6" and a 15" sub, both tuned to 20 Hz, would both be the same length.

The diameter or cross section and hence the volume is usually not smaller than than speaker's cross sectional area.
Holmz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2018   #21

My total line length is 8.5 feet and the area is 144 sq inches.
Im very please with it so far.
Old 11-16-2018   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Hey Dave, I ran your box through hornresp. Here's the results:

First off, this is the response of Kicker's published box. This is a 3 cubic foot vented box. It's a real "one note wonder", Kicker is clearly tuning it high so that it's louder than it would normally be. Might be cool for an SPL car but probably would be obnoxious for music.

Here's the frequency response of the box you built. It plays lower than the vented box and the peak isn't as big. Because the box is bigger, the efficiency is higher than the vented box.

You can smooth out the response by changing it from isobaric to a single woofer. Here's what that would look like.

In my humble opinion, the easiest way to improve a transmission line is to mount the woofer offset, and taper the line. If you do that, you'll get a response like this.

Here's the specs on a tapered offset transmission line for a pair of your woofers

Here's a diagram. The tline is ten feet long and it starts out at 93 square inches and tapers down to half that at the exit.

All in all, I think your box turned out well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Bateman For This Useful Post:
openglcg (11-17-2018)
Old 11-19-2018   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 juba will become famous soon enoughjuba will become famous soon enoughjuba will become famous soon enoughjuba will become famous soon enoughjuba will become famous soon enoughjuba will become famous soon enough

people disregard isobaric quickly and somewhat understandably with the several disadvantages but the isobaric bass and mid bass I have heard I will never forget best I have heard ever.

Reduced box size for s nice,
Doubling quantities of woofers for same output costly

Might be something to do with even order distortion cancelling out.
Attached Images
File Type: png ECD80449-9936-4C84-B9EE-0D058FCA18D0_1542617894648.png (3.87 MB, 17 views)
juba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24

Rep Power: 0 Butrdtost will become famous soon enoughButrdtost will become famous soon enoughButrdtost will become famous soon enoughButrdtost will become famous soon enoughButrdtost will become famous soon enoughButrdtost will become famous soon enough

Question Re: Clamshell Isobaric Transmission Line (T-Line)

Okay so... I read through your topic and I think I misunderstood the isobaric config halving thing. (Sorry not trying to hijack badass looking box btw!)
If i've got a single woofer that needs 29.493 in2 for a single sub if i'm running 2 isobaric sets ie 2 woofers in clamshell does that mean I still only need 29.492?

I'm asking b/c I just spent hours doing a design for them and did it with double the port area (58.986 in2) X-D
If so I guess I need to buy 4 more subs or start over again lol
Butrdtost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement