Report: is closed cell foam the right material to decouple mass loaded vinyl? - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2018   #26
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 54 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Report: is closed cell foam the right material to decouple mass loaded vinyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post

Velcro itself has almost no spring-like properties since it is designed to be fairly rigid, so it would not help to decouple the vinyl if used with 100% coverage. However, I think you're suggesting use velcro to hang it on the edges and leave the rest of the vinyl floating which is the recommendation I tried to make in the conclusion. If the vibration along the edge of the vinyl is "far" away from the middle of the vinyl where it is floating, the vibration isolation is excellent.
We should know the stiffness without numbers, but it probably is non linear and very stiff with no movement.

Do I conclude that I want it to hang, or do I still want a layer of something else under it?
And do I still want neoprene layer for the Velcro to attach to?
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2018   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Wave Shepherd

Rep Power: 277 Justin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Report: is closed cell foam the right material to decouple mass loaded vinyl?

I was trying to recommend letting the vinyl float and not be firmly attached where possible, such as the vertical surfaces on the inside of door trim panels.

Beyond that, it would be ironic if I tried to recommend a certain rule of thumb since the conclusion of this experiment was to disprove a certain rule of thumb. I do not yet have anything better to replace it with other than be practical with both your time and money in terms of what you enjoy about this hobby.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard (help you tune a dsp)
Master's Degree in Acoustics at Penn State (20% complete)
Justin Zazzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Zazzi For This Useful Post:
Holmz (12-20-2018)
Old 02-15-2019   #28

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

I figure this is a good place to ask this considering it's a similar subject.

Whats your thoughts on FG enclosures like spare tire sub boxes where the box hugs the exact dimensions of the vehicle? In regards to resonance and vibration transfer to the body. Would putting down CCF before laying the Fg be useful or no?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019   #29

Rep Power: 79 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
I figure this is a good place to ask this considering it's a similar subject.

Whats your thoughts on FG enclosures like spare tire sub boxes where the box hugs the exact dimensions of the vehicle? In regards to resonance and vibration transfer to the body. Would putting down CCF before laying the Fg be useful or no?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Hey Jscoyne2,

I havent done a fiberglass enclosure but I will say that coupling the sub box to the vehicle helps with the sensation of bass throughout the vehicle, especially in the lower octaves because it transfers vibrations to the structure which you will feel. Now obviously you donít want rattles so that is where using something like CCF along with typical sound deadening methods might help.

Iím no expert but have experimented with this and in my opinion it does make a difference. I will let the fabrication experts chime in on the CCF specifically though.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Wave Shepherd

Rep Power: 277 Justin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's all about goals. If you enjoy feeling the bass then by all means clamp that enclosure to the car and have fun. Also, the more you bolt it down the less it can become a projectile if you're ever in a crash.

If you want to float it and decouple it, you have the same challenge as mass loaded vinyl. You should find a decoupling material that is soft enough to isolate it, relative to how heavy it is. Most materials used in car audio do not have published stiffness values so the only advice I could offer is grab something like a set of rubber anti-vibration mounts from an industrial supply company, something used to isolate small power generators or small machinery. Those are usually specified with stiffness or with how much weight they are designed to decouple and at what frequency etc..

I doubt any of that would work for a custom molded enclosure like a JL Audio Stealthbox because they are designed to be fitted exactly one way and you'll have a crazy challenge trying to do something different. Even if you could fit something squishy between the box and the car, it still gets clamped to the car with bolts so that defeats the purpose of trying to float it.

A much much easier thing would be to mount two speakers opposing so they cancel the vibrations of eachother and then you don't need to worry about anything else.

See the Sonos home subwoofer for example:

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.

Last edited by Justin Zazzi; 02-15-2019 at 07:29 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Zazzi For This Useful Post:
Truthunter (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019   #31
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,171 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

I do my best to totally decouple enclosures from the car as much as possible. The last thing you want to do is transfer the vibration from the enclosure to the rest of the car.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019   #32

Rep Power: 84 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

For large home theater subwoofers I use 3 layers of 1/8Ē rubber from Tractor Supply (roll) interspersed with a pair of 1/2Ē plywood sheets. For a car Iíd probably try thinner rubber like maybe multiple layers of the rubber used for drawer liners. And you can also get rolls of cork at a hardware or office supply.

And if youíre trying to do a complex shape, you might want to look into cans of Plastidip or Flexseal that can be applied with a brush, which would give you a rubberized coating. Maybe you could use strips of cork above that and even apply them while the rubber is wet so the cork is adhered, which would provide some spacing/isolation for your enclosure. But as soon as you bolt the enclosure to the car, unless you use an isolation mount, youíre going to transfer vibrations into the cars structure.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019   #33

Rep Power: 0 sazabi2001 will become famous soon enoughsazabi2001 will become famous soon enoughsazabi2001 will become famous soon enoughsazabi2001 will become famous soon enoughsazabi2001 will become famous soon enoughsazabi2001 will become famous soon enough

Hummm, find this just before I re-do all my car interior. Does this means I'd better use 3M Thinsulate rather than CCF + MLV?
sazabi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019   #34

Rep Power: 79 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Feeling the bass as well as hearing it is an important part of the equation. High end theaters use bass shakers for this very reason because the sensation of bass is just as important as hearing it. Sound traveling through air also loses energy much faster than it does traveling through a solid. I deal with that when we design buildings and donít want sound to travel through walls or floors. In those cases, decoupling the walls is more effective than adding mass or insulation to increase the STC ratings. I also renovated the Bose research and development building years ago and learned a lot. Those engineers do some amazing shit in that building. My crew was the first to construct a sound room for them that didnít rattle in years.

In car audio, the school of thought is ďwe donít want rattlesĒ and from an installers point of view I can understand this as you donít want customers coming back complaining about a rattle in the door or similar. For me, the trick is to couple the subwoofer to the structure of the vehicle AND deaden all the rattles that it might produce. The above mentioned securing the box down to prevent that the box from becoming a skull crushing projectile in an accident is also important and obviously when you do this youíve just coupled the box to the car. Build a fiberglass enclosure, even with foam between the car metal and sub box and guess what, youíve just coupled the box to the frame of the car. I think you guys do it all the time and may not even know you are coupling the box to the car. Itís a balancing act between rattles and feeling the bass. Going with huge cone area and thousands of watts is another way to feel the bass too but that costs much more.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2019   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Wave Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazabi2001 View Post
Hummm, find this just before I re-do all my car interior. Does this means I'd better use 3M Thinsulate rather than CCF + MLV?
Please re-read the last sentence of the conclusion.

Old 06-28-2019   #36

Rep Power: 0 reburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enough

I'm a little confused by the testing & report... that the MLV samples were 1.5" square, and the wavelength of the sound frequency is long, on the order of feet. The MLV functions to deflect with the sound pressure, and by virtue of internal coulomb friction turn that displacement energy into heat and not just act as a fixed mass against an undamped CCF spring? Would we see much different results from a large coupon? I only have questions, not answers!
reburns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reburns For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (07-02-2019), YeahWhatever (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019   #37

Rep Power: 0 fftfk will become famous soon enoughfftfk will become famous soon enoughfftfk will become famous soon enoughfftfk will become famous soon enoughfftfk will become famous soon enoughfftfk will become famous soon enough

New project this weekend - angrily rip out all of the ensolite I painstakingly applied to my whole car!!!!

Great job on the research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fftfk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #38

Rep Power: 0 Bosanek will become famous soon enoughBosanek will become famous soon enoughBosanek will become famous soon enoughBosanek will become famous soon enoughBosanek will become famous soon enoughBosanek will become famous soon enough

If I might add a question to this debate:

If most of MLV sheet's surface is secured to a vertical panel (like a plastic trim card on a side door) using glue or plenty of velcro strips, I don't see a need to use any decoupler between the MLV and the trim card.
The only way for MLV to vibrate in that setup is if the entire trim card would vibrate with it, and that would take a lot of force to "excite".

Is this thinking correct?

By the way, has anyone used an automotive-grade glue (example: roof upholstery glue) instead of velcro strips to secure an MLV sheet to a vertical surface? Did it hold up in the long term?
Bosanek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 304 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for taking time to complete this research and educate uneducated

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
LBaudio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement