Tuning help in Indianapolis needed badly - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 Selkec will become famous soon enoughSelkec will become famous soon enoughSelkec will become famous soon enoughSelkec will become famous soon enoughSelkec will become famous soon enoughSelkec will become famous soon enough

Default Tuning help in Indianapolis needed badly

Hello everyone. I posted months ago about needing help tuning and am now about to give up! I have Audison mids, midbass, and image dynamic tweeter. B2 audio amps, and a jl twk88. I can not get a good flat response to start with. I am doing everything and tried everything. Just trying to get left vs right mid to match is impossible. I use rew. And Input what is says and the jl does now respond properly. I have learned that I must half the Q when making negative corrections which is weird but in another forum and in a video someone proved that to be true. Is there anyone in Indiana or near Indianapolis that can help me please? Before I rip all this out. I been trying for 4 months straight and at least 2 hours a day everyday!!!!!!

Kenwood 9904s w/idatalink maestro
Front- image dynamics ctx65cs Rear- Jl 5.25 components. Amps- Two Hertz Hcp2x, temporary sub amp precision power trax1.3000d. Subs- Dayton audio ultimax 10” x2
Selkec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019   #2

Rep Power: 6 Zardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Tuning help in Indianapolis needed badly

Skizer was doing remote tunes for people. You may try to contact him.
Zardnok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 146 AVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enough

Tom Myers 12velectronics
Ben Zimmerman (bennyz)

2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition - OEM Radio - Arc Audio PS8-50 & X2 1100.1 - Arc Audio RS 1.0 3.0 6.0 - AudioFrog GB10D2
2013 Dodge Avenger - Windows Surface and Sony GS9 - Arc Audio PS8PRO - Clarion Old s'kool amps - Audio Frog GB10 GB40 GB60 GB10D2 - Wirez Signature - Ohio Gen Alternator - Odessey Clone Batteries
AVIDEDTR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019   #4

Rep Power: 0 Selkec will become famous soon enoughSelkec will become famous soon enoughSelkec will become famous soon enoughSelkec will become famous soon enoughSelkec will become famous soon enoughSelkec will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys. I’ll try to contact them.

Front- image dynamics ctx65cs Rear- Jl 5.25 components. Amps- Two Hertz Hcp2x, temporary sub amp precision power trax1.3000d. Subs- Dayton audio ultimax 10” x2
Old 05-03-2019   #5

I have a decent tune in it now. Have a good centered image... but I know it can get better. I have tried different xover settings, and every other thing. The response the jl twk gives after inputting what rew says is not always correct I may lower 1758hz by -1.7 and q of 2.8 and 869 may raise or lower or anything random may happen! Some other days I can make a small adjustment and it reacts how I think it should. I almost think the jl twk is just garbage and am going to try to get a helix. I have spent 3+ hours at a setting tuning and have had some amazing sounding tunes only to come out in the morning and it sounds like total ass! Even though all the settings look the same I’ll then take out rew and sure enough The response looks like garbage! And back to square one I have learned to now make a copy of whatever settings then do my tweaking in the copy so if it messes up screw it.

Old 05-04-2019   #6

Rep Power: 7 Adrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enough

So many questions..... What is your source unit? What mic are you using? Is it calibrated? How are you setting the mic up? What directions are you following? What are the crossover settings? What is the vehicle? Are you trying to tune to flat for a reason or are you using a house curve?

I think that the Audio Frog tutorial is always a good place to start. It really simplifies some of the process with good explanations. I think you should try some manual tuning rather than an auto tune and see if you can get the response curve you want. It isn't that hard to follow Andy's instructions to get yourself a base tune to start.
Adrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019   #7

I’m using a Umik with calibration file and REW... tweets crossed over at 3400, mids about 260 and 3000 or 3200, midbass 90-200 Sub crossed at 67.5 using LR24 It does sound better leaving gaps in the crossovers. And I am following the audio frog tutorials. Using Jazzi house curve. I have tried the downward slopes but do not like the sound. I listen at real high volumes most of the time. And like it crisp. 6.5 audison voce in bottom of doors. The doors have sound dampening on outside skin. Another in the inside skin where the speaker is. The door panel is sealed. 6.5 is attached with a wood ring and have modeling clay around it also. My midbass sounds really good!!! 3” are about halfway up the door and on a part that’s angled upwards a little bit. About knee high. They image right in the center of my windshield. Right now have 1” image dynamics in sails. They are facing towards each other but angled inwards a little bit. (Stock location) I have VW CC. I have a kenwood excelon 9905s Going thru the JL twk88 . Then highs off B2 1200.6 and skar subs off a B2 2500.1
Future plans to get audison voce 1.1 tweet, seas prestige, scanspeak illuminator (If I hit lottery) or hertz ml tweet. Want to keep in sail panel area as I have never done fiberglass. May make or buy pods so they can be aimed.
Install has two runs of 1/0 to rear to a second small battery. Good grounding. stinger RCA the (white series)

It sounds good but I really need someone that knows what to listen for to make adjustments. Also I plan to get a Helix in near future as it has a lot more eq.

My biggest issue is using the REW suggested inputs etc. -1.7 at 3217 q-5 the jl will not always respond as if I had entered those values. First the q has to be cut in half. And that was verified in another forum and there is a yoi tube video demonstrating this... figuring that out helped a lot! But sometimes I may cut -3 at say 8650 and it will possibly raise another frequency. It sometimes does random things like that.
Is that the cuts and boosts just interacting with each other and normal?

I would love to drive and meet someone in the area and get some advise and just soak up the knowledge!!!
I actually saw a post somewhere if another person in Indianapolis that was asking for help and he too has B2 audio and audison What’s the odds of that lol

Old 05-06-2019   #8

Could some of you post what your RTA graphs look like?

Old 05-09-2019   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 36 Curt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enoughCurt D will become famous soon enough

Drive the 3 hours to see Benny Z. I drove 2 hours and dropped the car off at Mobile Audio Plus for some upgrades and Ben will tune after it’s wrapped up.
Curt D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019   #10

Think I will just wait and get a Helix then worry about getting it right The Jl twk88 Just Can’t get it done in my car
The midrange response are so off from each other I need alot more bands to eq them close. I have tried about 100 times from scratch... would it help if I made some wood rings to angle them more on axis? They are currently knee high in my doors on an angeled part of door that’s about 30-35 degrees

Old 05-11-2019   #11

Anyone have any suggestions

Old 05-11-2019   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,613 Times in 1,121 Posts
Rep Power: 442 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

I offer remote tuning and will be doing sessions again in the beginning of June

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkec View Post
I’m using a Umik with calibration file and REW... tweets crossed over at 3400, mids about 260 and 3000 or 3200, midbass 90-200 Sub crossed at 67.5 using LR24 It does sound better leaving gaps in the crossovers. And I am following the audio frog tutorials. Using Jazzi house curve. I have tried the downward slopes but do not like the sound. I listen at real high volumes most of the time. And like it crisp. 6.5 audison voce in bottom of doors. The doors have sound dampening on outside skin. Another in the inside skin where the speaker is. The door panel is sealed. 6.5 is attached with a wood ring and have modeling clay around it also. My midbass sounds really good!!! 3” are about halfway up the door and on a part that’s angled upwards a little bit. About knee high. They image right in the center of my windshield. Right now have 1” image dynamics in sails. They are facing towards each other but angled inwards a little bit. (Stock location) I have VW CC. I have a kenwood excelon 9905s Going thru the JL twk88 . Then highs off B2 1200.6 and skar subs off a B2 2500.1
Future plans to get audison voce 1.1 tweet, seas prestige, scanspeak illuminator (If I hit lottery) or hertz ml tweet. Want to keep in sail panel area as I have never done fiberglass. May make or buy pods so they can be aimed.
Install has two runs of 1/0 to rear to a second small battery. Good grounding. stinger RCA the (white series)

It sounds good but I really need someone that knows what to listen for to make adjustments. Also I plan to get a Helix in near future as it has a lot more eq.

My biggest issue is using the REW suggested inputs etc. -1.7 at 3217 q-5 the jl will not always respond as if I had entered those values. First the q has to be cut in half. And that was verified in another forum and there is a yoi tube video demonstrating this... figuring that out helped a lot! But sometimes I may cut -3 at say 8650 and it will possibly raise another frequency. It sometimes does random things like that.
Is that the cuts and boosts just interacting with each other and normal?

I would love to drive and meet someone in the area and get some advise and just soak up the knowledge!!!
I actually saw a post somewhere if another person in Indianapolis that was asking for help and he too has B2 audio and audison What’s the odds of that lol

You're supposed to measure all the speakers independently at their full working ranges to get an idea of where to cross over. Don't cross them over at places you just think are good because the car's interior plays a big role in the response curve of each speaker.

Clarion NX807, Audison Bit One, Audison Voce 5.1k, Audison Voce Quattro, Scanspeak R3004 1", Focal Utopia 3w2 Be 3", Hybrid Audio L6SE 6.5", Image Dynamics IDQ10v4 10" x2

Last edited by tonynca; 05-14-2019 at 02:38 PM..
tonynca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019   #14

I am measuring them independently. Even measured them to see their full range and see what their frequency roll off was. I’m meeting up with another member tomorrow to go over my system and see how he tunes his.

Old 05-15-2019   #15

Rep Power: 50 Chris1320 will become famous soon enoughChris1320 will become famous soon enoughChris1320 will become famous soon enoughChris1320 will become famous soon enoughChris1320 will become famous soon enoughChris1320 will become famous soon enough

I live in Indy toonand was in the same boat. I went to Benny Z in Bloomington Il. Which I highly recommend. But that remote tuning would be incredible, plus save a whole day of driving. That’ll probably be my next move if I add some mid ranges. I’ve went and talked to about every local shop and none of them have a clue. Which I don’t know how to do it either, but you’d think a shop selling processors should know how to tune them 🙄
Chris1320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019   #16

Rep Power: 30 SlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1320 View Post
I live in Indy toonand was in the same boat. I went to Benny Z in Bloomington Il. Which I highly recommend. But that remote tuning would be incredible, plus save a whole day of driving. That’ll probably be my next move if I add some mid ranges. I’ve went and talked to about every local shop and none of them have a clue. Which I don’t know how to do it either, but you’d think a shop selling processors should know how to tune them 🙄
Was that Mobile Audio Plus? I'm going to give a try at tuning myself, but I'll take my car to them if I can't figure it out. Prices are pretty reasonable.
SlvrDragon50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019   #17

Rep Power: 50 Chris1320 will become famous soon enoughChris1320 will become famous soon enoughChris1320 will become famous soon enoughChris1320 will become famous soon enoughChris1320 will become famous soon enoughChris1320 will become famous soon enough

Yep that’s them
Chris1320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement