Need help tuning active setup! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 skeptikal will become famous soon enoughskeptikal will become famous soon enoughskeptikal will become famous soon enoughskeptikal will become famous soon enoughskeptikal will become famous soon enoughskeptikal will become famous soon enough

Default Need help tuning active setup!

Hello everyone! I've finally gotten my stereo installed and cannot get it really dialed in to save my life. I've run the Auto TA/EQ on the 80prs, but the highs are still quite bright, and I feel like the vocals are quite muddy at higher volume.

So with the setup below.. how the hell should I go about tuning this?

Flat DEH EQ -> Gain/Xovers on amps -> Auto TA/EQ???
Flat DEH EQ -> Auto TA/EQ -> Gain/Xovers???

Mids/Highs
PPI 900.4 (4-channel mode)
2x Image Dynamics XS65 mids
2x Image Dynamics XS28 tweets

Sub stage --
Wolfram 1500.1 @ 1 ohm
2x Sundown Audio SA-12 @ 1 ohm
skeptikal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 28 Nik_Ind will become famous soon enoughNik_Ind will become famous soon enoughNik_Ind will become famous soon enoughNik_Ind will become famous soon enoughNik_Ind will become famous soon enoughNik_Ind will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Need help tuning active setup!

Lots of info on here, man! In your case, I would leave the headunit alone, and start from scratch. First set the gains, and then crossovers on the amplifier. Leave everything on the 80prs flat/off. See how you like the setting with changes made at the amplifier level, and then fine tune with the EQ (Bass-mid-treble-fader) on the 80prs. I don't have knowledge on the headunit as such, but I'd leave the auto TA function alone; since, I remember having read somewhere that it really messes up the tonality of the system.

Maybe the others can help more particularly with this headunit. Cheers!

'17 Ford Mustang GT Front- AudioFrog GS10- 4" Focal ES100K- SI TM65 mkIII
Rear Fill- SO Audio 165 2.8
Subwoofer- 2 Rockford 10" P2D4s
Amp/DSP- Helix V Eight DSP (F/R fill)- Audison SR1dk (subs).
Nik_Ind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019   #3

Rep Power: 47 Ifixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enough

I have the 80prs and this is all backwards.

The auto T/A does a near perfect job, use it.

Sit in the driver seat with the mic taped to your forehead. Tilt the seat back a couple inches so the mic is where the center of your head is normally.

This will get the best auto results, but auto EQ still won't be the greatest.

The crossover network is powerful on the 80prs, having crossover options is one of the main advantages of going active.

Set all your amp crossovers to off or full-band.

You'll need to experiment with crossovers, but a good place to start is:

SUB: LPF 80HZ 24DB
MID: HPF 80HZ 24DB - LPF 2.5K 24DB
HIGH: HPF 2.5K 24DB

Edit: looks like those tweets like 3k.
Try 3k / 3k or 2k /3k with a more shallow slope.

I have my sub set at 63hz / 24db.

The auto EQ is far from ideal, manual EQ is way better, even with a cheap mic you can plug into your phone.

I also found the highs were too bright when I tried it, and it was boosting some mid-range frequencies into distortion.

A umik -1 and REW are golden for dialing in your EQ.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Subaru Legacy SQ build
Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Alpine MRD-M500 - 2 JL Audio 12W3v3 | Rockford Fosgate Prime 300 @ 412 Watts RMS | SB Acoustics SB17MFC35 | Alpine Hiend 28mm tweeters

Last edited by Ifixtheinternet; 05-10-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Ifixtheinternet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 28 Nik_Ind will become famous soon enoughNik_Ind will become famous soon enoughNik_Ind will become famous soon enoughNik_Ind will become famous soon enoughNik_Ind will become famous soon enoughNik_Ind will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifixtheinternet View Post
I have the 80prs and this is all backwards.

The auto T/A does a near perfect job, use it.

Sit in the driver seat with the mic taped to your forehead. Tilt the seat back a couple inches so the mic is where the center of your head is normally.

This will get the best auto results, but auto EQ still won't be the greatest.

The crossover network is powerful on the 80prs, having crossover options is one of the main advantages of going active.

Set all your amp crossovers to off or full-band.

You'll need to experiment with crossovers, but a good place to start is:

SUB: LPF 80HZ 24DB
MID: HPF 80HZ 24DB - LPF 2.5K 24DB
HIGH: HPF 2.5K 24DB

I have my sub set at 63hz / 24db.

The auto EQ is far from ideal, manual EQ is way better, even with a cheap mic you can plug into your phone.

I also found the highs were too bright when I tried it, and it was boosting some mid-range frequencies into distortion.

A umik -1 and REW are golden for dialing in your EQ.

My apologies! Was merely trying to help him out, but made sure I mentioned that I had no idea about the 80prs.

OP, please ignore my post. Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to Nik_Ind For This Useful Post:
Ifixtheinternet (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019   #5

Rep Power: 47 Ifixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik_Ind View Post
My apologies! Was merely trying to help him out, but made sure I mentioned that I had no idea about the 80prs.

OP, please ignore my post. Cheers!
No, I'm sorry, that did come off as a bit rude!
Definitely want to start from scratch, everything needs to be revisited when moving to an active setup.

Get the criticals verified first.
Make sure all the speakers are in the same phase. Don't trust the terminals, speakers have been internally wired backwards before.

Use "polarity checker" app to verify all speakers are at 0 phase, including subs.

Then do gains, then T/A, then level match drivers.
The 80prs will play clean to 61/62 volume on all frequencies, provided you aren't boosting any frequencies, which I don't recommend.

Subaru Legacy SQ build
Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Alpine MRD-M500 - 2 JL Audio 12W3v3 | Rockford Fosgate Prime 300 @ 412 Watts RMS | SB Acoustics SB17MFC35 | Alpine Hiend 28mm tweeters
The Following User Says Thank You to Ifixtheinternet For This Useful Post:
Nik_Ind (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 367 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree that the auto TA is pretty good, but I still think you can get it better by setting the distances manually. It may not make a big difference, so it wouldn't hurt to run the auto calibration and see. The auto EQ on the other hand never gave me very good results, but luckily you can override the EQ while leaving the TA alone. Every Pioneer deck I've used (880PRS, 80PRS, and P99RS) all needed serious work on the high frequencies after running the auto tune, all of them left the tweeters way too high.

I highly recommend setting your crossovers before running the auto tune, don't trust the auto tune to do that.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Definitely want to start from scratch, everything needs to be revisited when moving to an active setup.

Make sure all the speakers are in the same phase. Don't trust the terminals, speakers have been internally wired backwards before.

Use "polarity checker" app to verify all speakers are at 0 phase, including subs.

The 80prs will play clean to 61/62 volume on all frequencies, provided you aren't boosting any frequencies, which I don't recommend.

No sweat, bud! It's all good. We're all just helping each other out. Cheers

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 skeptikal will become famous soon enoughskeptikal will become famous soon enoughskeptikal will become famous soon enoughskeptikal will become famous soon enoughskeptikal will become famous soon enoughskeptikal will become famous soon enough

Quote:

So I set everything flat, set the gains on the amp (still kind of by ear, nothing scientific) and ran the auto TA/EQ.

The Auto TA was an INCREDIBLE step up and now the stage seems to be a bit more full. The auto EQ definitely produced some pretty piercing highs, but a simple -1 tweak made quite a bit of difference.

Definitely need some more tweaking but I don't have a mic or anything right now. Sounds pretty decent by ear for now until I can get it tuned.

Future plans

- 320a Mechman alt
- 1 or 2 more 1/0 runs
- Big 3 (or 4 whatever) upgrade
- Custom fiberglass under the back seat. Currently a FoxAcoustics Dual 12 ported.

DEH-80prs
Image Dynamics XS65 / XS28
PPI 900.4
Sundown Audio SA-12 (x2)
Wolfram 1500.1
skeptikal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,119 Posts
Rep Power: 442 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptikal View Post

- 1 or 2 more 1/0 runs.
150% unnecessary with your setup

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

You can sort out you're left / right EQ without a mic.

Create mono sine wav tones at each interval of EQ on the prs (300, 500 etc.) Use audacity or another free program to create them.

Then as you play each tone, cut the left or right side EQ for that frequency on the stronger side until you get the tone coming from the center of the windshield.

Skip 125 and below.
The higher frequencies are more difficult.

If you find yourself cutting nearly all of one side over the other, you should probably lower the level on that side one notch and start again.

I think this method actually works better than with a mic anyway.

For your final house curve, you'll definitely need a mic.

Subaru Legacy SQ build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement