Subwoofer Gremlin - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 TacoVA2633 will become famous soon enoughTacoVA2633 will become famous soon enoughTacoVA2633 will become famous soon enoughTacoVA2633 will become famous soon enoughTacoVA2633 will become famous soon enoughTacoVA2633 will become famous soon enough

Question Subwoofer Gremlin

At a compete loss here on an odd electrical problem that I was going to pose to the DIY Mobile Audio community for any leads on a solution.

VEHICLE:
- 2017 Toyota Tacoma v6 without JBL

COMPONENTS AT PLAY:
- Hella Supertone horn wired directly to battery with fuse block and relay. Relay is attached to the OEM horn wire
- Hella Sharptone horn wired using OEM wiring

- JVC headunit
- Kicker Hideaway powered sub

ISSUE:
- When the Supertone horn is blown for more than just a "tap" then the JVC headunit will instantly increase to MAX volume with heavy, low frequency disturbances
**Does NOT happen if the Kicker powered sub is not powered on/disconnected
**Does NOT happen if the Sharptone horn is the only horn in use

Issue appears to be interplay between the Supertone horn and the subwoofer.

I have checked all grounds and took the steps to ground all components directly to the battery and each ground combination I attempt returns the exact same results.

QUESTION:
Does this still sound like a bad ground issue or a bad Hella horn? (ordered a new Hella horn already to test but not there yet)

None of the local stereo shops have any leads other than ground everything to the battery but that has not fixed the issue so far.....

Thanks for any and all leads!
TacoVA2633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019   #2

Rep Power: 48 Ifixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Subwoofer Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoVA2633 View Post
At a compete loss here on an odd electrical problem that I was going to pose to the DIY Mobile Audio community for any leads on a solution.

VEHICLE:

COMPONENTS AT PLAY:

- Hella Supertone horn wired directly to battery with fuse block and relay. Relay is attached to the OEM horn wire

- JVC headunit

ISSUE:

- When the Supertone horn is blown for more than just a "tap" then the JVC headunit will instantly increase to MAX volume with heavy, low frequency disturbances

I have checked all grounds and took the steps to ground all components directly to the battery and each ground combination I attempt returns the exact same results.

QUESTION:

Does this still sound like a bad ground issue or a bad Hella horn? (ordered a new Hella horn already to test but not there yet)

None of the local stereo shops have any leads other than ground everything to the battery but that has not fixed the issue so far.....

To me it sounds like something is wrong with the horn, where it is causing a heavy ground loop hum that makes it to the RCAs and creates the extra noise.

Is the music also amplified or just the distortion?
Can you try grounding the RCA Jacks on the HU to the chassis and see if that helps?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Subaru Legacy SQ build
Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Alpine MRD-M500 - 2 JL Audio 12W3v3 | Rockford Fosgate Prime 300 @ 412 Watts RMS | SB Acoustics SB17MFC35 | Alpine Hiend 28mm tweeters
Ifixtheinternet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Ifixtheinternet For This Useful Post:
TacoVA2633 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019   #3

Rep Power: 0 TacoVA2633 will become famous soon enoughTacoVA2633 will become famous soon enoughTacoVA2633 will become famous soon enoughTacoVA2633 will become famous soon enoughTacoVA2633 will become famous soon enoughTacoVA2633 will become famous soon enough

Hey @Ifixtheinternet - VERY much appreciate the feedback and leads to try and narrow this down.

The music and the distortion are both amplified and throws the headunit to max volume level for some reason. Seems worse when I have iPhone connected using Carplay. It impacts SiriusXM functionality but only a loud pop when the relay kicks in on the additional horn with minimal distortion.

I replaced the horns themselves with brand new ones and issue persists so it is definetly not the horn and somewhere else.

I am going to try and ground the RCAs as suggested and see if that helps. (Googling how to ground RCA now...)

The issue exists when the Hideaway powered sub is wired via direct speaker connect VS RCA so it seems to be impacting both wiring methods.

I have also ordered a ground loop isolator to plug into the RCA jacks in the hopes for a quick fix.

Pretty sure I will just have to trash the additional horn and learn to live with the anemic little horn.

I don't anticipate being able to get back to this until Sunday before Memorial day but will be sure to update with results.....

MANY THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

Old 05-21-2019   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 52 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Is the hella on a relay?
Or is it dumping to ground through the steering wheel?

Where are the volume controls? Are they also on the steering wheel too?

Maybe it is not wired as how I describe?
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019   #5

Hey @holmz - thanks for the input.

I left out a LOT of details on the first post as I was trying to keep it short for easier reading.

Here is how I have things setup:

- OEM horn replaced with Hella Sharptones that are using OEM Toyota wiring
- Additional Hella Supertones wired off of relay
- Relay blue wire is connected to OEM horn wire
- Relay power wire is connected directly to battery with inline fuse
- Relay ground wire is connected to factory ground point where battery is grounded
- Hella Supertone horns are both grounded to body panel using factory threaded insert with

- Kicker Hideaway is wired directly to battery with inline fuse
- Hideaway is grounded to body panel under dash in same place as factory ground
- Hideaway is wired to JVC headunit using Kicker RCA adapter that is soldered to the high-power speaker wires for the Hideaway
- **Hideaway wiring is all running under seat, along the drivers side doorsill and kickpanel. RCA, power, and ground all run alongside one another in parallel (see note below on intent to change the routing)

- JVC stereo is wired to Maestro RR iLink
- Maestro allows volume controls on steering wheel to control head unit

- ALL grounds have paint sanded off and have direct metal to metal contact

STEPS TAKEN SO FAR:
- Regrounded Supertones to frame and then direct to battery
- Grounded Hideaway directly to battery with Supertones grounded to body panel
- Grounded Hideaway directly to battery with Supertones grounded directly to battery
- Wired Hideaway to front speaker wires and removed RCA connections
- Replaced Supertones with brand new Supertones

NEXT SERIES OF TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:
- Ground the RCA cables as suggested by @Ifixtheinternet and test
- Install inline RCA ground isolator and test
- Ground the JVC headunit chassis to a factory ground spot (this has NOT been done....black ground wire on JVC unit is soldered to the black ground wire on the Meastro wiring harness)
- Separate the Hideaway speaker/RCA wiring from running alongside the power and ground cables. RCA wiring will take a separate path from the power and ground to help isolate that pathway

I VERY much appreciate the help from this forum as I have run out of ideas and not sure where else to turn. I can always remove the second Hella horn and leave well enough alone but this is now a challenge for me to have my cake and eat it too.....last resort will be to see if a compact air horn will work in place of the secondary Hella Supertone for safety

Unfortunately I will not be able to dive back into this for a few days or another week but I will keep this forum updated on steps taken and results in case anyone else runs into similar issues.
Old 05-23-2019   #6

Rep Power: 32 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoVA2633 View Post

VEHICLE:

COMPONENTS AT PLAY:

- JVC headunit

ISSUE:

QUESTION:

Is there an automatic volume function (like Pioneer's Automatic Sound Levelizer)? A function like that could certainly be set off by a loud horn, it automatically increases volume and bass in response to louder ambient noise.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement