Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/)
-   Technical & Advanced Car Audio Discussion (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/)
-   -   Ported 6.5" Peerless SLS (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/418047-ported-6-5-peerless-sls.html)

E.Murray 05-29-2019 03:12 PM

Ported 6.5" Peerless SLS

1 Attachment(s)
I have an odd application. It's a very small car with no room for a sub. The biggest box/sub combo anybody has made is a .6 cu. ft. that will take a 10". That gets somewhat acceptable bass response and is good enough for most people.

But here's the twist: lots of these cars have a 4-point harness bar which cuts through the space where the 10" would go. For all those folks, if you have the harness bar, you deal with the 2 6.5" drivers behind the seats and 2 5.25" drivers in the dash and forego any sub bass at all. But with the harness bar in place, there is room for an array of 6.5" drivers below it. I could fit up to 5 total (including the 2 spaces on the ends where the stock drivers go). I modeled it with 4 Peerless SLS in a ported box and it looks like you could have decent sub bass and all the midbass you could ever want. See the attached graph. The green line is a JL 10TW3 in the .6 cu. ft. box on 650W. The blue line is 4 SLS taking up the same volume (including ports) on 450W.

As a side note, the other difficulty with the car is that the stock elecrtical system isn't the greatest, so feeding 650W to a sub and another 200W to the 6.5" is asking a lot. If I can replace it with 450W feeding the 4 SLS 6.5", that's a bonus.

So here's the question. Assuming I highpass the dash drivers at 160Hz, what problems would I have if I just ran the 4 Peerless drivers to cover sub bass and midbass up to 160? Sound localization should still be ok (enough) at 160, so the loss of stereo info wouldn't be terrible, right? I'm playing with ideas to see what the best solution would be. Any suggestions are welcome.

Jroo 05-29-2019 03:55 PM

Re: Ported 6.5" Peerless SLS

In your situation, I think you have to go for it. The graph looks good but I think you will have localization at 160hz. Will it be horrible, probably not but. You did not mention processing or not and I think you will certainly tell where the midbass is picking up with out a little T/A.

E.Murray 05-29-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jroo (Post 5706823)
In your situation, I think you have to go for it. The graph looks good but I think you will have localization at 160hz. Will it be horrible, probably not but. You did not mention processing or not and I think you will certainly tell where the midbass is picking up with out a little T/A.

I will be using a dsp. Should have included that detail. Thanks for the reply.

Focused4door 05-30-2019 08:08 PM

Will the ports fit? This is often a headache in small boxes.

If you could get the dash to play lower I would consider a bandpass since it makes for a shorter port due to the relatively higher tuning frequency.

LBaudio 06-04-2019 05:49 AM

from my experience with ported midbass boxes, I would definitely give them a try. Put drivers as close as you can. Port opening facing toward kick panel area or to the floor work best. Position your drivers low and well in-front of you.
You should not have too many issues with localizing your mid-bass - well it is installed in front of you, drivers will stay omnidirectional up to 100-150 Hz, so no big deal....I got mine crossed at [email protected] 24/30 db/oct without any issues. Bass dig low enough to be subwoofer-less, and kick is quite brutal without subwoofer.