Redoing IB install, woofers forward or reverse? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2019   #1

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Default Redoing IB install, woofers forward or reverse?

I know it should not matter but with these particular woofers and the 3" baffle with only 5.5" depth i got to assume there is much more cone blockage than facing into the cabin.

Last edited by dcfis; 05-30-2019 at 08:23 PM..
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Redoing IB install, woofers forward or reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
I know it should not matter but with these particular woofers and the 3" baffle with only 5.5" depth i got to assume there is much more come blockage than facing into the cabin.

20ft + long wavelengths. It has zero effect which way you face it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jscoyne2 For This Useful Post:
dcfis (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019   #3

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

I agree 💯 but just shy to do it as it can't be reversed

Old 05-30-2019   #4

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I agree but just shy to do it as it can't be reversed
My IB is reversed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jscoyne2 For This Useful Post:
dcfis (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019   #5

Enthusiast

Thanks man, i think I'm going that way too
Old 05-30-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 189 mitchyz250f will become famous soon enoughmitchyz250f will become famous soon enoughmitchyz250f will become famous soon enoughmitchyz250f will become famous soon enoughmitchyz250f will become famous soon enoughmitchyz250f will become famous soon enough

I reversed my 15" sub reverse with the magnet poking into the car. I built a 'pyramid shaped grill' over it out over expanded metal and wood and then covered every with subwoofer cloth. No one ever noticed it. That way the trunk space is not compromised in anyway. If I had to do it again I would do it the same way.
mitchyz250f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019   #7

Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks man, i think I'm going that way too
Clears the seat when up too.

Old 05-30-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 340 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there a possibility of some motor noise with being reversed if your seats are down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019   #9

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
Isn't there a possibility of some motor noise with being reversed if your seats are down?
I mean seats up is a little scary tbh haha. Like a trunk monkey trying to get out but the only motor noise I've noticed is at very high excursion and at that point..does it really matter?

Old 05-30-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 340 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

^^^Not in the slightest....lol.

Quote:
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Old 05-30-2019   #11

Rep Power: 21 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

Iíve got my IB sub with the magnet facing the front of the car and Iím very happy with it. Iíve been playing it for the past week without my rear seat backs installed and I havenít caught a hint of motor noise. Like the others, my motivation for setting it up this way was to maximize trunk space.

DDX9905s HU | MiniDSP | JL XD Amps | AE SBP15
Scan Be 3004-604010 | Esotar≤ 430 | JL ZR800
Chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 228 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

If you reverse one, and not the other, it reduces distortion.

Be sure to reverse the wiring on the woofer that's inverted, so that both drivers are in-phase.

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #13

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

Be sure to reverse the wiring on the woofer that's inverted, so that both drivers are in-phase.

Um. Proof?

Old 05-31-2019   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

That would seem to waste a lot of space. Although I guess you could make your baffle shaped like this:
HTML Code:
|
|
|
|_______
        |
        |
        |
        |
In which that might actually be pretty darn cool. Hmmmmmmm

Quote:

Last edited by Niebur3; 05-31-2019 at 09:04 PM..
Old 05-31-2019   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 44 AyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enough

Iíd put the side you want to see the most where youíd see it the most

AyOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #16

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
Clears the seat when up too.

Fi? Thanks so much for the help guys
Old 05-31-2019   #17

Enthusiast

Quote:
Fi? Thanks so much for the help guys
Yup. Fi ib3 15. Ive got a build log of just the sub stage. You can find in my started threads

Old 06-02-2019   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 163 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

Having the subwoofers in opposite orientation on the baffle does lower distortion, any non linearities aka "distortion" will cancel.
Eric Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stevens For This Useful Post:
Niebur3 (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 113 tonny will become famous soon enoughtonny will become famous soon enoughtonny will become famous soon enoughtonny will become famous soon enoughtonny will become famous soon enoughtonny will become famous soon enough

In that area you will have probably more distortion from the car then from the speakers it self...
tonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019   #20

Rep Power: 0 robjamell will become famous soon enoughrobjamell will become famous soon enoughrobjamell will become famous soon enoughrobjamell will become famous soon enoughrobjamell will become famous soon enoughrobjamell will become famous soon enough

The rear of many drivers is noisier due to exposing the motor structure. In turn, if your driver is close to ear shot, that can be a problem in some circumstances. Some driver's motors are just nosier than others.
robjamell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019   #21

Enthusiast

Well I'm really sick of saw dust. Things are coming along but way slower and with little problems here and there. Like always.

Hopefully it's worth it
[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190605_113732.jpg (777.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20190605_111337.jpg (1,021.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by dcfis; 06-05-2019 at 02:41 PM..
Old 06-05-2019   #22

Enthusiast

Pics aren't showing for me
Old 06-05-2019   #23

Rep Power: 0 drphilb will become famous soon enoughdrphilb will become famous soon enoughdrphilb will become famous soon enoughdrphilb will become famous soon enoughdrphilb will become famous soon enoughdrphilb will become famous soon enough

I am doing an IB install on a 2013 Genesis ,2 HAT 15's and so I built it out with 2 rings for the screw plates and then 4 rings attached to the board all 3/4" . All together (7) 3/4 boards. this puts the woofer back about 4.5 inches from the baffle board.

The main objective is to ensure that you know the MAX extension so it does not hit any metal or object to interfere with the movement of the cone and also that you seal the front of the cab to the rear of the cab.

You want the front wave in the cab and the rear wave venting out the truck if all possible
drphilb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 228 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
Um. Proof?

In this example, second harmonic distortion is reduced by nearly 90% and fourth harmonic is reduced by about 50%

Note that 3rd and 5th are untouched, because push-pull has no effect on odd-order distortion.

Push-pull is a no-brainer, unless you enjoy the sound of distortion. Which is perfectly reasonable, distortion *can* sound good.

My home subs are TC Sounds 15" in a push-pull bandpass. I sometime can't tell if they're on, they're REALLY clean.

from here: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...-compared.html

Calculating distortion percentages is a headache by the way. According to my calculator, the 2nd harmonic in the conventional subwoofer is 25%, and in the push pull it's 3%, a reduction in distortion of 88%

One of the interesting things about subwoofers is that the harmonic distortion can sound louder than the fundamental, because subwoofers produce so much damn distortion, and our hearing mechanism is much more sensitive at high frequencies than low. So when your sub plays 60hz, the 2nd harmonic at 120hz may be more audible.

And note that your crossover makes no difference; it doesn't reduce distortion, it simply filters out the fundamental.

Calculator here: THD to dB - convert percent % to decibels dB percentage voltage % vs per cent converter THD+N total harmonic distortions calculation signal distortion factor attenuation in dB to distortion factor k in percent decibel damping - sengpielaudio Sengpiel

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 06-07-2019 at 08:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Bateman For This Useful Post:
dcfis (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
That would seem to waste a lot of space. Although I guess you could make your baffle shaped like this:
HTML Code:
|
|
|
|_______
        |
        |
        |
        |
In which that might actually be pretty darn cool. Hmmmmmmm
Like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=w+frame+subwoofer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement