Minidsp CDSP-DL 8x12 Dirac live upgrade or new release help - Page 30 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2019   #726

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,336 Times in 610 Posts
Rep Power: 26021 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Default Re: Minidsp CDSP-DL 8x12 Dirac live upgrade or new release help

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku View Post
Any tips on this? it seems to be the biggest issue with mine, I either end up with way too much (when combining the sub with L / R) or way too little (with the sub on it's own channel).
Itís hard to know for sure. It could be the curve or it could be an issue DL canít correct (such as a phase issue in the crossover region or an enclosure related issue).

I'd start with what you're telling DL to correct. What do the raw response measurements of your left and right midbass and your sub look like (with your selected crossover engaged, and also without them)? Now, when you play them all together what do you measure in REW? Maybe there's something going on there that needs to be addressed before you tell DL to go to work.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019   #727

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 95 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Hey Erin. Did you test to see if the cdsp will use any other mics other than the umik

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2019   #728

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 26021 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. I can if no one else does, though.

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 07-30-2019   #729

Rep Power: 26 Robot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enough

Random question in the middle of this thread So I just picked up my CDSP and before I spend the $330 on the upgrade I wanted to ask - does anyone out there regret spending the $$$ for DL?
Robot Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2019   #730
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 148 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
Hey Erin. Did you test to see if the cdsp will use any other mics other than the umik

Only works with UMIK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2019   #731

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 95 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Chicken View Post
Random question in the middle of this thread So I just picked up my CDSP and before I spend the $330 on the upgrade I wanted to ask - does anyone out there regret spending the $$$ for DL?
Nope

Old 07-30-2019   #732
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

For beginners and intermediate users I doubt you could tune better than DL.

Clarion NX807, Audison Bit One HD, Audison Voce 5.1k HD, Audison Voce Quattro HD, Focal Utopia M 3-way (TBM, 3.5WM, 6WM), Dynaudio Esotar 1200
tonynca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2019   #733

Rep Power: 26 Robot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enoughRobot Chicken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynca View Post
For beginners and intermediate users I doubt you could tune better than DL.

I will never be a professional at tuning (I don't have the patience for hours with REW) but I do love great sound!! Thanks for the comments all - guess I will take the plunge.

Gone are the days when a 5 band EQ in the dash with a happy face made of the sliders was called SQ - guess i am dating myself
Robot Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2019   #734
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Chicken View Post
I will never be a professional at tuning (I don't have the patience for hours with REW) but I do love great sound!! Thanks for the comments all - guess I will take the plunge.

Gone are the days when a 5 band EQ in the dash with a happy face made of the sliders was called SQ - guess i am dating myself

Read the beginning of this thread. Try to skim through the entire thing if you can. You will get the most out of that $366.

Clarion NX807, Audison Bit One HD, Audison Voce 5.1k HD, Audison Voce Quattro HD, Focal Utopia M 3-way (TBM, 3.5WM, 6WM), Dynaudio Esotar 1200
tonynca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2019   #735

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 98 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynca View Post
Read the beginning of this thread. Try to skim through the entire thing if you can. You will get the most out of that $366.

Thereís also 366$ of me being a jerk somewhere along the way.

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to oabeieo For This Useful Post:
tonynca (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019   #736

Rep Power: 31 Redliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enough

Oabeieo helped me set up my helix mini tonight and I have found audio bliss. He took time out of his day to do amazing things for me and my setup the dude is shear genius. Not to mention his Fit with no subs sounded absolutely sick with what he called just a "so so" tune. We will be meeting up again again to hear it after his next step and some tuning so I can get mind blown again

Redliner99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redliner99 For This Useful Post:
naiku (07-31-2019), oabeieo (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019   #737

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 98 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Thanks,

Canít go wrong with frogs, zapco and helix .
Alex system turned out nice. Want to work on gains a little ,
Check your input gain on helix thatís what we forgot. But F it you have no noise
It sounds really nice. Could just roll with it as is. But it also might be worth a peak to see if your helix has a input gain, if so crank it up a little more and gain amps down a little note

For as high as we had those gains not a speck of noise , that zapco is impressive for that I must say. Most amps would be singing the alternator song

Old 07-31-2019   #738
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 57 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
Thereís also 366$ of me being a jerk somewhere along the way.
Me too, and during a leap year to boot.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Holmz For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019   #739

Enthusiast

Stay on topic guys

Old 07-31-2019   #740
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 163 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Was just looking at some of the measurements I had taken on a pair of presets I have loaded...

1 - 4 channel Dirac (Left Front inc Sub, Right Front inc Sub, Left Rear, Right Rear)
2 - 5 channel Dirac (Left Front, Right Front, Left Rear, Right Rear, Sub)

Number 1 above the sub is too much, if I look at the Dirac measurement 30Hz is 8.1dB, 40Hz about 10dB and 50Hz is about 8.4dB. An average of about 8.8dB across the range.

Number 2, the sub level is barely noticeable, 30Hz is 3dB, 40Hz 4.4dB and 50Hz 3.8dB, average of about 3.7dB across them.

What's interesting is that when making the sweeps, I am 99% sure that the subwoofer levels were the same for both, even if they were not exactly the same (due to me trying to get as much subwoofer output in the sweep as possible) they have never been 5dB different. At most 1-2dB difference with me slowly increasing the sub to get it measuring as loud as possible without clipping. Not sure if it all means anything, but just something I had noticed.

Some old luggage

naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to naiku For This Useful Post:
Truthunter (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019   #741
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 36 oliverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enough

I have a few great tunes now. But I am still having issue with getting my sub integrate fully. I still hear my sub coming from behind me on some songs. Esp for those with lots of very Low bass content. Pop rock is pretty much ok. I tried Dirac tunes with per channel per driver and also my current preferred 3 Dirac channel with one each for left and right and one Dirac channel for sub. I even tried one 3
Dirac channel with TA on each individual driver. Still facing the problem.

From the Dirac tab I see that it delays the left and right about the same amount as my measurement or my previous amount when using another dsp. So everything looks correct. In my previous audison bit one HD with and without apl1 I could get sub to be in front of me totally in front.

I am using LR24 at 80hz for my sub and mid bass. Does this mean I need to start experimenting with a steeper slope? Is there a change in measuring method to help with this issue?
oliverlim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to oliverlim For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019   #742

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim View Post
I have a few great tunes now. But I am still having issue with getting my sub integrate fully. I still hear my sub coming from behind me on some songs. Esp for those with lots of very Low bass content. Pop rock is pretty much ok. I tried Dirac tunes with per channel per driver and also my current preferred 3 Dirac channel with one each for left and right and one Dirac channel for sub. I even tried one 3

From the Dirac tab I see that it delays the left and right about the same amount as my measurement or my previous amount when using another dsp. So everything looks correct. In my previous audison bit one HD with and without apl1 I could get sub to be in front of me totally in front.

I am using LR24 at 80hz for my sub and mid bass. Does this mean I need to start experimenting with a steeper slope? Is there a change in measuring method to help with this issue?
Check midbass and sub summing via a mic. Sub or a midbass may be out of phase.
Old 08-01-2019   #743
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 rockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to rockinridgeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim View Post

If you measure sub and midbass separately with rew, where do the response curves cross?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

2018 911 GTS - OEMHU, ZEN, Helix DSPPro, Zapco AP150.4's, Morel Piccolos/Hybrid4's/SW9's, 10"JL TW1
2019 Grand Cherokee - OEMHU; Helix DSP Pro; Zapco AP150.6, 150.2, 400.2; Dyn Esotar2 3way; JL 12W6V3 x 2; AF GB25 rr fill
rockinridgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019   #744
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 57 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner99 View Post
Oabeieo helped me set up my helix mini tonight and I have found audio bliss. He took time out of his day to do amazing things for me and my setup the dude is shear genius. Not to mention his Fit with no subs sounded absolutely sick with what he called just a "so so" tune. We will be meeting up again again to hear it after his next step and some tuning so I can get mind blown again
Did he also mitigate the ground loop hum?
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019   #745

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Did he also mitigate the ground loop hum?
It had no noise.

The zapco gains were dam near pegged and you had to put you ear on the tweeter to hear noise

His car sounded good and tuned easily. No noise

But I did space the fact that the mini6 has a input gain. Alex thinks thatís for analog in only heís usb in ? But his usb almost seems like the headphones jack in iPhone because volume is unlocked on the phone and it wonít charge with camera adapter.

Iíll have to get him back for a 2nd session but for what we did in 3hrs his car is very nice sounding.

Old 08-01-2019   #746

Rep Power: 31 Redliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
It had no noise.

The zapco gains were dam near pegged and you had to put you ear on the tweeter to hear noise

His car sounded good and tuned easily. No noise

But I did space the fact that the mini6 has a input gain. Alex thinks thatís for analog in only heís usb in ? But his usb almost seems like the headphones jack in iPhone because volume is unlocked on the phone and it wonít charge with camera adapter.

Iíll have to get him back for a 2nd session but for what we did in 3hrs his car is very nice sounding.

I tested this very theory will make a new thread about it

Redliner99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Redliner99 For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (08-01-2019)
Old 08-04-2019   #747

Enthusiast

Any new developments?

Old 08-04-2019   #748

Bikinpunk

I've been doing some playing around but not a whole lot. I've got a skeleton of my review started but haven't had time to add to it since my last post last week since a) it is stupid hot and b) I've been busting my tail at work to get prepped for a big presentation at the end of the month.

I will say that I'm really impressed by what DL can do in ten minutes. I think for a newcomer it's a definite recommendation. And, if I'm being honest - based on some of the cars I've heard at everything from little ol' meets in someone's backyard all the way up to the cars at finals - some people who pride themselves on their tuning skills would legitimately be better served letting DL handle that task for them as well, assuming they don't have any weird issues that cannot be fixed at all. I hope to get this review wrapped up in the next few weeks so I can have all my experiences and thoughts rolled up in to a single post and maybe people can make an informed purchase decision based on that rather than me trying to post in various threads in the future.

BTW, I posted my results for the 'listening comparison experiment' you guys did and only Ian replied. I figured there would have been more talk about it given how vastly different some of the responses were vs what the tunes the files were recorded based on. Especially those cases where people thought #2 & #3 sounded completely different but were the same curve with the only difference being the number of mics used.

Time Delay Calculator:

Last edited by ErinH; 08-04-2019 at 05:19 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ErinH For This Useful Post:
GreatLaBroski (08-04-2019), oabeieo (08-05-2019), Truthunter (08-05-2019)
Old 08-04-2019   #749

Rep Power: 81 willis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enough

So is this thing light years above what an MS8 can do as far as tuning goes?
willis36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2019   #750

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis36 View Post
So is this thing light years above what an MS8 can do as far as tuning goes?
IMHO, for stereo tuning, yes.

But remember, the MS-8 was more than just a stereo auto tune. It had logic 7 capability with built in amplification.

Time Delay Calculator:
The Following User Says Thank You to ErinH For This Useful Post:
naiku (08-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement