Can a DSP overcome horrible speaker placement? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 92 Barbecue will become famous soon enoughBarbecue will become famous soon enoughBarbecue will become famous soon enoughBarbecue will become famous soon enoughBarbecue will become famous soon enoughBarbecue will become famous soon enough

Default Can a DSP overcome horrible speaker placement?

I have a near mint, bone stock EK Civic (except an Alpine CDE-HD138BT and Phoenix Gold amp) that I do not want to modify in order to improve speaker placement. Currently I have German Maestro 6.5 coaxial speakers in the front doors and the sound is pretty terrible since they are aimed at the shins of the driver and passenger.

Would getting a DSP and properly tuning make a dramatic improvement or am I limited by speaker placement?

I thought about kick panels but there doesn't seem to be much room with the clutch pedal being where it is.

I can't/won't modify the car beyond the head unit because it's one of the few EK Civics left on Earth that hasn't been riced out, rusted out, raced, or wrecked.
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Rep Power: 10 phroenips will become famous soon enoughphroenips will become famous soon enoughphroenips will become famous soon enoughphroenips will become famous soon enoughphroenips will become famous soon enoughphroenips will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Can a DSP overcome horrible speaker placement?

Depends what you're trying to improve. What is it about the current system that you don't like?

phroenips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

A DSP will help only if you know how to tune it. You need someone who knows what they're listening for. You will definitely be able to get the tonal balance right but if there are null spots due to bad speaker placement you will not be able to fix that. It will help out a lot though but don't expect to hear movie theater audio just because you got a DSP.

Clarion NX807, Audison Bit One, Audison Voce 5.1k, Audison Voce Quattro, Scanspeak R3004 1", Focal Utopia 3w2 Be 3", Hybrid Audio L6SE 6.5", Image Dynamics IDQ10v4 10" x2
tonynca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tonynca For This Useful Post:
Barbecue (2 Weeks Ago)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 92 Barbecue will become famous soon enoughBarbecue will become famous soon enoughBarbecue will become famous soon enoughBarbecue will become famous soon enoughBarbecue will become famous soon enoughBarbecue will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phroenips View Post
Depends what you're trying to improve. What is it about the current system that you don't like?
1. The sound coming out of the passenger speaker sounds louder than the driver side speaker. Had to adjust balance +2 to the left to sound remotely balanced.

2. The vocals do not sound at all like they are coming from in front of me. It just sounds vague. I have no rear speakers connected.

3. Overall, everything except the bass notes has a hollow type of sound to it. It's hard to explain but I can tell you it's not very pleasing to the ear. I am not even that picky when it comes to sound.

The car is 20 years old and bare bones. It feels like a tin can when driving compared to a modern car. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 50 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

"Vague" or "Hollow" sound could be that one of the speakers has the phase 180 degrees out...

I would be checking that first.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Holmz For This Useful Post:
Barbecue (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Rep Power: 10 phroenips will become famous soon enoughphroenips will become famous soon enoughphroenips will become famous soon enoughphroenips will become famous soon enoughphroenips will become famous soon enoughphroenips will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
1. The sound coming out of the passenger speaker sounds louder than the driver side speaker. Had to adjust balance +2 to the left to sound remotely balanced.

2. The vocals do not sound at all like they are coming from in front of me. It just sounds vague. I have no rear speakers connected.

3. Overall, everything except the bass notes has a hollow type of sound to it. It's hard to explain but I can tell you it's not very pleasing to the ear. I am not even that picky when it comes to sound.

The car is 20 years old and bare bones. It feels like a tin can when driving compared to a modern car. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Since you have coaxial speakers, the first thing I would try (assuming you haven't already), is to set the time alignment available in the CDE-HD138BT. That will help make the signals from left and right reach the listening position at the same time.

Looks like that head unit also has a 9-band parametric EQ. Buy or maybe borrow a calibrated mic, and tune it with REW. You might still need to use the balance feature to get a centered image.

From there, if the staging/imaging isn't improved, I don't think there's much else a full fledged DSP would do in that regard, in your situation. A DSP would let you EQ left and right channels separately, but one of the biggest benefits of a DSP (in my opinion) is being able to set delays for a fully active component setup, where tweeters and mids are in different locations.

If you still wanted to try a DSP, the Dayton DSP-408 is an affordable option. I have it in one of my vehicles (the 4Runner in my signature), and I'm pleased with it.

phroenips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to phroenips For This Useful Post:
Barbecue (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post

2. Time alignment and matching the resp curve of the left and right speakers with a DSP will fix that.

3. Make sure you wired the speakers up properly. Negative and positive to negative and positive on the amp. Trust me, people mess this simple step all the time. If that's all good, that hallow sound is comb filtering. Your left and right speakers are interacting with each other and creating valleys within the freq response. This usually is not noticable at higher freqs 1khz+, but anything lower than that you'll hear it.

That car is a tin can. You won't be able to seal the sound in without lots of sound deadening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarion NX807, Audison Bit One, Audison Voce 5.1k, Audison Voce Quattro, Scanspeak R3004 1", Focal Utopia 3w2 Be 3", Hybrid Audio L6SE 6.5", Image Dynamics IDQ10v4 10" x2
tonynca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tonynca For This Useful Post:
Barbecue (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 301 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

DSP is not ment as bandaid for bad install/inappropriate driver placement/orientation. There will be difference in a positive way, but without any miracles.

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
LBaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to LBaudio For This Useful Post:
Barbecue (2 Weeks Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement