How to tune while seated in car? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 76 WinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enough

Default How to tune while seated in car?

My SB17MFC woofers are mounted in my Civics stock location: Low in my front doors. So when I'm in my car my left leg is in front of the woofer.
So I'm guessing tuning while seated will give me the best results.
But how can I mount the mic where my head is?

Another question. I usually drive with my window slightly open. I'm guessing this affects the cabin gain. Anyone ever tested how a slightly open (about 5 cm) window affects the sound?
WinWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Rep Power: 38 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinWiz View Post
My SB17MFC woofers are mounted in my Civics stock location: Low in my front doors. So when I'm in my car my left leg is in front of the woofer.
So I'm guessing tuning while seated will give me the best results.
But how can I mount the mic where my head is?

Another question. I usually drive with my window slightly open. I'm guessing this affects the cabin gain. Anyone ever tested how a slightly open (about 5 cm) window affects the sound?
Don't mount the mic. Are you running sweeps from REW or playing pink noise? If your using pink noise you move the mic around your head. There a set of YouTube videos by Kyle Ragsdale for tuning. He shows how he moves the mic.

He shows you at about 5:20 into the video. I recommend watching them all though. I learned allot from all these.

https://youtu.be/KEFwrH2L3Aw
Mahapederdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 76 WinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enoughWinWiz will become famous soon enough

Thanks for guiding me to these videos, will def. Watch all of them when I get time.
The way he swings the mic around he's head seems a little random. I faintly rember reading a guide by hanatsu where he averaged several results measured around left and right ear, this ways seems a little more accurate.
I also noticed Kyle was seated with a laptop, wouldn't the laptop also influence the sound reflections?

Last edited by WinWiz; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:56 AM..
WinWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 65 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How to tune while seated in car?

I've mentioned this in other threads...

I use pink noise & RTA. I found measuring sweeps at many different points and averaging does not give consistant results and takes WAY to long.

I don't swing the mic around my head like in the videos. I do a slow tight figure 8s around one ear (takes about 10-15 seconds) then I quickly swing the mic around the front of my face to the other ear & do the same. Each ear gets the figure 8s twice which ends being about 1 minute or ~80 averages. This way the mic is near your ears longer than it is swinging around the front of your head - more of the measurement is at the ears and averaged that way. This method has given me very consistant positive results.

:Edit: - Yes having a slightly open window definitely affects the measurements especially in the lower octaves.

"Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

2015 Camry Build Log
Truthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Truthunter For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 92 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Moving mic averages produces the best Sonic results for setting an eq

You can get sweeps to average just as good , it takes longer tho and a lot of sweeps (at least 28 per channel)

The nice thing about sweeps is you can time align the measurements and than average them, than gate the response and see what the speaker is doing vs the room. Than you know what parts not to use eq on.

However for a fast tune just to get it sounding good quickly, moving mic rta.

Also donít do seperate left and right eq , eq everything together than listen

If you eq the left from the right separately youíll more likely to make a de-correlation filter , where left and right are no longer phase coherent. It will destroy the ability to have a proper stage.

After you eq left and right together, than look at left and right seperate on rta and see what the differences are , make changes to one or the other one change at a time and listen and make sure the stage doesnít decooralate or the center doesnít vanish. Work them one at a time some will de-correlate some wonít , only make the change if itís worth it.

Best of luck

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Rep Power: 40 JH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post

I use pink noise & RTA. I found measuring sweeps at many different points and averaging does not give consistant results and takes WAY to long.

I don't swing the mic around my head like in the videos. I do a slow tight figure 8s around one ear (takes about 10-15 seconds) then I quickly swing the mic around the front of my face to the other ear & do the same. Each ear gets the figure 8s twice which ends being about 1 minute or ~80 averages. This way the mic is near your ears longer than it is swinging around the front of your head - more of the measurement is at the ears and averaged that way. This method has given me very consistant positive results.

:Edit: - Yes having a slightly open window definitely affects the measurements especially in the lower octaves.
Yup,I went to pink noise and RTA ditching the sweeps.Way better overall.

"Rumors of Bob but never Bob.........So what is it you tell people you do these days Bob?"
JH1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Pink noise with the mic waved around my giant skull here too. Seems to work good and the averaging is close enough for me.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Tread lightly-you never know what someone is going through until you have to walk in their shoes
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 145 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

The downside to pink noise and moving the mic around is that there is no background noise rejection when you use that method. Everything the mic hears will be part of your measurement.

If you do impulse response sweeps and take multiple sweeps per mic location, and then average them together you will have better noise rejection. With enough temporal averages on IR sweeps you could have a jackhammer running outside the car and not have it mess with your measurements.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Rep Power: 38 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
The downside to pink noise and moving the mic around is that there is no background noise rejection when you use that method. Everything the mic hears will be part of your measurement.

If you do impulse response sweeps and take multiple sweeps per mic location, and then average them together you will have better noise rejection. With enough temporal averages on IR sweeps you could have a jackhammer running outside the car and not have it mess with your measurements.
I didn't know you could run gated measurements in the car. So many close reflections. I used to run sweeps but pink noise is so easy.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,125 Posts
Rep Power: 442 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post

i agree with this.

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 145 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

I don't use REW anymore. Been running SysTune Pro and Smaart for a few years now. I am able to do transfer function with pink noise, sweeps or music on multiple mics simultaneously, which really speeds up the process. I get spatial averaging in real time without having to move mics. Can watch the EQ results in real time as I adjust them. Same thing with delays. I can watch the Live IR and move it with delays in real time.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

I was thinking about making a fixture to move the mic but was worried about how to hook up a motor without affecting the results. I'm always looking for arduino and raspberry pi projects.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 41 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
I don't use REW anymore. Been running SysTune Pro and Smaart for a few years now. I am able to do transfer function with pink noise, sweeps or music on multiple mics simultaneously, which really speeds up the process. I get spatial averaging in real time without having to move mics. Can watch the EQ results in real time as I adjust them. Same thing with delays. I can watch the Live IR and move it with delays in real time.
That sounds pretty cool. Taking any trips to San Diego in the near future?
Bnlcmbcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement