What real-world conditions do to a pair of Image Dynamics ID X69 woofers - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 957 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

Default What real-world conditions do to a pair of Image Dynamics ID X69 woofers

This won't be pretty, folks. This is actually the second set of ID X69's I've had to pull from a vehicle and replace, due to water and environmental damage.

This set is from the 2016 Colorado I built and later sold to my father. Since I'm staying with him in Overland Park for the next couple months, I saw fit to give him an early Father's Day gift and replace the ruined speakers with some Audiofrog GS690's.

Coil is jutted outward, turns out the coil gap shifted and the coil jumped out, never to return.

In goes the Audiofrogs, 3 years old after being in my Durango and they still look and function like new.

I had ID's in the Durango before swapping to Audiofrogs for the exact same reason.

Moral of the story: Image Dynamics speakers sound amazing, but are not suitable for in-door mounting. This is an expensive mistake to make! My only hope is that Stevens Audio speakers are more robust. I like to think they would be but literally, time (and weather) will tell.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019   #2

Rep Power: 10 ajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: What real-world conditions do to a pair of Image Dynamics ID X69 woofers

Wow, that's pretty unfortunate. Was there any kind of protection behind the speaker?

I got a pair of those foam baffles that I plan on cutting up to make a splash guard out of, hoping that they will help out in some way.
ajt976 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 957 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: What real-world conditions do to a pair of Image Dynamics ID X69 woofers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt976 View Post
Wow, that's pretty unfortunate. Was there any kind of protection behind the speaker?

I got a pair of those foam baffles that I plan on cutting up to make a splash guard out of, hoping that they will help out in some way.

No protection, never used any before (ha... 2 kids!)

Seriously though, no baffles on these. Not to plug Audiofrog but the difference in 3 years time in a door is obvious. One was made to take it, one certainly was not!

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's

Old 06-11-2019   #4

Rep Power: 42 ManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enough

I had a very similar experience with my ID x65s.
But they did have a great midrange
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019   #5

Rep Power: 10 ajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
No protection, never used any before (ha... 2 kids!)

Seriously though, no baffles on these. Not to plug Audiofrog but the difference in 3 years time in a door is obvious. One was made to take it, one certainly was not!
Yea, I did end up finding a pair of GS690s to put in my doors, just figured a little extra protection couldn't hurt.
ajt976 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt976 View Post
Yea, I did end up finding a pair of GS690s to put in my doors, just figured a little extra protection couldn't hurt.

I agree, it definitely could not hurt.

Old 06-12-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 162 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Moral of the story: Image Dynamics speakers sound amazing, but are not suitable for in-door mounting. This is an expensive mistake to make! My only hope is that Stevens Audio speakers are more robust. I like to think they would be but literally, time (and weather) will tell.
So this was a problem I dealt with early in the life of the XS series and the fix was simple and easy. The issue is the cone, if it gets wet it deforms and pulls the voice coil upwards. Its the same for all sizes.

The fix was rather simple and cheap, a water proofing coating like 3M Scotchgard appiled to both sides of the cone and prolem is cured. I know of marine installations that are still working great after 10 years.

So if these were from the original production and not sprayed with water proofing that would explain it. if newer that means they stopped completing this process.

Stevens Audio are water proof and will not deform under any circustances.
Eric Stevens is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Stevens For This Useful Post:
GreatLaBroski (06-12-2019), Lanson (06-12-2019), rton20s (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stevens View Post
So this was a problem I dealt with early in the life of the XS series and the fix was simple and easy. The issue is the cone, if it gets wet it deforms and pulls the voice coil upwards. Its the same for all sizes.

The fix was rather simple and cheap, a water proofing coating like 3M Scotchgard appiled to both sides of the cone and prolem is cured. I know of marine installations that are still working great after 10 years.

So if these were from the original production and not sprayed with water proofing that would explain it. if newer that means they stopped completing this process.

Thank you, Eric. This adds to my confidence in continuing to recommend your drivers! Are all your Stevens drivers waterproof, including the MB8?

Old 06-12-2019   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 114 kanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enough

So a can of 3m Scotchgard fabric protector will protect the speakers? Dang, mine are new, but who knows if they have any protective spray... better safe than sorry!

Plus I can use the extra for my shoes.

Thanks for the heads up solution.

2016 Ford F150 Supercrew Sport: Soundstream Ref 5.1000 (Front High +sub) - Soundstream RN4.1400D(Rear and MB) - DSP 408 - Audio Control DQXS - JL 12TW3 - Image dynamics XS28 + X69, Scanspeak 10f, CTX65 (rear).
kanadian-kaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019   #10

Rep Power: 59 jdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Does the 3m scotch guard impact the overall performance of the speaker? I don't see it doing much but was just curious.

I have a set of xs-65's in my wife's car from 2015. I need to do some work on the door so I will pull the speakers and scotch guard them just to be safe! Thanks for the tip!

2014 F150 Limited -> Factory HU programmed for 4v outputs -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, SI TM65 mk3, & JL TW3. Rears: SB17's. Resonix 35% CLD and 100% CCF, 100% MLV, Soon: PDX-F6 and SI M3 in Valicar Stuttgart pods
jdunk54nl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I was also thinking about neverwet or ultra everdry, same thing. They use a hydrophobic "paint" and nothing sticks.

I doubt it would effect the sound in any meaningful way. The door panel alone probably causes more changes to the response, let alone the cabin of the car. IMO.

Old 06-12-2019   #12

Rep Power: 59 jdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I was also thinking about neverwet or ultra everdry, same thing. They use a hydrophobic "paint" and nothing sticks.

I doubt it would effect the sound in any meaningful way. The door panel alone probably causes more changes to the response, let alone the cabin of the car. IMO.
Ya, I doubt it will do much compared to other things in the car environment, but still wanted to be aware if I am impacting performance in any way.

I still plan on doing it no matter what though, I am not going to risk $400 in speakers.

2014 F150 Limited -> Factory HU programmed for 4v outputs -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, SI TM65 mk3, & JL TW3. Rears: SB17's. Resonix 35% CLD and 100% CCF, 100% MLV, Soon: PDX-F6 and SI M3 in Valicar Stuttgart pods
jdunk54nl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunk54nl View Post
Ya, I doubt it will do much compared to other things in the car environment, but still wanted to be aware if I am impacting performance in any way.

I still plan on doing it no matter what though, I am not going to risk $400 in speakers.

plus your time to diagnose and resolve!

Old 06-12-2019   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
GreatLaBroski (06-12-2019)
Old 06-13-2019   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 162 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunk54nl View Post
Does the 3m scotch guard impact the overall performance of the speaker? I don't see it doing much but was just curious.

I have a set of xs-65's in my wife's car from 2015. I need to do some work on the door so I will pull the speakers and scotch guard them just to be safe! Thanks for the tip!
zero effects on the sound.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stevens For This Useful Post:
jdunk54nl (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019   #16

Rep Power: 8 Furyan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enough

Did you sell the Durango?
Furyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019   #17

Rep Power: 50 glockcoma will become famous soon enoughglockcoma will become famous soon enoughglockcoma will become famous soon enoughglockcoma will become famous soon enoughglockcoma will become famous soon enoughglockcoma will become famous soon enough

I did the old 3m waterproof spray mod to my silver flutes without any issues.
glockcoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyan View Post
Did you sell the Durango?

Yup, traded it in on an ILX for my wife. Payments were wrecking us with just one income atm.

Old 06-14-2019   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Quote:
Thank you, Eric. This adds to my confidence in continuing to recommend your drivers! Are all your Stevens drivers waterproof, including the MB8?
Yes, all have water proof cones and the spiders are Conex so they can withstand the moisture in a door or outdoor environment. They arent intended for actual wet operation though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement