Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/)
-   Technical & Advanced Car Audio Discussion (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/)
-   -   IB sub placemement (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/418519-ib-sub-placemement.html)

downwind4final 06-14-2019 07:43 AM

IB sub placemement

The OE system has a 8.5" opening on the rear deck for an OE sub. I have a 12" sub suitable for IB with a 9" cone area. My plan is to build a "step-down" spacer (12"-8.5") and mount the sub there.
Can I get away with not enlarging the hole without causing any issues? Basically, a 12" sub firing through an 8.5" hole.

Jimi77 06-14-2019 09:24 AM

Re: IB sub placemement

You'll probably be fine. I've fired 10 & 12s thru 6x9 holes with no issues, but those were not high excursion subs.

gijoe 06-14-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downwind4final (Post 5712733)
The OE system has a 8.5" opening on the rear deck for an OE sub. I have a 12" sub suitable for IB with a 9" cone area. My plan is to build a "step-down" spacer (12"-8.5") and mount the sub there.
Can I get away with not enlarging the hole without causing any issues? Basically, a 12" sub firing through an 8.5" hole.

Yes, the opening is plenty, but you still really want a baffle behind the rear seats. The point of IB is to separate the rear wave from the from wave using a baffle that prevents the rear wave from getting into the cabin. Unless your rear seats are backed by a lot of metal, the rear wave will easily pass through the seat foam.

What kind of car is this going into? What materials are there between the trunk and cabin? To really benefit from the high quality bass that IB provides you need to ensure that the rear wave is blocked, so in all likelihood you need to build a baffle for the rear deck, and rear seats.

eficalibrator 06-18-2019 10:12 AM

I run a single 15" through the 8" hole in my Charger. No problem at all.

Horsemanwill 06-18-2019 01:53 PM

KS in da house lol

Patrick Bateman 06-18-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downwind4final (Post 5712733)

A two to one compression ratio is no problem, air is easily compressible.

I've run compression ratios of ten to one and ran into issues, but even that is doable if you add a coupling chamber in front of the woofer to reduce turbulence.