IB sub placemement - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 downwind4final will become famous soon enoughdownwind4final will become famous soon enoughdownwind4final will become famous soon enoughdownwind4final will become famous soon enoughdownwind4final will become famous soon enoughdownwind4final will become famous soon enough

Default IB sub placemement

The OE system has a 8.5" opening on the rear deck for an OE sub. I have a 12" sub suitable for IB with a 9" cone area. My plan is to build a "step-down" spacer (12"-8.5") and mount the sub there.
Can I get away with not enlarging the hole without causing any issues? Basically, a 12" sub firing through an 8.5" hole.
downwind4final is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 179 Jimi77 will become famous soon enoughJimi77 will become famous soon enoughJimi77 will become famous soon enoughJimi77 will become famous soon enoughJimi77 will become famous soon enoughJimi77 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: IB sub placemement

You'll probably be fine. I've fired 10 & 12s thru 6x9 holes with no issues, but those were not high excursion subs.

Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwind4final View Post
The OE system has a 8.5" opening on the rear deck for an OE sub. I have a 12" sub suitable for IB with a 9" cone area. My plan is to build a "step-down" spacer (12"-8.5") and mount the sub there.
Can I get away with not enlarging the hole without causing any issues? Basically, a 12" sub firing through an 8.5" hole.
Yes, the opening is plenty, but you still really want a baffle behind the rear seats. The point of IB is to separate the rear wave from the from wave using a baffle that prevents the rear wave from getting into the cabin. Unless your rear seats are backed by a lot of metal, the rear wave will easily pass through the seat foam.

What kind of car is this going into? What materials are there between the trunk and cabin? To really benefit from the high quality bass that IB provides you need to ensure that the rear wave is blocked, so in all likelihood you need to build a baffle for the rear deck, and rear seats.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Calibrated Success
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 175 eficalibrator will become famous soon enougheficalibrator will become famous soon enougheficalibrator will become famous soon enougheficalibrator will become famous soon enougheficalibrator will become famous soon enougheficalibrator will become famous soon enough

I run a single 15" through the 8" hole in my Charger. No problem at all.

~Greg
"Nobody's really going to be free until nerd persecution ends." -Lewis Skolnick
eficalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 258 Horsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Horsemanwill Send a message via MSN to Horsemanwill Send a message via Yahoo to Horsemanwill

KS in da house lol

HU P01
Mosconi Class A running ES ultra full body
Mosconi AS 200.4(bridged) running Stevens Audio MB8 (4ohm)
Mosconi AS 300.2(bridged) running B&C 18RBX100
Horsemanwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 228 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwind4final View Post
A two to one compression ratio is no problem, air is easily compressible.

I've run compression ratios of ten to one and ran into issues, but even that is doable if you add a coupling chamber in front of the woofer to reduce turbulence.

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement