Upgrading from stock to entry-level HiFi components - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Upgrading from stock to entry-level HiFi components

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
Believe it or not, they reproduce sound better than perfectly round speakers. The reason for this is the shape of the cone helps minimize cone breakup at higher frequency. The only downside is a differing iff axis response which can actually be beneficial if placed the right way. They just arent popular because not many cars use oval sizes and they arent used ANYWHERE else in audio industries so manufacturering them would be expensive for little reason. But, high end companies (scanspeak in particular) are starting to use elliptical voice coils for the exact reason above. Helps stabilize the cone and reduce breakup. That said, get the pac amp pro. Also get the digital output piece for it and go digital into a processor. The analog outputs on it have a slight bit of hiss

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That pretty well sums it up.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 956 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

The point of all this oval talk, btw, OP, is to get you off your high horse and realize we're just as smart as you, and able to speak with you on your level if you'd just set your eyes level instead of trying to look down on everyone that is donating their time to respond to you.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2

Last edited by Lanson; 07-01-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanson For This Useful Post:
Hillbilly SQ (07-03-2019)
Old 07-01-2019   #28

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
You must learn to read all posts before commenting

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I see why your post count is so little and your chip so big...

Quote:
If your goal is to build around a 6x9, sure, it can be done. But few people ever do that because it's unnecessarily difficult.
You are wrong again (at least in this context). In the GC that you have, anything BUT a 6x9 is unnecessarily difficult. So if you would stop talking about how much you know, and start reading, listening and researching a bit, you might learn something that will amaze you!

Fyi, I have far more experience building a sound quality system in a FCA vehicle then you do, so get over yourself.

On a more friendly note: pm me your address. I bought you a t-shirt and I'd like to send it to you so we can be friends.

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
"Just slap some drywall screws in it, and you'll be fine"
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 370 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If your goal is to build around a 6x9, sure, it can be done. But few people ever do that because it's unnecessarily difficult. You typically only see it because of sponsored builds. And if we're just talking dedicated midbass drivers now, we're already into a totally different conversation.

I don't really want to keep the OEM source unit, but it's needed to control much of the heating/cooling, car diagnostics, etc. It can't be removed. It can be replaced with an alternative or an independent setup can be installed. I have yet to see an alternative unit worth 5 seconds of my time. And and independent setup is tough because i still lose a lot of functionality of the vehicle, such as blind spot warning, diagnostic tones, backup warning tones, steering wheel controls, etc. And of course it's particularly tight with all the gadgetry in my vehicle, so finding somewhere to put the damn deck would be a challenge alone. So i was hoping that this PAC audio device was able to output a decent enough signal to be used for a SQ-esq build. I don't expect it to match the 5V pre-outs from my 80prs or the 8V from my old Eclipse deck or God forbid a McIntosh, but I was hoping at least for something respectable... Something far exceeding line out quality.

Voltage output isn't particularly important either. The amp gains are used to match the input voltage, you don't need crazy high input voltage for great sound quality. Low input voltage may make it more important to find an amp with a low noise floor, since you'll need to use more gain than you with with a higher input voltage, but the sound quality won't be affected as long as your amps stay quiet.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 113 Big Ry will become famous soon enoughBig Ry will become famous soon enoughBig Ry will become famous soon enoughBig Ry will become famous soon enoughBig Ry will become famous soon enoughBig Ry will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanson View Post
The point of all this oval talk, btw, OP, is to get you off your high horse and realize we're just as smart as you, and able to speak with you on your level if you'd just set your eyes level instead of trying to look down on everyone that is donating their time to respond to you.
As i already explained, you guys set things off on the wrong path by taking zero time to actually read anything i wrote and then began acting superior to me. So don't try flipping it around the other way. You know you fucked up by not taking the time to read my damn post, and you know how annoying that shit is just like I do.

Now clearly this has just become a tribal thing that will go nowhere, so this is pointless to continue as I'm not getting much actual useful info here. Just a bunch of people who want to attack me and reiterate their talking points which I've already stated I'm not interested in hearing about. You like your speakers... Cool. I don't want your speakers. It should have ended there.

Big Ry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 370 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As i already explained, you guys set things off on the wrong path by taking zero time to actually read anything i wrote and then began acting superior to me. So don't try flipping it around the other way. You know you fucked up by not taking the time to read my damn post, and you know how annoying that shit is just like I do.

Now clearly this has just become a tribal thing that will go nowhere, so this is pointless to continue as I'm not getting much actual useful info here. Just a bunch of people who want to attack me and reiterate their talking points which I've already stated I'm not interested in hearing about. You like your speakers... Cool. I don't want your speakers. It should have ended there.

It seems that maybe you're the one not reading our posts.

The PAC interface you are looking at has been explained. It will give you a flat, clean, fullrange output, which is what you need. The low voltage isn't a problem, as long as you don't have noisy amps. Due to this, your sound quality will start off every bit as good as any other flat, fullrange signal. What you do (or don't do) with it after that with a DSP is what will matter.

You don't have to use a 6x9, but saying that have worse sound quality is just wrong. There are plenty of crappy 6x9's out there, admittedly more bad than good, but the shape of the speaker isn't what's holding them back. A 6x9 can give similar midbass to an 8" speaker, while oftentimes fitting just as easily as a 6.5".
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2019   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 jackk will become famous soon enoughjackk will become famous soon enoughjackk will become famous soon enoughjackk will become famous soon enoughjackk will become famous soon enoughjackk will become famous soon enough

I found it amazing you guys are patiently responding to OP.

I read all his writings so posting this response must not please OP

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 TL | Stock HU w/ Nav | Audison Bitone.1 | U-Dimension Forte [email protected] + Focal Kit 7 w/ Crossblock | HCCA 250 Comp [email protected] + HCCA 12d (1990s) active
jackk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like mods should lock this thread because it's not going to go anywhere good. The OP obviously doesn't want our help.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019   #34

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
I feel like mods should lock this thread because it's not going to go anywhere good. The OP obviously doesn't want our help.
You can't help someone if they already know everything... He was a dick from his first response (post #3), too.

There should be a sub-forum for the OP, Kountz and K-pop - the "know-it-all" guys (just to name a few).

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
"Just slap some drywall screws in it, and you'll be fine"
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 956 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
You can't help someone if they already know everything... He was a dick from his first response (post #3), too.

There should be a sub-forum for the OP, Kountz and K-pop - the "know-it-all" guys (just to name a few).

sure, take em to www.gtfo.com or something. (that's not a real site I don't think, just follow the acronym)

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2

Last edited by Lanson; 07-03-2019 at 11:13 AM..
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019   #36

Rep Power: 7 Furyan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enoughFuryan will become famous soon enough

No worries here,when he searches high and low endlessly for months for another solution and find nothing exists,then has to revert back to the PAC or similar after wasting all his time,I'll sit here smiling while in the back of his mind he'll be reminded of all the know it all's here who were right.
Furyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #37

Rep Power: 17 richardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enough

At the risk of bringing down the OP's wrath by not answering correctly with what he wants-the amp pro (ap4-ch41) is supposed to be able to output a 20-20,000 signal, a user selectable output voltage (4 or 5 volts), bypass any factory applied EQing, and gives the user the ability (although minor) to adjust the frequency and Q on the 3 band Eq on the ucconect head unit. I think the limiting factor is if the Ucconect head unit can actually put out a 20hz-20kz signal to begin with. That's not up to the PAC's module. It can't give you something that's not there to begin with. I've researched this because I'm getting one (revision 2 will now work with non Alpine/HK 8.4 Uconnect like the one I have).

And if you can wait, they're coming out with a radio replacement module and dash kit that won't lose any features you have to use Ucconect to access. The model number is pac audio rpk4-ch4103. You won't find it in a search because they haven't released it yet-I got the model number from a Five Star YouTube video of upcoming PAC stuff. They talk about the Ford version, but if you look close and freeze a frame, you can see the box for the Jeep version sitting under box for the Durango version. I have no idea of a release date, but it's coming and the kit on the box looks like it came from factory. I know they're coming out with a RAM and Durango version too. Also, PAC replied to a comment I posted on another video showcasing the Ford Version. I asked if they would show some love to us JGC owners and they told me it was coming.

I hope that helps at least someone that may look at this post, even if not the OP.
richardar6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #38

Rep Power: 34 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

I believe SkizeR answered everything perfectly and politely. I didn't quote his answer, so OP can just read the thread to find it.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #39

Rep Power: 17 richardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enough

Oh, I agree with you. (especially on the whole 6x9 debate). I was just adding my 2 cents--more for the people like me who come across this post trying to research the same stuff. The people here were trying to help the OP and share their experience and his response came across like he was blankety blank. Apparently either he doesn't realize this or he really is a blankety blank in life. I don't mean to offend anyone (especially on this forum, lol).
richardar6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #40

Rep Power: 34 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardar6 View Post
Oh, I agree with you. (especially on the whole 6x9 debate). I was just adding my 2 cents--more for the people like me who come across this post trying to research the same stuff. The people here were trying to help the OP and share their experience and his response came across like he was blankety blank. Apparently either he doesn't realize this or he really is a blankety blank in life. I don't mean to offend anyone (especially on this forum, lol).
Oh, that wasn't aimed at you, just a shot at the OP.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #41

Rep Power: 79 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

I would take DavidRam up on that offer for that shirt because Iím pretty sure he would actually mail that to you, lol.

Hey Dave, didnít you bypass your HU all together and run a high res player directly into the DSP? Thatís another option available that works well.

O-yeah, my oval 5x7 JL Audio C5 mid woofers sound awesome in my F150 paired with 1Ē GB10 tweeters.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement