New to car audio - Need objective advise on build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 floridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enoughfloridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enoughfloridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enoughfloridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enoughfloridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enoughfloridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enough

Default New to car audio - Need objective advise on build

Hey guys!,

I am new to the car audio world, I know I can figure out an install for a full car audio setup, but I am not sure of what is the best bang for the buck and build for my platform.

I was hoping some people here with their technical experience could look at what I am doing and tell me if its a solid setup or what they would change.

I have a 2009 Ford Ranger XLT extended cab:

Here is what I am looking at buying:

1. Pioneer GM-D9705 Class-D 5-Channel Amplifier (2000 watt)

2. NVX True Spec 1/0 Gauge 100% Copper Single Amp Wiring Kit with 12 Gauge Speaker Wire

3. (4) Rockford Fosgate T1682 Power 6"x8" 2-Way Full-Range Speaker

4. Pioneer AVH-1300NEX Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.2" WVGA Display

5. Phoenix Gold SX18S4 200w RMS subwoofer ( I already own this ).
floridaparatrooper85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: New to car audio - Need objective advise on build

One thing I would recommend is do not buy 2 pairs of those speakers. Actually, don't buy any. Put the money that you were going to spend on 2 pairs, and put it toward a single set of decent components. Do you have a decent spot to mount a tweeter?

Rear speakers are something I recommend most people eliminate from their car, but plenty of people are so used to them that they don't fully appreciate how much better a car usually sounds without them. I certainly wouldn't spend any money upgrade them, plus you don't want a tweeter behind you at all, so if anything keep the stock speakers connected, and spend the money on a better front stage.

The rest of the plan seems pretty good, but you may want to budget for some sound deadening material as well.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
floridaparatrooper85 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 70 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Looks ok for a very basic set-up.

No need for 1/0awg wiring kit for that amp - 4awg will be more than enough and easier to route & connect. And 12awg speaker wiring is also way overkill - 16awg will work at those power levels.

Also, didn't see any sound deadening listed - you may want to look into that especially if the speakers will be mounted in the doors or other sheet metal cavities.

2019 IASCA North America Championship - 2nd Place Novice Class
2019 NY State Champion MECA Mod-Street
Truthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019   #4

Rep Power: 0 floridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enoughfloridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enoughfloridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enoughfloridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enoughfloridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enoughfloridaparatrooper85 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
One thing I would recommend is do not buy 2 pairs of those speakers. Actually, don't buy any. Put the money that you were going to spend on 2 pairs, and put it toward a single set of decent components. Do you have a decent spot to mount a tweeter?

Rear speakers are something I recommend most people eliminate from their car, but plenty of people are so used to them that they don't fully appreciate how much better a car usually sounds without them. I certainly wouldn't spend any money upgrade them, plus you don't want a tweeter behind you at all, so if anything keep the stock speakers connected, and spend the money on a better front stage.

The rest of the plan seems pretty good, but you may want to budget for some sound deadening material as well.
Thank you for the information. I am more trying to understand the components of acoustics into the car audio setup than the installation. The installation seems pretty easy.

1. Can you tell me the reasons behind not wanting rear speakers?

2. So does my one pair of main speakers represent my mid, the tweeter the high, and my sub the low???

3. Can you recommend a good tweeter and main mid speaker combo?

4. Can you recommend any sound deading material? Should I put that in the doors??
Old 06-27-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaparatrooper85 View Post
Thank you for the information. I am more trying to understand the components of acoustics into the car audio setup than the installation. The installation seems pretty easy.

Stereo is recorded in 2 channels, left and right. A good stereo creates the illusion of a stage in front of the listener where the vocals are usually centered, and the rest of the instruments appear to be coming from specific places in this stage. This staging and imaging is what makes stereo special. Rear speakers ruin this illusion because our attention gets drawn backwards. Instead of the stage appearing in front of us, it's a blurry mess in front, and behind.

Stereo is not surround sound, it's stereo, and it's very enjoyable if done well.

2. So does my one pair of main speakers represent my mid, the tweeter the high, and my sub the low???
A front pair of components can either be 2-way or 3-way. A 2-way will have a midbass and a tweeter, and a 3-way will add a midrange.

The simplest approach would be to buy a pre-packaged 2-way component set that fits your budget. Figure out what you're willing to spend, find a few sets in that range, then people can help you decide between your options.

4. Can you recommend any sound deading material? Should I put that in the doors??
I use this stuff, to me it's a good value:
https://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-K...s%2C152&sr=8-2
See above.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (06-27-2019), floridaparatrooper85 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
See above.

(1) Okay, so my Ranger has 4 speakers (2 front and rear), I will disconnect the rear and just have a good 2-way that will give me my midbass and tweeter. I looked up a few 2-way options as you said and tell me what you think:

- Audiofrog GS682
6"x8" 2-way car speakers / $299 for a pair

- JBL Stadium GTO860C
Stadium Series 6"x8" component speaker system / $263.99 for a pair

(2) That deading material looks good, should put it on my two front doors and my two small rear doors on my Ford Ranger and thats it?
Old 06-27-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Can you fit a 6x9 or 6.5”? The speakers you listed are coax, not components, if you can fit a 6x9 or 6.5” then you’ll have a ton more options.
Old 06-27-2019   #8

Rep Power: 35 SlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I've had good luck with Sonic Barrier MX-4. Very cheap.

A lot of people say to skip rear speakers, but I personally couldn't adjust to the sound without rears. Also, if you have passengers them it might be better to get rear speakers. That said, you can always add them in at a later time which is what I did.

The Pioneer amp is a fantastic buy.

And while 1/0 isn't needed for your build, I would install it if you can afford it. You may end up going bigger next time, and this way you won't have to pull the wire and rerun a new power line (what I did).

2014 Honda Accord LX - JL Audio C2-650, Kicker CSC674, Helix DSP Pro MK1, Pioneer GM-D8604, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019   #9

Rep Power: 51 Ifixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enough

I strongly 2nd the following:

Ditch rear speakers, it messes up the stage and costs extra money. Use that money to improve the stage.

Use sound deadening.
It is probably the best bang for buck part of the whole process. Once you deaden the metal in the door and seal the gaping holes in the door, the speaker can really shine because midbass response will be much improved, and you won't hear so much rattling from the doors.

If you ditch the rear speakers, as a bonus, you do not need to treat the rear doors at all. More $ saved.

Feel I need to add this:

Time alignment is critical. You need to be able to add delay to the drivers so all the sound reaches you at the same time. A good centered front stage is not possible without it.

Here's where you have a big decision to make.

If you get passive components, you will not be able to time align them because they will be fed the same signal. If they're mounted right next to each other, then not so much a concern.

If you stick with coax, you can time align them, but the stage will be very low since they'll be in the doors.

I feel the best bang for the buck is an active 2 way front stage plus sub, with tweeters up higher like in sail panels or dash pods.

After going this route, I regret nothing, and wish I'd done it sooner.

If you run active, you can buy raw drivers instead of a full component set, which will generally get you much better drivers for the money, mostly because you don't need any passive crossovers.

I honestly think my setup is about budget bang for buck you can get.

The Pioneer DEH-80prs is the top choice for a single din HU that does T/A and active crossovers, but there are cheaper ones.

You could also get a HU + DSP.

I spent about 175 on all the front speakers, and could not find a comp set near that price for the same quality. Going active allowed me to save money on drivers, but more importantly, gave me way more tuning control and options.

Ultimately, active 2 way + sub is the golden ticket for ultimate SQ on a budget. Only way to go from there is active 3 way + sub.

The caveat is an active system is a lot more complex to configure and tune, so you have to decide if you're ready for that.

For what it's worth, I got mine when I had very little idea what I was doing, and it took over a year to learn what everything does and get it completely dialed in, but learning about it was massive fun, and I went through so many improvements with the system learning how to set it up.

If you decide to do it, many people here will be glad to help, including myself!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Subaru Legacy SQ build
Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Alpine MRD-M500 - 2 JL Audio 12W3v3 | Rockford Fosgate Prime 300 @ 412 Watts RMS | SB Acoustics SB17MFC35 | Alpine Hiend 28mm tweeters
Ifixtheinternet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019   #10

Rep Power: 36 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

I second that 80prs from Pioneer, you can find lightly used ones in the classified section on this forum dirt cheap. I don't think you can beat that value.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019   #11

Rep Power: 82 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hey guys!,

I am new to the car audio world, I know I can figure out an install for a full car audio setup, but I am not sure of what is the best bang for the buck and build for my platform.

I was hoping some people here with their technical experience could look at what I am doing and tell me if its a solid setup or what they would change.

1. Pioneer GM-D9705 Class-D 5-Channel Amplifier (2000 watt)

this is a very good budget amplifier

2. NVX True Spec 1/0 Gauge 100% Copper Single Amp Wiring Kit with 12 Gauge Speaker Wire

3. (4) Rockford Fosgate T1682 Power 6"x8" 2-Way Full-Range Speaker
If you want coaxial get the AudioFrog, they are about the best coaxial. What gijoe said is correct, separate tweeter and woofer is better and ditch the rears. JL Audio makes decent 6x8 component speakers.

4. Pioneer AVH-1300NEX Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.2" WVGA Display

5. Phoenix Gold SX18S4 200w RMS subwoofer ( I already own this ).
Proper installation is very important so put sound deadening on that list and get a decent sub box or built one.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019   #12

Rep Power: 37 Petererc will become famous soon enoughPetererc will become famous soon enoughPetererc will become famous soon enoughPetererc will become famous soon enoughPetererc will become famous soon enoughPetererc will become famous soon enough

You got some good advice in this thread keep asking questions. How long do you plan on keeping the truck? Where are you going to mount the sub/amps? Being it’s an extended cab, and most likely not having passengers in back seat I would ditch the rears as well. I would suggest researching some Ford Ranger builds, get some ideas of what will fit where.
I like the 80prs suggestion and go active, plenty of people on the forums to walk you through initial setup. I had a tacoma extended loaded with speakers, amps and a 12” sub buckled to the rear seat. It was loud and sounded pretty good but that was all i knew. Got a newer Tacoma double cab a couple years ago and decided i wanted to try an active budget sq build. Spent many hours reading the forums, watching install videos and driving my wife nuts. In the long run I love it and i am still getting guidance from people on the forums. It really all depends on what you want and how involved you are willing to get.
Petererc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2019   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hey guys!,

Advise...
Impntimate what your goals are, and what do you want the system to sound like?

Quote:

Well if I supported confirmation bias, it would say that is a great list.
But I am not sure whether they will meet your goals.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2019   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 959 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend Audiofrog but consider a 6.5" vs. the 6x8 coaxial, and go with components. So, GS60 and GS10. They aren't cheap but they will last, and they do not weather and fall apart like most brands as the years pass in a door. In fact, 3 years later I pulled my GS69's out and they looked brand new still.

I actually like rear fill, but I always keep the equipment expense to a dead minimum (or use stock speakers if they are good enough.) I always use a DSP, and always run my speakers active if possible.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2019   #15

Rep Power: 82 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

ResoNix is a good high quality product to use for sound deadening and there are some good how to articles on here as well to use as a guide. https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/

Do this and you will have better midbass and overall sound with any speaker.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2019   #16

Rep Power: 35 SlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanson View Post

I actually like rear fill, but I always keep the equipment expense to a dead minimum (or use stock speakers if they are good enough.) I always use a DSP, and always run my speakers active if possible.
Yay, I'm not alone in this world!

2014 Honda Accord LX - JL Audio C2-650, Kicker CSC674, Helix DSP Pro MK1, Pioneer GM-D8604, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement