Problem with door resonance with door card installed - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 a_dee will become famous soon enougha_dee will become famous soon enougha_dee will become famous soon enougha_dee will become famous soon enougha_dee will become famous soon enougha_dee will become famous soon enough

Default Problem with door resonance with door card installed

Hello folks,

Ongoing install in my BRZ.

I've been working on my audio build for the past two years. I have spent a lot of time dampening the outer and inner door, and then building fiberglass panels that cover and seal all the holes on the inner door. When I went to equalize the front speakers, I found out that after all my "work", the frequency response of the right speaker (left side was fine) was being affected. It was creating a huge 12db boost from 40-110Hz and a huge 12db drop from 210-450Hz. As such, instead of a relatively flat lower/mid bass response, I have a huge peak and dip varying 27db! Everything is flat, EQ is off on the headunit, and the miniDSP is also flat except for timing adjustments. But that shouldn't have an effect as I'm only testing the one speaker in isolation.

The blue line is with the door card, and the burgundy line is without the door card (everything else stays the same on the inner/outer door). I even redid the front gasketing that seals the speaker front wave to the door and it looks perfect. Both sweeps were done back to back, same test conditions, settings, everything, except for the presence or absence of the door card.

Any suggestions? I think I need some expert help here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180903_113204.jpg (2.14 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg unknown door response issue.jpg (223.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by a_dee; 07-04-2019 at 11:10 PM..
a_dee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019   #2

Rep Power: 93 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Is the door panel (card) deadened? I may have missed if you said that
ToNasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019   #3

Rep Power: 0 a_dee will become famous soon enougha_dee will become famous soon enougha_dee will become famous soon enougha_dee will become famous soon enougha_dee will become famous soon enougha_dee will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Problem with door resonance with door card installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNasty View Post
Is the door panel (card) deadened? I may have missed if you said that
the door card is lightly deadened with square patches. I'd say coverage is pretty minimal.

Old 07-05-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 304 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

add more damping material to the doorcard, also use some CCF where you can, and avoid contact of two different hard materials (metal/ABS plastic) - decouple doorcard from metal

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
LBaudio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to LBaudio For This Useful Post:
Hillbilly SQ (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019   #5

Rep Power: 0 minet will become famous soon enoughminet will become famous soon enoughminet will become famous soon enoughminet will become famous soon enoughminet will become famous soon enoughminet will become famous soon enough

any update?
minet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBaudio View Post
add more damping material to the doorcard, also use some CCF where you can, and avoid contact of two different hard materials (metal/ABS plastic) - decouple doorcard from metal
thanks, will try that. Need to go buy some CCF and get that installed.
Old 07-05-2019   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,176 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.resonixsoundsolutions.com...e-information/

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
a_dee (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019   #8

I've added a picture of the door card to show its current state. I'll add more CLD to start and then re-test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181013_213742.jpg (1.34 MB, 14 views)
Old 07-05-2019   #9

just an additional thought -- now that the doors are fully sealed, all the backwave energy has nowhere to go and is exciting the door, and in turn exciting the door panel. Is that a fair understanding what might be going on?

Attached another chart which shows the new green line where the fiberglass paneling was removed with the door card in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknown door response issue 2.jpg (248.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-05-2019   #10

Rep Power: 42 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

I cut the denim/plastic stuff off my cards and deadend them really well then used high temp hot glue to re attach the stuff after. When I pull my door card next time I'll remove the denim and add ccf over the whole card or inner door panel for vibrations.
Mahapederdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement