Choosing a second battery (HO Alternator installed) - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019   #1

Rep Power: 48 Nakamichi Head will become famous soon enoughNakamichi Head will become famous soon enoughNakamichi Head will become famous soon enoughNakamichi Head will become famous soon enoughNakamichi Head will become famous soon enoughNakamichi Head will become famous soon enough

Default Choosing a second battery (HO Alternator installed)

Hello gentlemen,

I ordered an Apex HO alternator, 390 amp for the car, and was planning to add a second battery for reserves. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that one battery will consume the other without an isolator? The 390a should leave me with a constant surplus of available power; am I correct in assuming that the HO alternator size should alleviate that concern? If there is a surplus, does this also remove the need for an isolator? Lastly, any input on battery size?

The equipment is as follows:

Car: 2003 BMW 325xiT (stock alternator was 120a)
Zapco: Z1.600 LX
Tru Technology B-2110
Airlift Performance Air ride system: (Draw from the compressor It's fused at 30a)

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Mike
Nakamichi Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019   #2

Rep Power: 33 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Choosing a second battery (HO Alternator installed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakamichi Head View Post
1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that one battery will consume the other without an isolator?
2) The 390a should leave me with a constant surplus of available power; am I correct in assuming that the HO alternator size should alleviate that concern?
3) If there is a surplus, does this also remove the need for an isolator?
4) Lastly, any input on battery size?
1) Yes, but it's not quite that simple. 2 identical batteries of the same age are theoretically identical in electrical properties, so they would not need an isolator. That is an ideal situation that doesn't exist in real world usage, differences in voltage and/or internal resistance will cause one battery to drain the other. The only question is "How much is acceptable?".
2) No, it doesn't matter how much amperage your alternator provides when charging, the battery problem occurs when the alternator isn't charging.
3) See number 2^^
4) Biggest battery you can physically fit.
With a large enough alternator you may not need the extra battery. (Just in case I misunderstood question 2)
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 54 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Lithium batteries are often used for low current draw.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019   #4

Rep Power: 42 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

I have one of these in my trunk. 0 voltage drop now.
https://4xspower.com/shop/super-bank...anks/sb500-47/
Mahapederdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 235 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a Northstar AGM to replace my stock battery. I don't have a spot or inclination to add a second battery, so I decided to replace mine with the best AGM battery I could find. I put an Odyssey Extreme in my Tahoe, but the Northstar was the right choice for now in my Z.

Even with an isolator, I kept going through batteries (regular parts store batteries) in my truck, so I isolated the stereo electrical from the stock electrical, each with their own battery AND alternator. No problems since then.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2019   #6

Rep Power: 33 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
Even with an isolator, I kept going through batteries (regular parts store batteries) in my truck, so I isolated the stereo electrical from the stock electrical, each with their own battery AND alternator. No problems since then.
I have been thinking about doing that exact same thing, but I haven't had the same problems as you.
Old 07-06-2019   #7

Rep Power: 48 Nakamichi Head will become famous soon enoughNakamichi Head will become famous soon enoughNakamichi Head will become famous soon enoughNakamichi Head will become famous soon enoughNakamichi Head will become famous soon enoughNakamichi Head will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: Choosing a second battery (HO Alternator installed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
1) Yes, but it's not quite that simple. 2 identical batteries of the same age are theoretically identical in electrical properties, so they would not need an isolator. That is an ideal situation that doesn't exist in real world usage, differences in voltage and/or internal resistance will cause one battery to drain the other. The only question is "How much is acceptable?".
2) No, it doesn't matter how much amperage your alternator provides when charging, the battery problem occurs when the alternator isn't charging.
3) See number 2^^
4) Biggest battery you can physically fit.
With a large enough alternator you may not need the extra battery. (Just in case I misunderstood question 2)
Thanks for the detailed response. So I will be needing the isolator, and with at I can use the battery that best suits my space constraints bigger obviously being better. I appreciate it, sir!
Old 07-06-2019   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
I just got a Northstar AGM to replace my stock battery. I don't have a spot or inclination to add a second battery, so I decided to replace mine with the best AGM battery I could find. I put an Odyssey Extreme in my Tahoe, but the Northstar was the right choice for now in my Z.

Thanks for the input. My battery is about a year old and an AGM, but I dont recall its CCA or Ah. Opttima has started making a drop in H6 repacement for my stock battery which I'm thinking of using. I need to compare its values to my current one to see how much better it actually is. I have my air system in my spare tire well and my amp rack floating above that. I'm struggling to find space for an extra battery.
Old 07-06-2019   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakamichi Head View Post
Thanks for the detailed response. So I will be needing the isolator, and with at I can use the battery that best suits my space constraints bigger obviously being better. I appreciate it, sir!
You are very welcome.
Old 07-07-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 235 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

As far as battery goes, I don't know that it really matters beyond terminal/post type and physical size. Measure your spot and get the largest high quality AGM battery you can physically fit in there. And get an outboard charger than can charge an AGM battery properly.

I got this one not too long ago (NOCO Genius 7200), along with an outboard plug to wire in for quickly connecting in the garage with the hood down. I'll just wire it up inside the grill, one in my Tahoe, one in my Z, then pull whichever in the garage I'm not using and let the Noco charge it overnight to top up the AGM battery.

Oh, and Optima isn't your best choice in AGM batteries, if you ask me. Their quality has arguably gone downhill in the last few years, although they aren't trash by any means... just that they put a whole lot more into marketing than any kind of new technology. I did some pretty exhaustive research for myself and decided on Northstar and Odyssey Extreme as the top performers.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 304 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

You could pass without battery isolator that will also present 0,7-1 V drop (dual battery isolator, solenoid, diodes), with two identical batteries - capacitance and age,... installed near side by side. if it is a daily driven car then it would be probably without problems. If you drive this car only on occasions, then it might be a problem with discharged battery.

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
LBaudio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement