Opinions on multiple runs of skyhigh 2/0 awg ofc - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 James187781 will become famous soon enoughJames187781 will become famous soon enoughJames187781 will become famous soon enoughJames187781 will become famous soon enoughJames187781 will become famous soon enoughJames187781 will become famous soon enough

Default Opinions on multiple runs of skyhigh 2/0 awg ofc

Hello guys, it's been a long journey on gathering parts and planning my system. Wanting to do everything right the first time & not skimp on anything. I am now ready to start the install. But first, just wanted to say thank you to those who answered my last post. I ended up just getting two idmax 15's for the subs. The deal on the w7s I was going to get fell through. I'm sure I'll still be happy with these though. Any how, I ended up just selling the 3/0 awg welding cable I had and getting a roll of skyhigh ofc 2/0 awg for the same price. This stuff is way thicker than the welding cable and way more flexible. All Skyhigh wire is extremely high quality IMOH if anyone was looking at purchasing it. Anyways, now comes the question with running power cable. Currently I have a 370a McMahan alternator and a xs power d6500 up front with the big 3 done. The problem is I do not have room for an extra battery in the back of my truck. I may later try and see if I can stick another one under the bed. So therefore, I was thinking about doing two runs of power cable to my amps. The runs would be roughly 15 feet in length. My goal is to minimize voltage drop and maximize current flow to the back. The total RMS would be about 4,240 watts. With the class D efficiency of the amps at roughly 75% plus the extra 25% in wasted power, I'm looking at around 385 amps of current draw at 13.8v full tilt. If I did the math right. So with 2 runs of 2/0, I'd be looking at around a .45v drop (3.26%) in the back with a final voltage of 13.35. Again if I did my math right. So does this seem right or is it just over kill? What is the acceptable amount of voltage loss? I already have the cable. If I don't use it in my truck, then i'll end up using it for something else. If I use two cables for the positive I'll double up the grounds to the frame. Just to be clear about that.

XS power D6500
Mechman 370 amp alt
Covered top to bottom in Second Skin
HU - Pioneer DMH-C5500NEX
DSP - Alpine PXE-0850S
Front Stage - B2 Audio 3 way REF63
(active)
Front amp - B2 Rage 1200.6
Rears - B2 audio 2 way REF63 (active)
Rear Amp - B2 Rage 600.4
I have my reasons for rear speakers.
Sub Amp - B2 Audio Rage 2500.1
Subs - Two Image Dynamics IDmax15
Power cable - Skyhigh 2/0 awg ofc
James187781 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019   #2

Rep Power: 0 audioman0115 will become famous soon enoughaudioman0115 will become famous soon enoughaudioman0115 will become famous soon enoughaudioman0115 will become famous soon enoughaudioman0115 will become famous soon enoughaudioman0115 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Opinions on multiple runs of skyhigh 2/0 awg ofc

What kind of box are you using for the subs? In my experience, unless you run around with the volume maxed out, will you ever get the amperage that high. Most of the time it'll be half what you figured

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
audioman0115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019   #3

Rep Power: 0 audioman0115 will become famous soon enoughaudioman0115 will become famous soon enoughaudioman0115 will become famous soon enoughaudioman0115 will become famous soon enoughaudioman0115 will become famous soon enoughaudioman0115 will become famous soon enough

With that alternator, the voltage should be closer to 14.4 consistantly. I have a mechman 370 and voltage hardly ever dips below 14.2 and that's with the stereo full tilt and a/c running and at night with headlights on

Old 07-07-2019   #4

So imho the 2 runs should be fine. I have a second battery, but only so I can run system when truck is off for a bit

Old 07-07-2019   #5

Rep Power: 0 James187781 will become famous soon enoughJames187781 will become famous soon enoughJames187781 will become famous soon enoughJames187781 will become famous soon enoughJames187781 will become famous soon enoughJames187781 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioman0115 View Post
What kind of box are you using for the subs? In my experience, unless you run around with the volume maxed out, will you ever get the amperage that high. Most of the time it'll be half what you figured

6 cubic ft ported @ 32 hz. It's an sq system so it wont be blasting all the time. But I'm sure I'll want to show it off from time to time.
Old 07-07-2019   #6

That's way cool, did you pull the rear seats to fit a box that big in a truck? Even in my mega cab i can only fit a 4.0 cu ft box behind the seats

Old 07-07-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 236 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're golden. 2 runs of 2/0 should be perfect. I mean hell, what else are you going to do? You've got a high-output alt, you've got an upgraded battery, doing 2 runs of thick cable... the ONLY other thing you can do is another battery in the rear, but while this CAN theoretically provide lots of current, I don't see it being something you are going to have to worry about.

Stop sweating it, don't overthink or overanalyze. Build it, play it, enjoy it.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019   #8

Rep Power: 93 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

I single run of the 2/0 will be sufficient. And it seems like jon rabe got to you and you bought all that from him. Keep an eye out of the ref amp. And have a backup plan for the speakers
ToNasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioman0115 View Post
That's way cool, did you pull the rear seats to fit a box that big in a truck? Even in my mega cab i can only fit a 4.0 cu ft box behind the seats

No seats are still in. It's a quad cab. Gross volume is actually around 8.9 cu ft. It's 19x18x55 and weighs around 120lbs with out subs. Amps are all behind the seats on rack as well. Box will set in the seats for now. need to keep the seats in there for the family and made the box easy to remove when needed. I actually have two 10s under the seats that get connected again when the big boys come out. That way I'm never with out bass 😃
Old 07-07-2019   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNasty View Post
I single run of the 2/0 will be sufficient. And it seems like jon rabe got to you and you bought all that from him. Keep an eye out of the ref amp. And have a backup plan for the speakers
No i got to demo all kinds of b2 stuff and fell in love with it. Just simple quality equipment that sounds good and works for what I need it to do. Was looking at the ref amp. It's just too big and I would need 2 of them for active front stage. The 1200.6 and 600.4 fit nicely in a small area. Not understanding why I would need a back up for the speakers. If you could please elaborate?
Old 07-07-2019   #11

Rep Power: 93 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by James187781 View Post
Quote:
No i got to demo all kinds of b2 stuff and fell in love with it. Just simple quality equipment that sounds good and works for what I need it to do. Was looking at the ref amp. It's just too big and I would need 2 of them for active front stage. The 1200.6 and 600.4 fit nicely in a small area. Not understanding why I would need a back up for the speakers. If you could please elaborate?
If you are happy with them that's all that matters. I just know I can't stand how they sound and when someone brings them to me locally to install I tell them I wont do it because they wont be happy
Old 07-07-2019   #12

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you are happy with them that's all that matters. I just know I can't stand how they sound and when someone brings them to me locally to install I tell them I
wont do it because they wont be happy

What is it that you don't like about them? I know everyone's ears are different. Still like to hear their opinions though.
Old 07-07-2019   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you are happy with them that's all that matters. I just know I can't stand how they sound and when someone brings them to me locally to install I tell them I
wont do it because they wont be happy

What is it that you don't like about them? I know everyone's ears are different. Still like to hear their opinions though.
Everything. Midbass are weak and sound hollow if you understand, the midrange is decent (only part of the system that can be ok) and the tweeter is harsh no matter what. It sounds pingy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement