How do i connect an external aero port? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 bladez will become famous soon enoughbladez will become famous soon enoughbladez will become famous soon enoughbladez will become famous soon enoughbladez will become famous soon enoughbladez will become famous soon enough

Default How do i connect an external aero port?

Hello all,

I am building a 2.53 cubic ft box for a 12" sundown x12. i am putting it in a narrow space, so i am going with an external aero port.

My question: how do i secure the external aero port to the box?

i need a port that's 46" long for 8" diameter. i was planning to route about 20" inside the box, then the remaining 26" on the outside. what parts do i need to do this?

i was thinking of mounting a pvc pipe coupling in the middle of the board of wood (where the hole is) and connecting one side to the inside of the box and the other to the outside. that way i can change lengths. how would i secure this in the box, so it doesn't gooch out either way when i am bumping?

my other option is using a 6" port, but that would put me at 28 in^2 of port diameter, which is 12 less than the required 40 in^2. in comparison, a 8" pipe puts me at 50".

please guide me either way regarding the 6 vs 8" port. the 6" requires less length.

also, how do i secure the pvc pipe in the box, mid port?

thank you
bladez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019   #2

Rep Power: 0 soco_canyon will become famous soon enoughsoco_canyon will become famous soon enoughsoco_canyon will become famous soon enoughsoco_canyon will become famous soon enoughsoco_canyon will become famous soon enoughsoco_canyon will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How do i connect an external aero port?

soco_canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 59 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladez View Post
Hello all,

I am building a 2.53 cubic ft box for a 12" sundown x12. i am putting it in a narrow space, so i am going with an external aero port.

My question: how do i secure the external aero port to the box?

i need a port that's 46" long for 8" diameter. i was planning to route about 20" inside the box, then the remaining 26" on the outside. what parts do i need to do this?

i was thinking of mounting a pvc pipe coupling in the middle of the board of wood (where the hole is) and connecting one side to the inside of the box and the other to the outside. that way i can change lengths. how would i secure this in the box, so it doesn't gooch out either way when i am bumping?

my other option is using a 6" port, but that would put me at 28 in^2 of port diameter, which is 12 less than the required 40 in^2. in comparison, a 8" pipe puts me at 50".

please guide me either way regarding the 6 vs 8" port. the 6" requires less length.

also, how do i secure the pvc pipe in the box, mid port?

thank you
Why not just use an Earthquake SLAMP M12 passive radiator?
Everything will same but it is tuneable, and you avoid a big tube being in the way.
The only real valid reason against it, would be if the box was in a pickup truck bed.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 193 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

How did you arrive at needing a 46" port?

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 GB10d4x2 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to miniSQ For This Useful Post:
jpsandberg (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 59 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
How did you arrive at needing a 46" port?
Probably 25 Hz...
And an 8" pipe is massive, so it needs length... but it still probably chuffs more than a PR.

If there is ever a good excuse for a passive radiator, it is no volume for an internal port, nor and external one.
The anti chuffing, and tuning are just extras.
And the cost is a negative.

It looks like a no brainier case to me.
Old 08-12-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 160 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

Use a rectangular port using box walls and wrap it around the enclosure! What your planning is just daft imo, an 8” aeroport for that length will put the mouth of the port out of phase with the driver (granted wavelengths are long, but part phase mismatching won’t help bass output!) 6” would be lots better! Even for a driver like that
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019   #7

Rep Power: 0 bladez will become famous soon enoughbladez will become famous soon enoughbladez will become famous soon enoughbladez will become famous soon enoughbladez will become famous soon enoughbladez will become famous soon enough

Thank you all for the responses. For the first images, which would be inside the wood part?

I hadn't considered a passive radiator. I have seen them, but know very little about them. Do they function in place of a port? The only problem is the only place on the box for it is behind a center console so there's no room

Here are the specs for the box:

I am looking to get 6 months out of this box. I have a wood shop building me a custom box for the truck that fits 2 12's at 5.7 cu in. I don't like to tell people I am doing this, because everyone says it won't fit in a reg cab dodge, but my truck has an ample 15" of space behind the seats- the only bitch is the center console that narrows the area, but i designed the big box so it will fit if i remove the center console when installing. this will take more time to get right, given my shitty woodworking skills, so i am waiting till the fall when it's cooler outside to complete and install. the single 12" is temporary install, and it has a lonely twin that will stay in its box for a while lol.

anyway, i am thinking about a 6" port. although it is lower than the specs (sundown says 40 in^2)

by comparison, the 6" port needs 25" at 32 hz

Old 08-12-2019   #8

Old 08-12-2019   #9

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

WinISD modeling in recommended 2.5 ft^3 at 32 Hz yields a sharp peak of 4.1 dB at 32.9 Hz, and a wide 1 dB dip from 61 Hz to 75 Hz; 120.4 dB at 1,500 watts; 27.4 Hz F3. SQ would require substantial EQ to tame such peaky response.

8” (50.27 in^2) x 46.8” vent yields peak vent velocity of 23.6 m/s, with little or no vent compression and zero vent noise/chuffing. However, 46.8” is simply too long a vent length. Recommended vent area of 40 in^2 yields 29.7 m/s, with presumably mild vent compression and possible/mild chuffing. 6” (28.27 in^2) x 25.3” vent yields 42.1 m/s, with presumably moderate vent compression and significant audible chuffing. However, chuffing could be eliminated by shaping a pair of adequately flared ends for the 6” PVC tube.

A smaller box would flatten response while exacerbating vent challenges. Conversely, larger box would help with vent challenges at the expense of even peakier response. Such is the nature of a subwoofer that seems to have been optimized for highest ~33 Hz output in least cabinet volume.

EDIT: The above modeling results are for the Sundown X 12 D2 version.

Last edited by Grinder; 08-12-2019 at 08:43 AM..
Grinder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019   #10

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

This 6" flared port would be ideal if you can make it work for your application.
https://www.parts-express.com/precis...e-kit--268-354

You'll need to add an extension (as the above port is 17"):
https://www.parts-express.com/precis...-tube--268-390

...and a connecting ring or two:
https://www.parts-express.com/precis...-tube--268-388

Flared vents need to be a bit longer than non-flared, so you'll want to use this Precision Sound calculator to determine proper flared vent length:
Products Menu
Old 08-12-2019   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 193 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
WinISD modeling in recommended 2.5 ft^3 at 32 Hz yields a sharp peak of 4.1 dB at 32.9 Hz, and a wide 1 dB dip from 61 Hz to 75 Hz; 120.4 dB at 1,500 watts; 27.4 Hz F3. SQ would require substantial EQ to tame such peaky response.

8” (50.27 in^2) x 46.8” vent yields peak vent velocity of 23.6 m/s, with little or no vent compression and zero vent noise/chuffing. However, 46.8” is simply too long a vent length. Recommended vent area of 40 in^2 yields 29.7 m/s, with presumably mild vent compression and possible/mild chuffing. 6” (28.27 in^2) x 25.3” vent yields 42.1 m/s, with presumably moderate vent compression and significant audible chuffing. However, chuffing could be eliminated by shaping a pair of adequately flared ends for the 6” PVC tube.

A smaller box would flatten response while exacerbating vent challenges. Conversely, larger box would help with vent challenges at the expense of even peakier response. Such is the nature of a subwoofer that seems to have been optimized for highest ~33 Hz output in least cabinet volume.

This is what i was getting at with my question. Your vent choice of 48" was way to long for practical use. Plus finding room inside for a 8" aeroport would be a challenge. I agree with trying to go to a single 6" port.

2018 Crosstrek
Old 08-12-2019   #12

Old 08-12-2019   #13

images
Old 08-12-2019   #14

Enthusiast

Quote:
images
Old 08-12-2019   #15

had to get 5 posts to post images..

Quote:
This 6" flared port would be ideal if you can make it work for your application.
https://www.parts-express.com/precis...e-kit--268-354

You'll need to add an extension (as the above port is 17"):
https://www.parts-express.com/precis...-tube--268-390

...and a connecting ring or two:
https://www.parts-express.com/precis...-tube--268-388

Flared vents need to be a bit longer than non-flared, so you'll want to use this Precision Sound calculator to determine proper flared vent length:
Products Menu
Thank you very much. I didn't know you could buy these already made. I thought i had to make this myself. This looks like a great option. I am attaching a sketch up photo of the box. it looks like i will have to run the port slightly outside of the box, as there is only ~22" before the internal port flare would hit the woofer's coil.

would you recommend putting a connector in the hole in the wood, so i could adjust the port length?

does it matter if the port runs in the top, middle or bottom section of the box?

also, i just realized, the volume of the box is slightly higher at 2.78 cu ft. due to the way i cut the wood, the top and bottom boards will be between the baffles, giving it an extra 1.5" from the wood thickness (.75" x 2, top and bottom). this will give me a recommended flared port length of 23.377805305755395 (lol)

Quote:
This is what i was getting at with my question. Your vent choice of 48" was way to long for practical use. Plus finding room inside for a 8" aeroport would be a challenge. I agree with trying to go to a single 6" port.
thanks.

Quote:

thank you. i had to read this several times to figure out everything. looks like we want to stay in the 32-33 hz frequency range. it will be the 4 ohm speaker with a 1800 watt amp.
Old 08-12-2019   #16

Enthusiast

I use packing tape and connector rings to temporarily assemble vent tube at various lengths until I hear what I like (for this process, it might help to have an extra tube or two on hand, and a couple extra connector rings). Then you can use ABS glue to permanently assemble the final length. In any case, it is of paramount importance to achieve an airtight seal between the vent and enclosure, and within the vent itself (EDIT: just do the best you can, by whatever means, to temporarily seal the tube to the box during the experimentation process).

Vent from front, rear, top, bottom …so long as there’s plenty of room for unobstructed air movement.

As for the 32-33 Hz frequency range, you’ll arrive at what’s best for you as you play with various vent lengths.

Last edited by Grinder; 08-12-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Old 08-12-2019   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
I hadn't considered a passive radiator. I have seen them, but know very little about them. Do they function in place of a port? The only problem is the only place on the box for it is behind a center console so there's no room
I would suggest to review your install and box thoughts.
External ports looks like a leaf blower or an overweight armadillo.

And whether external or internal it is going to be at least ~1 ft^3 of volume based upon their specs.

There is only 1 way to zero out the need for extra volume and still have the box a 4th order box.

It is your call.
Old 08-12-2019   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 160 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

I have been thinking, your enclosure has x amount of port inside the enclosure which will take up space in the enclosure and raise tuning which you don’t seem to have allowed for, bass box pro works this out for you to a degree, but still can’t utilise half in/half out ports unless you add displacement on top, either way it’s not gonna be tuned to 32hz unless you take some out of the box for the inner

You were initially speaking of 20” of 8” pipe inside the enclosure which would take up over 1 cubic foot I’d think! Just doesn’t add up
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

exactly, you need to make sure when making your 2.5cft box that you add to the overall size the amount of space the port will consume. so its 2.5 PLUS port volume when building.

Have you considered doing a slot port?

2018 Crosstrek
Old 08-12-2019   #20

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I have been thinking, your enclosure has x amount of port inside the enclosure which will take up space in the enclosure and raise tuning which you don’t seem to have allowed for, bass box pro works this out for you to a degree, but still can’t utilise half in/half out ports unless you add displacement on top, either way it’s not gonna be tuned to 32hz unless you take some out of the box for the inner

You were initially speaking of 20” of 8” pipe inside the enclosure which would take up over 1 cubic foot I’d think! Just doesn’t add up
Good catch. I hadn't payed much attention to the cabinet dims, and simply assumed that the OP's 2.5 ft^3 was net volume. In hindsight, it's glaringly obvious that such prodigious vent volume had not been taken into account.
Old 08-13-2019   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
exactly, you need to make sure when making your 2.5cft box that you add to the overall size the amount of space the port will consume. so its 2.5 PLUS port volume when building.

Have you considered doing a slot port?
A slot port will still be taking up volume, and often the slots have more area than a round port... hence sloted ports gobble is more volume than a cylindrical port. There are only two solutions that gobble up no volume.
Old 08-13-2019   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
A slot port will still be taking up volume, and often the slots have more area than a round port... hence sloted ports gobble is more volume than a cylindrical port. There are only two solutions that gobble up no volume.
really? a slot port takes up room in the box? Thanks for the heads up

Yes it does take up space, but in a different way. The problem i run into with an aero port is the flange is so big inside the box that it generally in some way hits the basket or the magnet or the side of the box. Slot ports are just way easier for me anyway to design around.

And yes we know you love passive radiators, but they have problems too. You can't expect to just use 1 12" passive with a 12" driver. It generally takes 2 passives, and that adds a lot to the cost, plus you also run into the same real estate problem as you do with aero ports. how do you locate 3 12 in drivers in a 2.5 cuft box.

Maybe i'm missing something but slot ports seem easier to me.

2018 Crosstrek
Old 08-13-2019   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
really? a slot port takes up room in the box? Thanks for the heads up

Yes it does take up space, but in a different way. The problem i run into with an aero port is the flange is so big inside the box that it generally in some way hits the basket or the magnet or the side of the box. Slot ports are just way easier for me anyway to design around.

And yes we know you love passive radiators, but they have problems too. You can't expect to just use 1 12" passive with a 12" driver. It generally takes 2 passives, and that adds a lot to the cost, plus you also run into the same real estate problem as you do with aero ports. how do you locate 3 12 in drivers in a 2.5 cuft box.

Maybe i'm missing something but slot ports seem easier to me.
Well I admit I like passives.
That 12M that I had posted earlier has something like 4" of excursion... and therefore is rated as only needing a single unit for a 12" sub.

The "total box" is going to be fatter with a slotted... The port volume need to exist somewhere. (Whereas with a PR the air mass become steel mass, which is way denser than air, and hence the volume it ~nil.)
If realestate is precious, as it seems to be in the OP's case, then some serious consideration as to whether a PR makes sense seems warranted.

If he/she has the room for a slotted, then that is definitely cheaper.

There is something unattractive (IMHO) with a leaf blower looking sub... )although I may end up doing that myself... which is for a slightly different (but related) reason.)
Old 08-13-2019   #24

Enthusiast

Quote:
Well I admit I like passives.
That 12M that I had posted earlier has something like 4" of excursion... and therefore is rated as only needing a single unit for a 12" sub.

The "total box" is going to be fatter with a slotted... The port volume need to exist somewhere. (Whereas with a PR the air mass become steel mass, which is way denser than air, and hence the volume it ~nil.)
If realestate is precious, as it seems to be in the OP's case, then some serious consideration as to whether a PR makes sense seems warranted.

If he/she has the room for a slotted, then that is definitely cheaper. ....
While those are all valid points, there are a number of additional considerations WRT PRs and their application. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a wealth of detailed information from first-hand experience; and to that extent, the uninitiated are sort of on their own.
Old 08-13-2019   #25

Enthusiast

Quote:
.... There is something unattractive (IMHO) with a leaf blower looking sub... ) ....
What's not to like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trw17-opener.jpg (40.1 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement