Focal ES100K looking to ditch the OEM crossover. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 37 James Cole will become famous soon enoughJames Cole will become famous soon enoughJames Cole will become famous soon enoughJames Cole will become famous soon enoughJames Cole will become famous soon enoughJames Cole will become famous soon enough

Default Focal ES100K looking to ditch the OEM crossover.

Hello Guys,

I have a set of Focal ES100K and the crossover is a pain to fit, I do have a DSP but only have one channel available for each set of mid/tweet.

Looking to add a filter or bass blocker to the tweeter.

They are crossed over OEM at: 12/12dB (3.5kHz)

FS is 1600hz

And these are the tweeter specs:

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foca...ical_sheet.pdf

What filter or bass blocker would be best to use so that I can wire them up together, the DSP would take care of not blowing the mid and I assume the filter would work in the tweet.

Similar to some coaxial systems that are not bi-ampable.

Thanks!
JC
James Cole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 372 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Focal ES100K looking to ditch the OEM crossover.

How is it that you have a DSP, but only 2 channels available? What are the other channels being used for? Your proposed plan could work, but it's not a good plan. You'll be able to use a cap to set a HPF on the tweeter, and the DSP for either a HPF or LPF on the mid, but not both. It's not ideal. What are you doing with the DSP that only leaves you with this option?
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 37 James Cole will become famous soon enoughJames Cole will become famous soon enoughJames Cole will become famous soon enoughJames Cole will become famous soon enoughJames Cole will become famous soon enoughJames Cole will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
How is it that you have a DSP, but only 2 channels available? What are the other channels being used for? Your proposed plan could work, but it's not a good plan. You'll be able to use a cap to set a HPF on the tweeter, and the DSP for either a HPF or LPF on the mid, but not both. It's not ideal. What are you doing with the DSP that only leaves you with this option?
Hello Joe,

This is an amp and dsp all in one from Helix that works as plug and play in BMWs all in one.

I cant free up any channels because they are all used.

The way I am thinking is I would only have to high pass the mids at around 200 hz then the tweeter filter will take care of the 3.5k and down.

I cant access more channels.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Any help guys?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 372 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

If the DSP was made for that car, why do you have extra speakers that don't have channels? Let us know more about what you did so we can help.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Because the OEM door speakers (mid and tweet) are wired inline with one channel on the amp and the tweeter has a capacitor in it.

I am trying to do the same only remove the crossover network from focal and just work with a filter/capacitor for the tweeter.

There really is no way to wire them active... I had other setups in other cars and active is much better. but in this one I can´t.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Rep Power: 80 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough

What you're trying to do, is a bad idea...

With that said; you've been rather vague on what you've got, and what you're trying to do...

As a fellow BMW owner, I know there isn't much room for a passive crossover. But it can (and should) be done...
Use the proper Focal crossover. Don't fuck around with a filter or bass blocker. You'll torch your tweeters.

I have passive crossovers in my rear doors, and if you've ever seen an Audiofrog crossover... they're MASSIVE. Almost twice the size of a Focal.

Get creative (I did).
Remove the guts of the crossover from the enclosure, and wrap it with something non-conductive. Electrical tape, if you have to.
This will dramatically reduce the size, and help you to fit it in the door.

jimmydee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Thanks for the response... finding the proper filter can you please elaborate why its a bad Idea? What am I missing here? I am just trying to mimic the OEM setup but with different drivers.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

Rep Power: 45 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

The mid is gonna try to play to 20k. That right there is gonna sound bad. And if you use just a capacitor for the tweeter it's only gonna drop off at 6db/octave. It will probably sound worse than the stock speakers that were in the car. They made it work because they had the knowledge of what both the speakers were doing. Maybe the stock mid had a natural rolloff that closely matched where the tweeter was crossed.

If you have to stay passive do what the previous post said. Make em fit. Can you run seperate wires to the mid and tweets. Put the crossover in the trunk? Or under the dash.
Mahapederdon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement