Ford Torino install - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008   #1

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Elite Auto Salon/eAsy fab co.
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

Rep Power: 0 TheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura about

Default Ford Torino install

I am looking at running a very basic setup in a 1970 Ford Torino. This is a restoration project that I do not want to modify heavily... I am strongly considering Focal 270V3's... I have always been a fan of the focal line up. My goals are minimal modification, great sound and a semi-factory look...

I would like to place the pair of 5 1/4's in the factory location (top center of dash) firing upward and maybe outward and back a little.

The tweeters in the a pillars as far foward as possible and aiming directly across at each other

The 10's (midbasses) are to be installed in the rear decklid like an IB sub setup would be done. I believe they are crossed over at 315 htz

No sub is planned at this point
head unit will be something lo end like an Alpine 9881
amp will be a Diamond audio d1 300.4 bridged to the focals (150x2)

Anyone know if I can fit a pair of 5 1/4's in this location?
Anyone know how the imaging, staging, height, depth might be?
Is this a f'd up idea all around?
Should i just plan nothing or plan to modify a bit?
Should I just stfu?

I know this is probably just a try it and let us know situation but any help I can get ahead of time would be appriciated. Thanks
TheDavel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 175 backwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Ford Torino install

how about some pictures?

I love doing installs in old cars. Just recently did a 65 nova for a friend...

"We tried so hard to create a society that was equal, where there'd be nothing to envy your neighbor..But there's always something to envy... Something you don't have and want to appropriate. In this world-even a Soviet one-
there will always be rich and poor..."
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008   #3

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

Rep Power: 0 TheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura aboutTheDavel has a spectacular aura about

The car isn't going to be picked up till next week and is not even going to make it to my house... I will take it straight to the paint shop for a full bead blast and paint... I will take some pics and post them up so people can see the before and after...

Old 08-01-2008   #4

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods View Post

I love doing installs in old cars. Just recently did a 65 nova for a friend...
I did a 65 nova back in Jan didn't even get to the point of speakers but I made new sets of door panels, rear deck lid, kicks and a consul... they are fun, like a blank canvas
Old 08-01-2008   #5

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

can anybody shed some light on this?
Old 08-01-2008   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 bhg41088 will become famous soon enoughbhg41088 will become famous soon enoughbhg41088 will become famous soon enoughbhg41088 will become famous soon enoughbhg41088 will become famous soon enoughbhg41088 will become famous soon enough

I believe that you should go with your idea, but aim the tweeters towards the middle of the drivers/passenger headrests, and cross the "midbass" around 60-70hz, and the mids around 85-100hz. The 315hz crossover will drag your stage back, and the tweeters firing into each other might cause cancellation but at the very least you'll have a shallow top end in they do not have great off axis response.

AC Delco
bhg41088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008   #7

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

Focal tweeters are an inverted dome tweeter that imo work best off axis as for the crossover points these will be running passive and the passive crossover has the 10's playing up to 315 htz
Old 08-01-2008   #8

Rep Power: 0 phoenix will become famous soon enoughphoenix will become famous soon enoughphoenix will become famous soon enoughphoenix will become famous soon enoughphoenix will become famous soon enoughphoenix will become famous soon enough

gotta post pics of this...can't wait to see!!!!
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008   #9

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

A little background on the car... My late father and I restored this car 17 years ago, we had it for 10 years and then sold it. Due to his recent passing I tracked down the person that we sold it too and bought it back. 17 years and this car was always outside is why it needs paint again. The below pics were taken 7 years back about a week before we sold it. Took me a minuite to dig them up.

Last edited by TheDavel; 08-01-2008 at 09:16 PM..
Old 08-01-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 946 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful, sweet baby jesus beautiful... and I don't like Fords

We had a torino when I was a toddler, but I remember it. Few good stories about that car....

The Zapco torino always gave me wood, would love to see pics of it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008   #11

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

It is getting painted pearl white again and thanks Chad I appriciate it... as soon as the it is back from paint I will post pics and will probably start the re-restoration/ deadning and install... Oh and on a side note it runs 12.9 currently with its tiny little small block 302
Old 08-01-2008   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 178 Dangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really nice

The inverted domes are most effective on axis from my experience, off axis is fairly poor unless you have them near windshields, etc where the reflections compensate a bit. Off axis does take away some of the "bite" those tweeters have which can be a very good thing as their inverted domes can be a little hot on certain music (mainly poor recordings).

Anyway, with all that effort and the sheer size of the slate you're working with, I'd do kick panels. Pretty reversable and also it will give better imaging than having two drivers dead center of the dash. Tweets in pillars and you should have a really good sounding setup.
Dangerranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008   #13

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

I thought about doing kicks and I guess I dont even need to affix them to the factory panels... I dont think the 10's will fit there but I know the 5 1/4 and tweet could... Maybe this is the way to go and just keep the idea of the 10's in the rear deck lid. Hmmm, I think I cant go wrong with the focals and I will just get the and do some trial and error positioning/listening... Seems like the best way to go... My only concern was possible probelms in the dash due to the space availible... Kicks would solve this and probably produce a better overall image/sound.
Old 08-01-2008   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 946 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDavel05 View Post
It is getting painted pearl white again and thanks Chad I appriciate it... as soon as the it is back from paint I will post pics and will probably start the re-restoration/ deadning and install... Oh and on a side note it runs 12.9 currently with its tiny little small block 302
I thought they had a 351, i SWORE my mom's did, in fact I may still have the sticker for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008   #15

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

Entry level has a 250 six, then a 302, 351, 390, 400 and 429... year and trim package dictated that... but for ectra dought you could have it your way back then...
Old 08-01-2008   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Axxis Audio Pagosa Springs
Position:
Manager/Custom Installer

Rep Power: 247 tr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond repute

very nice man, keep us posted
focal is a solid choice

Check us out on Facebook
www.axxisdurango.com
www.Hybrid-audio.com
Top 100 Installer 2010
tr0y_audi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009   #17

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

Just re-built the rear end and dropped it off for paint- The car will get all new weather stripping and interior when I get it back- I will keep you posted when I start the "install" and at that point will start an appropriate thread-

Old 02-25-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Car Teks Inc.
Position:
Jack of all trades

Rep Power: 152 Tonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enough

That is a badass car. And Im a chevy guy. But that is truly badass. I'd just lift the car a few inches (1 1/2"-2") to give it a little rake. GL on the system.
Tonyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009   #19

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

Thanks a bunch, always means a bit more when it comes from a chevy or mopar guy... I may just do that and raise it a tad- I have a pretty wicked valence that is going on it when I get it back too
Old 02-26-2009   #20

Rep Power: 0 Fustern will become famous soon enoughFustern will become famous soon enoughFustern will become famous soon enoughFustern will become famous soon enoughFustern will become famous soon enoughFustern will become famous soon enough

This car sure brings back memories from when I was a kid.
Fustern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 tintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enough

That was my first car. Goodtimes.
tintbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014   #22

Banned

Rep Power: 0 theoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enoughtheoldguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDavel View Post
I am looking at running a very basic setup in a 1970 Ford Torino.
Basic install my @ss. two 15's what?
theoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014   #23

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Manager/Fabricator/Owner

Maybe I need to update this thread or start my build log... the car has come a long way... its been painted, has an all new drive train, new interior, been in several shows, a catalogue, ect... I guess I need to get to the audio, since I have all the equipment sitting around.
Old 06-18-2014   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 162 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Please start a new posting listing what all has been done audio wise. I'm looking forward to reading it as this was one of my beater cars when I was young, and I never gave it what it truly needed...

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Pioneer 4800BS /Audison APK-165
Turbocharged / 6 speed / awd/ goodness ( For SALE )

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement