subwoofers with super tight suspension - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 166 mikemareen will become famous soon enoughmikemareen will become famous soon enoughmikemareen will become famous soon enoughmikemareen will become famous soon enoughmikemareen will become famous soon enoughmikemareen will become famous soon enough

Default subwoofers with super tight suspension

I just received a 10" mb quart PWE subwoofer, it was one of those subs that crutchfield was clearing out a few months back.

upon inspection of this sub I noticed that the suspension is super duper stiff with a super stiff spring like suspension.

Not only is it super stiff, it seems to be "pressurized" outward away from the magnet.

I don't see how this sub can get goiing with anything less than a real 600 watts rms of amplifier power.

what are the characteristics of subs like this ? why would a manufacturer-designer decide to make a subwoofer with such a stiff suspension ? what are the pro's ? the con's ?
mikemareen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 220 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Default Re: subwoofers with super tight suspension

Small box size, raising fs.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2006   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 166 mikemareen will become famous soon enoughmikemareen will become famous soon enoughmikemareen will become famous soon enoughmikemareen will become famous soon enoughmikemareen will become famous soon enoughmikemareen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdang
Small box size, raising fs.
what about some of the JL subwoofers? some of them are loose as a goose, the older JL w6 v.1 was loose as a whore's ***** and these are small box subs.

how do u explain that ?

Old 07-18-2006   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 220 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

12w6v1... has a vas of 162L and a box size of 3.8cft sealed for a butterworth alignment.

Old 07-18-2006   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 92 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemareen
what about some of the JL subwoofers? some of them are loose as a goose, the older JL w6 v.1 was loose as a whore's ***** and these are small box subs.

how do u explain that ?
The JL's aren't really what I would term a "small box" sub. The older round solobaric's would be a better example of a small box sub.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2006   #6

Rep Power: 188 sqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enough

I bought a sub and it came in almost exactly like how you described. I thought it was a sub with a really stiff suspension too. Little did I know, the motor/magnet was misaligned during shipping (no apparent damage to the sub). It's now somewhere in the backyard.
My suggestion, put that sub in a temp. box and feed some power to it to make sure it's working.
sqkev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2006   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqkev
I bought a sub and it came in almost exactly like how you described. I thought it was a sub with a really stiff suspension too. Little did I know, the motor/magnet was misaligned during shipping (no apparent damage to the sub). It's now somewhere in the backyard.
My suggestion, put that sub in a temp. box and feed some power to it to make sure it's working.
It is working, I hooked it up last night.

it is definitely not mis-aligned.
Old 07-18-2006   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 168 edwelly will become famous soon enoughedwelly will become famous soon enoughedwelly will become famous soon enoughedwelly will become famous soon enoughedwelly will become famous soon enoughedwelly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemareen
It is working, I hooked it up last night.

it is definitely not mis-aligned.
How does it sound?
edwelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2006   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 179 xencloud will become famous soon enoughxencloud will become famous soon enoughxencloud will become famous soon enoughxencloud will become famous soon enoughxencloud will become famous soon enoughxencloud will become famous soon enough

ok, so how does the DIYMA sub have small box requirements AND a low Fs? Or did I misread your first post as to the tradeoffs?
xencloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2006   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Higher mass, lower efficiency.

Old 07-18-2006   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwelly
How does it sound?
it is not bad, I think I'm way underpowering it so I don't want to pass judgement on it yet.

it's not as loud as my former JL 10w6v.2 but it seems to play alot tighter and punchier I'm currently giving it about 380 - 400 rms . I'm waiting on a 2500xxk to get repaired and I'll up a final review once I give it all it can take.

one thing is for sure, this sub is not as efficient as most subs available.

I'd clasify this sub as a 600-800 rms subwoofer, not the 400 rms that they claim. It is alot heavier than the 10w6v.2 and more comparable to a 10" boston G5 in terms of build and weight .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement