4" midrange possibilities? audax or avi - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2005   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 195 newtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enough

Default 4" midrange possibilities? audax or avi

just found a guy who stocks avi stuff (that supposedly guys rave over on diyaudio)

just wondeirng if any of you guys have heard thse two speakers ??

the audax HM100C0 ($50 each) 8 ohm

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/296-053.pdf

response graph looks cool

it drop from 90+db to about 700hz then it drops down to 87 db dont get that???

or the avi MXD-100 ($100 each) 4 ohm 12.6 oz magnet WOW lol

(and not like I need it, but sposedly the lxd-100 is better on the low end for better midbass??)

specs page

http://www.avisound.com/mid_devices/mxd100.htm#

and fyi guys he stocks the 2" FRM-70 also if they werent so costly id run 4 of em (90 each)

spec sheet

http://www.avisound.com/mid_devices/frm70.htm#

and they come in 4 ohm and 8 ohm SWEET

Last edited by newtitan; 08-12-2005 at 06:26 PM..
newtitan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2005   #2
cdj
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 176 cdj will become famous soon enoughcdj will become famous soon enoughcdj will become famous soon enoughcdj will become famous soon enoughcdj will become famous soon enoughcdj will become famous soon enough

Exclamation Re: 4" midrange possibilities? audax or avi

If you're looking at the Audax HM100CO, then this overview of Audax speakers might interest you.

http://ldsg.snippets.org/vendors/audax.php3

I'm looking at the HM100Z2 as a possibility for in-dash.

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind....14995&pid=138

cdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 195 newtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 4" midrange possibilities? audax or avi

yeah mine are in the apillars (well my vifa pl's) cross fired

so wichever I choose will go there to replace them

and the only issue I see with those aerogel (the Z version)

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/audax/hm100z2.pdf

versions is the lack of sensitivity its no better than the vifas I have now???
newtitan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2005   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 182 minitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to minitruck_freq

i just picked up a pair of Tang Band W3-879's. im thinking about doing a 3 way front stage in whatever i buy for a winter car.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-810

minitruck_freq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 219 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Quit posting pics and send me something to play with

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 182 minitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enoughminitruck_freq will become famous soon enough

i'd be glad to send u 1 of the w3-879's. i just need it back for install time.
Old 08-12-2005   #7
cdj
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 176 cdj will become famous soon enoughcdj will become famous soon enoughcdj will become famous soon enoughcdj will become famous soon enoughcdj will become famous soon enoughcdj will become famous soon enough

npdang,

Is a single speaker OK for your testing, or will a pair give better results? :-?
cdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 219 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

A single speaker is fine ....

I'm pretty free this coming week so will be doing alot of testing and posting.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 175 DearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished road

ah, so you have new speakers to test?

I'd like to send you my Mb quarts, but I'm absolutely broke. perhaps in the future. If I dont sell them. I'd like to see how the tests compare to how they sound. although subs are also on my wish lists to see tested. a W7 and ED subs especially.

hey would you please tell me if a TC2+ subs sounds as good as a W7.

note: I'll likely share your statement with others. not sure If you want to be responsible for that.

also you can find some info on a 4" audax driver and tweeter at

http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker14.html

Last edited by DearS; 08-12-2005 at 11:36 PM..
DearS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

audax ap100zo specs - http://www.madisound.com/pdf/audax/ap100z0.pdf

audax tm025f1 specs - http://www.madisound.com/pdf/audax/tm025f1.pdf
Old 08-13-2005   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 175 DearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished roadDearS is on a distinguished road

comparing the companies posted specs and the tested ones. their a bit different. sensitivity and response are different, by a bit after all is said and done.
DearS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2005   #12

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 263 DS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtitan
the audax HM100C0 ($50 each) 8 ohm
<snip>
it drop from 90+db to about 700hz then it drops down to 87 db dont get that???
Measurement error. I know a few people who bought this driver (or the HM130C0, which measures similarly) thinking that it would simplify the crossover design by self-compensating for baffle step in a 6-7" wide minimonitor enclosure, and found that to not at all be the case. Audax also made a HM100Z0, and I'm a big fan of their Aerogel (HD-A) cone. I don't know if anyone still has any in stock, though. Any HM-series Audax driver has a good motor, though not one up to Excel standards. They were also among the first driver-makers to produce modern baskets, with under-spider ventilation.

One thing that may be an issue for you is that the Audax drivers are all discontinued. That is, when current stocks dry up, they're gone. That said, the Aerogel ("HD-A") drivers produce some extremely compelling midrange. Outstanding detail with a electrostatic-like quickness to transients that's lacking in some of the modern designs, including the Seas Excels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtitan
and fyi guys he stocks the 2" FRM-70 also if they werent so costly id run 4 of em (90 each)
That's the kind of thing that annoys me about the car-fi industry. 150Hz extension my ass. OK, it has roughly twice the cone area of the Aura Whisper? However, it also has all of ONE-THIRTIETH the xmax! If they've designed it to allow crossovers as low as 150Hz, as implied in their specifications, then what that REALLY means is that they designed so much DYNAMIC COMPRESSION into the driver that you can forget about anything resembling actual music to emerge from it. That would be sad, because AVI made one of only three explicitly car-fi mains sets I've ever heard that were remotely worth a damn, a coincident/dual-concentric driver with a fiberglass (IIRC) cone. (The other two were the KEF KAR System 160Q's, using their Uni-Q coincident configuration, that have homes in the doors of my CitroŽn, and amazingly enough a ~$100 6.5 coax from JBL - GTO622 I think it was, Bob Johann competed with them for a while and turned me on to them - that not coincidentally used the same type of tweeter mounting as the AVI, KEF KAR, and the currently available Seas H1144/H1333.)
DS-21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement