Matching Amps for 3 Way Active Front Stage - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 150 braves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enough

Default Matching Amps for 3 Way Active Front Stage

Would love some opinions for a pair of efficient, budget friendly, matching amps to power a 3 way front stage.

Processing and head unit will be an alpine cda 9887.

Tweeters: Morel Supremo Piccolos
Mids: Dynaudio 240/2
Woofers: Usher 8945P

As of now, I'm thinking of getting two Clarion APX4361's since their a forum boner and can be had for $440 shipped for both. I would bridge one for the woofers, and the other would have the tweets and mids.....

However, I just wanted some verification and insight into what everyone thinks....

Audison/Usher/Morel/Dyn/IDQ
braves6117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 204 FoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Matching Amps for 3 Way Active Front Stage

Not as much power, but quite a bit cheaper and Zeff designed (similar to that Clarion, Zapco, Arc, etc) CERWIN VEGA EXL-400.4
FoxPro5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 150 braves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
Not as much power, but quite a bit cheaper and Zeff designed (similar to that Clarion, Zapco, Arc, etc) CERWIN VEGA EXL-400.4
Shoot, that's not half bad for half the price of the clarions!

My only concern would be the power to my 8 ohm Woofers, they seem to need more power to open up...

Would you feel comfortable driving 8 ohm woofers @ a rated 200 watts at 4 ohms?

Old 07-01-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 204 FoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves6117 View Post
Would you feel comfortable driving 8 ohm woofers @ a rated 200 watts at 4 ohms?
Yes. I'm personally not concerned with "ohmage." I've ran high efficiency (97 dB rated) 8 ohm and low efficiency 4 ohm (86 dB rated) and the difference is so minimal it's not even worth the concern. Take for instance, a 4 ohm version of a mid and put it in a door with the same power as it's 8 ohm sister mounted in a kick with 3 pi steradians loading...and what do you get? See what I'm sayin? Install, install, install. Buy as much power as you can afford. If you're not comfortable with the brand name on the amp or the part number on the op amps, get your Sharpie out and write "Sinfoni" on the case and "Burr Brown" on the inside.
FoxPro5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
If you're not comfortable with the brand name on the amp or the part number on the op amps, get your Sharpie out and write "Sinfoni" on the case and "Burr Brown" on the inside.

Maybe a nice, gold flowing ink autograph sharpie??

Old 07-01-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

I'd be all over those CV amps if they weren't so ugly.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 151 TREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If you're not comfortable with the brand name on the amp or the part number on the op amps, get your Sharpie out and write "Sinfoni" on the case and "Burr Brown" on the inside.
That's sig line material right there.
TREETOP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 pionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura about

Not sure what car you drive, how much room you have, or if you already have a sub amp, but....I am partial to the JL Slash series and you can find the V1's cheap. I like that stability of them. You could run a 500/5 and 300/2 ([email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]) or if you wanted rear fill a 500/5 and 300/4([email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] w/ Ambience setting).

I am planning to do one of the two personally in my own vehicle, but it is a 2 seat hatch-back 300zx so the 250w with an efficient, ported 12" and cabin gain should be enough output on the 250w channel. Don't know if that is enough for you.
pionkej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 166 boarder124 will become famous soon enoughboarder124 will become famous soon enoughboarder124 will become famous soon enoughboarder124 will become famous soon enoughboarder124 will become famous soon enoughboarder124 will become famous soon enough

Amazon.com: Phoenix Gold RSD250.2 200-Watt 2-Channel Vehicle Amplifier: Electronics I just picked up 3 of these amps and they are a steal for $60 shipped imho. Just pick up 4 or 5 of these and you should be good to go.
boarder124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 mSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mSaLL150

Get two Cadence iA4 amplifiers. Bridge one for midbass, use the other for mids/tweets. They can be had fairly cheap at powermaxelectronics.com and they come with a 5 year warranty.

Also, how are you going to do a 3-way front plus sub with just a 9887 for processing? Are you going to run the tweeters/mids on a passive crossover or am I missing something?

2013 Focus ST - In Progress! - MyFordTouch - Audison - Phoenix Gold - Scanspeak - Dayton - Stereo Integrity
mSaLL150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 pionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSaLL150 View Post
Get two Cadence iA4 amplifiers. Bridge one for midbass, use the other for mids/tweets. They can be had fairly cheap at powermaxelectronics.com and they come with a 5 year warranty.

Also, how are you going to do a 3-way front plus sub with just a 9887 for processing? Are you going to run the tweeters/mids on a passive crossover or am I missing something?
If you ran 3-way that way you would have to make sure the mids/tweets were right beside each other for T/A to be effective. You could also set a low pass only on the midbass channel on the H/U, split the rca's to go to the sub channel and the midbass channel and the use the amps lp for the subs and hp for the midsbass. The problem with this is whatever T/A you did to the midbass would also affect the sub.

There are always compromises in a situation like this.
pionkej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 389 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pair of JL 300/4's although Im not sure if its what your looking for power wise.
You can do 75x4 and bridge the second to 150x2. You can see my FS thread on them in that section.

As for other options (new), I'd probably be looking at deals on the Arc Foose FD line as they are based off the cxlr design (with improvements) and I loved those amps. Maybe also the Elf Audio version of the Arc Mini's. Zed has a new 6 channel coming out this summer that is looking like it will be pretty sweet as well.

------------------------------------------------------
2018 Iasca ProAm Champion
2018 Meca Extreme 2nd Place

2018 Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 dbest2918 will become famous soon enoughdbest2918 will become famous soon enoughdbest2918 will become famous soon enoughdbest2918 will become famous soon enoughdbest2918 will become famous soon enoughdbest2918 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves6117 View Post
Would love some opinions for a pair of efficient, budget friendly, matching amps to power a 3 way front stage.

Processing and head unit will be an alpine cda 9887.

Tweeters: Morel Supremo Piccolos
Mids: Dynaudio 240/2
Woofers: Usher 8945P

As of now, I'm thinking of getting two Clarion APX4361's since their a forum boner and can be had for $440 shipped for both. I would bridge one for the woofers, and the other would have the tweets and mids.....

However, I just wanted some verification and insight into what everyone thinks....
There is a SWEET 8 channel ADS amplifier in the for sale section that would work perfect to drive a 3 way front stage. It is configurable to 40 watts x 4 and 120 watts x 2 of sweet, smooth, dynamic groove. It also has all the high and low pass built in for this type of application.
P.S. I have it for sale. It's in excellent condition.

Team; Working Stiff.
Alpine W205/H701 - Arc Audio SE 4200 - Arc Audio SE 2300 - SEAS W16NX - LCY-108 - (2) DIYMA 12"s - Big pile of used gear.
dbest2918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement