Removing butyl CLD from butyl rubber speaker surround... impossible? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 shadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enough

Default Removing butyl CLD from butyl rubber speaker surround... impossible?

So, I used some CLD in a way I probably shouldn't have (as a shim for the door card), and of course, on a hot day the pressure of the door card pushing on it caused some to ooze out all over the beautiful surround of my Exclusive 7" in the door.

I tried to use a piece of CLD to 'grab' onto the big sticky hunk latched on to it, but it seems like it somehow bonded to the surround already. I was able to get about 60-70% off, but thats it. So now about 2" of the surround basically have this goo stuck to it, and I can figure out how to get it off safely. It doesn't seem to affect the movement of the surround much, but I'm sure its having some sort of affect on the sound or movement of the cone as it is definitely stiffer then the rest of the surround.

So do I just have to live with this and maybe try to find a recone kit? Or is there something that can be done?

Pioneer PREMIER
Zed/Arc/Diamond ~ Seas\Peerless\DIYMA12
shadowfactory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 freemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enoughfreemind will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Removing butyl CLD from butyl rubber speaker surround... impossible?

Acetone?
freemind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 shadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Removing butyl CLD from butyl rubber speaker surround... impossible?

That won't eat away at the surround? I thought acetone dissolved plastics and rubber (and the glue holding down the surround)? If not I'm going to kick myself for not thinking of such a simple solution.

Pioneer PREMIER

Last edited by shadowfactory; 08-29-2009 at 02:46 AM..

Old 08-29-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 simplyclean will become famous soon enoughsimplyclean will become famous soon enoughsimplyclean will become famous soon enoughsimplyclean will become famous soon enoughsimplyclean will become famous soon enoughsimplyclean will become famous soon enough

Goo-gone. It's great for removing adhesives from stickers and decals.
simplyclean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 Torquem will become famous soon enoughTorquem will become famous soon enoughTorquem will become famous soon enoughTorquem will become famous soon enoughTorquem will become famous soon enoughTorquem will become famous soon enough

goo gone works well on butyl, but Im not sure how it would react to the surround.
Torquem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009   #6
ogg
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 151 ogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enough

I would be extremely careful with any solvent on your surround, maybe try rubbing alcohol. Often your best bet with butyl is to get it a bit dirty and try to "roll" it off a little bit at a time with your thumb, it should come off in little balls. I've had good luck with this even on fabric.
ogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll try out a TINY bit of rubbing alcohol and the dirty finger approach and see what happens.

Pioneer PREMIER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement