Why is my amp going into "protect" mode? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 180 Sephiroth619 will become famous soon enoughSephiroth619 will become famous soon enoughSephiroth619 will become famous soon enoughSephiroth619 will become famous soon enoughSephiroth619 will become famous soon enoughSephiroth619 will become famous soon enough

Default Why is my amp going into "protect" mode?

I have a DLS A5 amplifier and got it installed yesterday. I'm not happy with the output on the subwoofer channel. The amp is rated 780 watts @ 1 ohm and it's nowhere near as the output of my Directed amp that does 600 watts @ 1 ohm. What gives?

So whenever I turn the volume up a bit, the amp goes into protect mode. Does anyone know why it would do that?

Formerly sephiroth619 - Capitalized 12.31.07
Sephiroth619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2006   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 200 legend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Why is my amp going into "protect" mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth619
I have a DLS A5 amplifier and got it installed yesterday. I'm not happy with the output on the subwoofer channel. The amp is rated 780 watts @ 1 ohm and it's nowhere near as the output of my Directed amp that does 600 watts @ 1 ohm. What gives?

So whenever I turn the volume up a bit, the amp goes into protect mode. Does anyone know why it would do that?
I cant comment on the problem, but I will say that I was very impressed with the power of my friends Directed amp that was rated at 600x1.

Alpine 164--Alpine V9--ScanSpeak D3004--Alpine SPX-17Pro--(2)DIYMA12
legend94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006   #3

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 zfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished road

we need more info... type of sub. type of box etc... give some details

saw this and had to put it here:
you cant polish a turd, but you can always chrome it! -Nasser Abo Abdo, president of audiobahn

--with enough hot glue you can install anything"
zfactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 180 Sephiroth619 will become famous soon enoughSephiroth619 will become famous soon enoughSephiroth619 will become famous soon enoughSephiroth619 will become famous soon enoughSephiroth619 will become famous soon enoughSephiroth619 will become famous soon enough

Think I figured it out.

On DLS's website, it states that the amp is 1 ohm stable. On the manual, it states "DLS A5 mono channel is 1.33 ohm stable." Even then they recommend/require an external fan.

Basically, I ran my subs down to one ohm, when I turned the volume up a bit, the amp went into protect mode. I disconnected one sub and am now running the one sub at 2 ohms. It's stable but less output.

Sucks.

Old 11-07-2006   #5

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 zfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished road

it should not have cut out like that though a 1ohm... if anything it would have got super hot before shutting down

you cant polish a turd, but you can always chrome it! -Nasser Abo Abdo, president of audiobahn

Old 11-07-2006   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Well, I spoke to Eng (Dualsomething) and he recommended that I lower the gain on my components and keep the gain at 3.5v-4v on teh subwoofer channel. I'm going to try it out, it sounds very promising. Because my components are really LOUD!! and the subwoofer channel isn't keeping up.

As many people that I've chatted to have already mentioned, it's more of a tuning problem than the amp itself.

Old 11-07-2006   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 200 legend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfactor
it should not have cut out like that though a 1ohm... if anything it would have got super hot before shutting down

i dont know as much as zfactor, but from experience that has happened to me before.....but ive never used dls amps, so maybe they are smarter than other amps

Alpine 164--Alpine V9--ScanSpeak D3004--Alpine SPX-17Pro--(2)DIYMA12
legend94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 188 dual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to dual700

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth619
Well, I spoke to Eng (Dualsomething) and he recommended that I lower the gain on my components and keep the gain at 3.5v-4v on teh subwoofer channel. I'm going to try it out, it sounds very promising. Because my components are really LOUD!! and the subwoofer channel isn't keeping up.

As many people that I've chatted to have already mentioned, it's more of a tuning problem than the amp itself.
LOL!
Yeah, A5 shares the sub power with front channels, FYI. If you run front channels to 2 ohm, the power going to sub channel will decrease...
I had my A4 powering midrange and midbass, a5 tweeters and 3 lotus sub.
I break 140 np...

So, what's your finding?

Npdang is a sexy mofo
dual700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

^So far, better results in terms of loudness with the sub. The component gain is set at dead minimum and its still relatively loud, which is a good thing. Now the subs are able to keep up. I still only have one sub hooked up, at 2 ohms. I'm going to hook up the pair tomorrow morning.

Old 11-08-2006   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 188 dual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enough

Oh yeah, just making sure, the sub channels' crossover is set properly at the amp, right? I set mine at 125 hz LP (non defeatable) and my H701 at 80 hz..

Npdang is a sexy mofo
Old 11-08-2006   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

The amp is set at 50hz, and crossover on the headunit at 50hz as well.

Old 11-08-2006   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 solacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to solacedagony Send a message via AIM to solacedagony Send a message via MSN to solacedagony

Remember that the two crossover slopes are going to add together for a steeper slope.
solacedagony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2006   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

I'd turn off the crossover on the HU.

Npdang is a sexy mofo
Old 11-08-2006   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 946 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

I think running an amp at one ohm is crazy, that's damn near a dead short.

Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2006   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 nadaclue will become famous soon enoughnadaclue will become famous soon enoughnadaclue will become famous soon enoughnadaclue will become famous soon enoughnadaclue will become famous soon enoughnadaclue will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
I think running an amp at one ohm is crazy, that's damn near a dead short.

Chad

I knew guys in the 90's that ran Adcom amps at 1/4 ohm all day long. Now that's crazy.
nadaclue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2006   #16

Enthusiast

we have run customers a5's at 1ohm with no problems.. they do get hot though... if you are running the front at 2 ohms it could i guess pose a bit more of a issue but still the amp shouldnt just clip out... if it was the heat it would take a bit of time before it shut down

Old 11-08-2006   #17

Enthusiast

btw have you checked the setup for clipped signals?? any chance of gtting a o-scop on there to make sure they are set right??

Old 11-09-2006   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 946 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfactor
btw have you checked the setup for clipped signals?? any chance of gtting a o-scop on there to make sure they are set right??

That's tough to do with music. It can be done with a signal generator but remember that a sine wave is not music and has no crest factor. Doing it with a signal generator and an O-Scope will undersell yourself on possible gain.

There was a gizmo called a clip cop that could be built as a kit that consisted of a Piezo element listening for the harmonics of clipping. Never tried it with music but I imagine it would be way easier than trying to catch a clipped signal from music on a scope. It can also be done with a digital storage scope and a pulse generator so that you can adjust the crest factor scenario.

Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement