Porting a Midbass - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 172 foley316 will become famous soon enoughfoley316 will become famous soon enoughfoley316 will become famous soon enoughfoley316 will become famous soon enoughfoley316 will become famous soon enoughfoley316 will become famous soon enough

Default Porting a Midbass

A few Questions if I may:

1) Besides an extended frequency range, are there any benefits to this setup?
2) Does the port direction change staging?
3) Has anyone done this and what effect positive or negative did it show?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
foley316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2005   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 172 rutger j will become famous soon enoughrutger j will become famous soon enoughrutger j will become famous soon enoughrutger j will become famous soon enoughrutger j will become famous soon enoughrutger j will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Porting a Midbass

I know one guy here in Sweden that put a port in his midbass box.
Before I tell You what his conslusion of this was, I need to tell You that the box was incorprotaed into his dashboard, with the port and speaker facing up and into the windshield.

The conclusion:
He eventually sealed the boxes...!!!
The ports made so much noise that it was annoying and it also affected the sound...

This doesn´t mean that it want work for You, but I would make a testbox and listen to it before I make it "final" so to speak...

Good luck.

Best Wishes
Rutger

Last edited by rutger j; 08-29-2005 at 08:42 AM..
rutger j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2005   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 178 racerraul will become famous soon enoughracerraul will become famous soon enoughracerraul will become famous soon enoughracerraul will become famous soon enoughracerraul will become famous soon enoughracerraul will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to racerraul Send a message via MSN to racerraul

I have to ask... why port a midbass??? To do without a sub?

My RAM "... this vehicle sports a motor with hemispherical combustion chambers."
racerraul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2005   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 172 foley316 will become famous soon enoughfoley316 will become famous soon enoughfoley316 will become famous soon enoughfoley316 will become famous soon enoughfoley316 will become famous soon enoughfoley316 will become famous soon enough

In theory, the extension of the lower frequencies from the ported midbass will increase the ability for the midbass to transition into the bass region. The lower in frequency I play my subs, I believe, the better the up front bass imaging will be. I understand the problems with vent noise but it has been my experience with subs that a properly designed vented enclosure has little to no port noise. How well this will work in the higher frequencies I have no idea. I just wonder if the direction of the driver not the direction of the port will dictate imaging or is it a combination of the two.
Old 08-29-2005   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 198 AzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enough

There was a guy who stuffed 52 (yes 52) 6" drivers in a snailshell-bandpass configuration (sorta like how BLOSE does their designs) and it did something like 150+dbs. So there is a advantage to doing it, just needs to match your actual needs or desire to do so.

**FOR NOW**
Stock 2008 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 (Sad to say with Bose system <--the wifey's choice)

Last edited by AzGrower; 08-29-2005 at 03:13 PM..
AzGrower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2005   #6
GMo
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 173 GMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enoughGMo will become famous soon enough

As an addition to what's already been said, here's my thoughts;

Some of the problems you'd encounter would be:
-Controlling the resonance damping through a combination of box size and driver selection
-Tuning the box to meet the response characteristics you want (especially since most of us who would use a ported box wouldn't have very much room)
-Step response, due to size restriction
-Phase variations of port response vs front speaker wave
-Port noise, like you guys said
-Stop band attenuation
-maybe more...

Some of the benefits:
-More efficiency
-Higher SPL over a small band around tuning
-Stop band attenuation, (yea good and bad as per application)
-Having the ability to tune the box. (same, good and bad)
GMo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2005   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 174 mbcouple will become famous soon enoughmbcouple will become famous soon enoughmbcouple will become famous soon enoughmbcouple will become famous soon enoughmbcouple will become famous soon enoughmbcouple will become famous soon enough

AVI, one of the "better" mobile market brands suggests porting most of their speakers. I personally prefer a sealed driver, and just feed it more power, but manufacturers do design ported mids.
mbcouple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2005   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

The more I read the more that little voice in the back of my head is saying keep it simple stupid.
Old 08-29-2005   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 178 racerraul will become famous soon enoughracerraul will become famous soon enoughracerraul will become famous soon enoughracerraul will become famous soon enoughracerraul will become famous soon enoughracerraul will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to racerraul Send a message via MSN to racerraul

Quote:
Originally Posted by foley316
The more I read the more that little voice in the back of my head is saying keep it simple stupid.
My thoughts exactly... Just seems like too much trouble for minimal gains (if any), IMO.

My RAM "... this vehicle sports a motor with hemispherical combustion chambers."
racerraul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2005   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 Casedot will become famous soon enoughCasedot will become famous soon enoughCasedot will become famous soon enoughCasedot will become famous soon enoughCasedot will become famous soon enoughCasedot will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Casedot Send a message via MSN to Casedot Send a message via Yahoo to Casedot

i wouldn't do it for a couple reasons, the first being that it would be a b**ch to incorporate into a door. You could do it, i've thought about it and planned it, but it wouldn't be easy. Second, from the fr graphs i have seen for ported enclosures, it seems like there is a boost centered around a small band of frequencies. This is great for subs cause they play a limmited number of frqs, but I want my midbass to be as smooth as possible. IMO, for a car, it would be much better to put the midbass in a larger sealed enlosure. That way you wouldn't have a big boost in only one freq. but give you decent lowend extension, and be a lot louder than IB.
Casedot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement