Processor selection - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 Sr SQ will become famous soon enoughSr SQ will become famous soon enoughSr SQ will become famous soon enoughSr SQ will become famous soon enoughSr SQ will become famous soon enoughSr SQ will become famous soon enough

Default Processor selection

Evening gentlemen
I have done hours of reading and still I am unsure on a couple of items and hope perhaps you can help me out. I have recently purchased these speakers from one of the members (c0mpl3x) Seas L18RNX/P~27 TAFNC/D~Peerless Exclusives 4.5 and need a processor to run them.
I was looking at the Alpine PXA-H700 but wondered how much of a loss I would have by using it with my Eclipse 8061? I realize it would be better to go with a Alpine HU that could send the signal via a optical cable but I really have become attached to my old dinosaur of a HU and think it was one of the better units of its time. I see many people run the PPI processor with just the RCA hook-ups and no complaints can this not be done with the Alpine?
Any suggestions? Thanks
Sr SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 172 scott_fx will become famous soon enoughscott_fx will become famous soon enoughscott_fx will become famous soon enoughscott_fx will become famous soon enoughscott_fx will become famous soon enoughscott_fx will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Processor selection

i ran the pxa-h700 with both the rca and digital inputs and the rca did do a great job but the digital was definately better. since you already have the eclipse that you love, why dont you just try it out with that (and the RUX controller). if YOU are happy with the sound then you'll be good too go, if you aren't happy then you can sell the rux and eclipse and probably get a worthy alpine for about the same price.

New System in progress:
M10k
Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
Phaze LDX-23 active x-over
Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ tc-9
Crystal DAC ~ Joshua Tree Stepped Attenuator
Transreflective Xenarc

My [old]Car Pc Install
scott_fx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 alphakenny1 will become famous soon enoughalphakenny1 will become famous soon enoughalphakenny1 will become famous soon enoughalphakenny1 will become famous soon enoughalphakenny1 will become famous soon enoughalphakenny1 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to alphakenny1

just hope that you don't run into some noise by running analog with the h700. i've heard some cars having major noise and some don't. i guess its a hit or miss thing. i'm running digital and its great.

HU/Processing: W200/H701
Drivers: IDQ12D2v3/Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas neo Alum
Amps: Alpine PDX 4.150/4.150
alphakenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 Sr SQ will become famous soon enoughSr SQ will become famous soon enoughSr SQ will become famous soon enoughSr SQ will become famous soon enoughSr SQ will become famous soon enoughSr SQ will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies guys
Would the noise you speak of not be a common trait with all analog hook-ups to digital processors? Or is it a trait of the Alpine unit only?Thanks
Old 01-03-2007   #5

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 254 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

You might want to be careful with the max RCA output voltage from your eclipse headunit, the H700 has a fixed input sensitivity of 2 volts on the Non-Ainet analog input. If the eclipse is over that you will overdrive the input stage on the H700 and possibly damage it. Proper use would be to use RUX remote controller as your master volume and set the eclipse output to as close to 2 volts as you can if it is able to go to or over 2 volts, if it can't them you won't be able to feed it the CLEAN needed voltage requirement to supply the clean 4 volt output rating on the H700. The H700 online manual in the alpine site gives you a step by step on how to do this (look for Non-Ainet headunit connections)
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 208 FoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2
You might want to be careful with the max RCA output voltage from your eclipse headunit, the H700 has a fixed input sensitivity of 2 volts on the Non-Ainet analog input. If the eclipse is over that you will overdrive the input stage on the H700 and possibly damage it. Proper use would be to use RUX remote controller as your master volume and set the eclipse output to as close to 2 volts as you can if it is able to go to or over 2 volts, if it can't them you won't be able to feed it the CLEAN needed voltage requirement to supply the clean 4 volt output rating on the H700. The H700 online manual in the alpine site gives you a step by step on how to do this (look for Non-Ainet headunit connections)
Can you provide proof of this happening?? Just curious.
FoxPro5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007   #7

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 254 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/pro...XA-H701_om.pdf

Page 5 on this manual, best way to set it is like Npdang describes in his tutorial same way as described on the manual page
Old 01-03-2007   #8

Enthusiast

Oh, my bad B-squad, did not notice the highlighted part of your post so misunderstood your question. I remember reading it somewhere before, not completely sure if its true but still it is definitely something to take into concideration if not they would not have clipping indicators on that input
Old 01-03-2007   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 208 FoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enough

Ok, well I'm not calling BS on you or anything. But remember that those ratings are measured at max unclipped volume on the HU using sine waves.

I think the best real world example is Arc Audio XXK amps having a max input sensitivity of 2.5v. I've never seen or heard of anyone having problems with a high voltage signal damaging those amps.

But, at the same time, I guess it pays to be cautious. I just don't know if it would pose a significant enough issue.
Old 01-03-2007   #10

Enthusiast

True, I could be wrong about the damaging it part but my main concern would still be more about putting too much from the headunit (if it does put out MUCH more then 2 volts) thus limiting the range of volume on the headunit and having to worry about putting the volume too high one day by mistake and sending a severly clipped signal from the H700 to the amps to amplify.
Old 01-03-2007   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2
Hummmm Thanks for the heads up I never thought of that
I have had issue in the past with the high output voltage of the Eclipse ( 8v unbalanced/16v balanced) and some of the older amps at higher volume levels. Perhaps I need to rethink this H700 move and look at another route?
Old 01-03-2007   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr SQ
Hummmm Thanks for the heads up I never thought of that
I have had issue in the past with the high output voltage of the Eclipse ( 8v unbalanced/16v balanced) and some of the older amps at higher volume levels. Perhaps I need to rethink this H700 move and look at another route?
What issues did you have?

Have you ever measured the output voltage across the signal leads with dynamic music??
Old 01-03-2007   #13

Rep Power: 0 T3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enoughT3mpest will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Squad

Have you ever measured the output voltage across the signal leads with dynamic music??
That was my thought as well. Eclipse hu's put out full voltage on a 1k signal played at max volume, I'm assuming that unclipped, but some hu's fudge that figure too! For music your looking at less than 1 volt for all, but the highest of transients, even then, unless it's a 1k tone, again at full volume to begin with, you still won't see 8 volts. Even if you did, it's a small fraction of second before it dissipates.
T3mpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2007   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Squad

No sir I haven't, truthfully that is way above my head and wouldn't know how to do it or what the results would mean. As you can tell I am past the " hook the pos speaker wire to the + side of the speaker...................and so on" so deeply over my head, however I am trying to learn. The issue I had was with my old SS Reference amps. When I got this HU the amps sounded terrible and I was unable to find a setting with the gains that had a reasonable output level without getting all distorted. So after a few trips to the local audio shop and a couple of emails to SS the consensus was that the output voltage of this HU was to high for these older amps?Hey what do I know it sounded reasonable and these amps were impressive with my old Nac tape deck. I then tried substituting in my older PPI AM series amps and bingo no issues at all. I wish I understood more? However I have gone ahead and purchased a PXA-H700 and when it arrives I will try and get it to work with the Eclipse HU and if I cant I will just swap it out for a Alpine unit with the optical output. Thanks for your replys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement